Moving an electric supply and meter

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Anyone done this recently? Is it worth trying to find a private contractor rather than going through the Network supplier? Any rough guess as to cost?

Were hoping to move our supply from the back wall to the front wall, we do know the supply comes under the house so should be a cable at the front of the property

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
In November we had a new supply from the pole to a building. The total distance was less than 30m and the cost was £3,600. (This did not include the meter box, or connection) We also costed it out by sub contracting the excavation work and it wasn't any cheaper.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
In November we had a new supply from the pole to a building. The total distance was less than 30m and the cost was £3,600. (This did not include the meter box, or connection) We also costed it out by sub contracting the excavation work and it wasn't any cheaper.

Thanks Clive

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If the cable comes in at the front of the house, surely there shouldnt be much in the way of trenching, just resighting your meter unit, and then the associated costs of rewiring the house to accomodate that......or have I misinterpreted it?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If the cable comes in at the front of the house, surely there shouldnt be much in the way of trenching, just resighting your meter unit, and then the associated costs of rewiring the house to accomodate that......or have I misinterpreted it?

As far as we are aware its underground in the front of the house and then goes under the slab (though not 100% certain) and then comes up at the rear of the property

D

Deleted member 1740

Anyone done this recently? Is it worth trying to find a private contractor rather than going through the Network supplier? Any rough guess as to cost?

Were hoping to move our supply from the back wall to the front wall, we do know the supply comes under the house so should be a cable at the front of the property

I know the gas is £1250 as my customer has just done the reverse.

I'm certain any alterations to the main has to be done by supplier.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I know the gas is £1250 as my customer has just done the reverse.

I'm certain any alterations to the main has to be done by supplier.

cheers Stu, could stomach that

I thought there were other firms accredited to be able to do the works on private property these days but will look into more once the network supplier come back to us

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
As far as we are aware its underground in the front of the house and then goes under the slab (though not 100% certain) and then comes up at the rear of the property

Seems odd that the utility company would install the cable under the house, they normally put it to the front or under the stairs etc.
Anyway it’s quite a mission, you will need to contact UKPN to install a new supply, they will trace the cable, splice a joint and install a new supply to a meter box that you will need to get installed to the external front of the house (and depending if your existing cable only serves your house they will “pot” off the redundant cable.) you need to install something called a “hockey stick” which is a 50mm plastic pipe with a gentle bend on the end of it for UKPN to pull the cable through,/ You then will need to get a sub-main cable from this new meter position to your consumer unit.

Costs I would expect to be about £5k depending on where your mains cable is.

Last edited:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You can just phone up the supply company who will give you a quote.

They should have maps showing where the supply comes in to your house.

I nearly fell off my seat though when they quoted £6000 for connecting a separate supply to an annexe.

As per Stu the gas company wanted a very reasonable amount (around £1200).

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
You can just phone up the supply company who will give you a quote.

They should have maps showing where the supply comes in to your house.

I nearly fell off my seat though when they quoted £6000 for connecting a separate supply to an annexe.

As per Stu the gas company wanted a very reasonable amount (around £1200).

youd think but turns out trying to call them doesnt work, have to fill in an application and get a surveyor out it seems

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
thanks for this and your above post, have emailed them some questions to see whether its even worth proceeding any further

If your going to pay to have moved anyways would it be much more to get a 3 phased supply installed at same time?

Future proofing

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
thanks for this and your above post, have emailed them some questions to see whether its even worth proceeding any further

They are pretty good tbh although a bit slow to reply, if you get as far as getting a quote they will break down what (if any) elements of the works are Contestable, I.e can be done by another sub-contractor. Some things are and some are not. They will also list what you need to do, (meter box, hockey stick, relocation of Meter etc) you also need to consider the work involved in either re-supplying your existing fuse board or relocating it.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
They are pretty good tbh although a bit slow to reply, if you get as far as getting a quote they will break down what (if any) elements of the works are Contestable, I.e can be done by another sub-contractor. Some things are and some are not. They will also list what you need to do, (meter box, hockey stick, relocation of Meter etc) you also need to consider the work involved in either re-supplying your existing fuse board or relocating it.

thanks again F&D, most helpful

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We had ours moved as part of an extension last summer. Our builders did the excavation and UK power networks moved both the meter and the supply without involving our supplier (but we don’t have a smart meter). We needed a sparky to certify in advance and then connect it up to the consumer unit.

They will find a point at the front of the property where the cable comes in, cut it off, and connect from there. It’s a per metre charge plus a standard connection fee I think. We moved ours about 7 metres and the charge was around £1,200 I think. Can check exactly if you need me to.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
We had ours moved as part of an extension last summer. Our builders did the excavation and UK power networks moved both the meter and the supply without involving our supplier (but we don’t have a smart meter). We needed a sparky to certify in advance and then connect it up to the consumer unit.

They will find a point at the front of the property where the cable comes in, cut it off, and connect from there. It’s a per metre charge plus a standard connection fee I think. We moved ours about 7 metres and the charge was around £1,200 I think. Can check exactly if you need me to.

Thats great thanks, thats kind of exactly what were hoping for

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Well thats scuppered that :(

UK Power Networks came out this morning and it seems the power supply comes from the road behind the house and right through the middle of the back garden under the lawn. No connection at all at the front of the property. Plan to move it cancelled and being rethought and now to discuss with exactly where the sewage treatment plant tank was supposed to be going lol