MotoGP 2023

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I know there's a lot of conversation around Formula 1, but there must be a fair few on here who follow the Moto GP series.

The season opener in Portugal last weekend was a great start to what I hope will be a cracking season. No spoilers but the newly introduced sprint race produced some cracking racing and, if it carries on like that, will be a great addition to the series.
It's also good to see that whilst Ducati still are the dominant manufacturer at the moment, it's great that Aprilia have carried on from where they left off last year, and KTM have (hopefully) got all the bits they need to be competitive again. After listening to Simon Crafar I think they're a bit like the Morecambe and Wise sketch, "all the right notes, not necessarily in the right order".
The Japanese manufacturers still have a lot of work to do to make them competitive and I can imagine Honda and Yamaha will do their damndest to keep Marquez and Quatararo, but unless they pick their game up I can see them looking elsewhere.
And the quality of the riders is probably as good as I've seen across the board. There's a couple who I think will be gone next year, but the pressure is on to perform as the talent stream coming up from Moto 2 and Moto 3 will keep everyone on their toes.
I won't go through all the controversial moments yet as some may not have seen the highlights, but there's a few penalties to be given out for the next race.
Me? I'm rooting for Jack Miller and Miguel Olivera.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
5 of the top 10 were riding Ducati. No sign of a Japanese bike till 10th. Not sure Miller(KTM) will figure that highly as the season progresses. Aprilla might be the dark horse this season.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
Given how many Ducati teams there are, their dominance is not surprising.
I think if KTM can finally make the bike work, then Binder will be the main threat.
However, three title contenders out for the next race will have an impact.

Last edited:

Robster59

Tour Rookie
Obviously not a lot of MotoGP fans on here, but at least the grid will be full this time around. Sadly still missing Marquez and Bastianini due to injury, but they will at least have stand-in's for them. An unusually high attrition rate this early into the season.

woofers

Medal Winner
Visit site
Yep, MotoGP fan here, watch all 3 classes, each has a different dynamic from the flat out, potential “skittles” of Moto3, right through to the sheer power of the big bikes. The sprint race has bought a new dimension to the risk / reward scenario.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
Yep, MotoGP fan here, watch all 3 classes, each has a different dynamic from the flat out, potential “skittles” of Moto3, right through to the sheer power of the big bikes. The sprint race has bought a new dimension to the risk / reward scenario.
Agreed. The Sprint race really puts an edge as the riders know they only have a limited time to make their moves, and less positions score the points. And the bravery/foolhardyness/craziness of the Moto3 riders make it compelling watching. I was sorry that John McPhee was forced to leave at the end of last year, but Scott Ogden looks like he has potential.

woofers

Medal Winner
Visit site
Jake Dixon and Sam Lowes keep the Brit interest alive in Moto2. Could be a good year for both of them, Jake making improvements every time he rides, certainly has the potential for podiums at each race.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
Jake Dixon and Sam Lowes keep the Brit interest alive in Moto2. Could be a good year for both of them, Jake making improvements every time he rides, certainly has the potential for podiums at each race.
Jake had a chance to win his first Moto 2 race a few years ago but came off while in the lead. I remember the video of him in tears in the pits saying "I'm so sorry" to the team. Hopefully he'll get that elusive first top of the podium but there's a lot of tough competition out there. I can see Acosta going to Moto GP next year, possibly replacing
Fabio Di Giannantonio as he just doesn't seem to be cutting it at this level. I'd have also said the same for Franco Morbidelli till the last race. Maybe he can turn it around this year.

shane3003

Visit site
It’s strange that I’m a keen motorcyclist but never really got into MotoGP and rarely watch it. However, I generally watch most F1 rounds which I know at times is quite boring.
I think it’s when I watch motorcycle racing, I just want to get out on my bike rather than watch.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
Well, we're coming up to the end of a great season. Moto 2 World Champion decided last week, Moto 3 this week after an incredible race. The MotoGP title itself will go all the way to the wire in Valencia.
Some of the racing has been incredible, with the Australian race being one of the best I've seen. 5 riders battling for the victory on the last lap.
So much better than the procession that is Formula 1. And great to see some new race winners across all categories.
If you haven't seen any of them yet, give them a try.