Motocaddy S1 trolley, BLEW UP !!!!!

Hendo007

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Picture the scene...

36 hole medal yesterday, on the 4th hole of the first round and get to the green when suddenly there is a bang from the trolley and then white smoke starts pouring out from under the battery tray, I disconnected the battery very quickly but there was some amount of smoke and the smell of burning electrics !!!

I pushed it round for the rest of the first round and was knackered by the end of it. I put the straps on and carried for the second round and somehow managed to post a slightly better score on round 2 ?!?!

Needless to say this morning I feel it !!!

Has anyone ever had a trolley blow up on them before ?

I've only had it about 2 years, is it worth getting in touch with Motocaddy ?

Last edited:

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
I would deffo try and find out when you bought it, warranty on motocaddy is 2 years. I would 100% be going back to them.

Lanark_Golfer

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I'd be onto Motocaddy as well Hendo, especially if the actual trolley is knackered and not just the battery.
Was it at Mount Ellen mate? Wouldn't have fancied pushing it up some of those hills :eek:oo:

Hendo007

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I'd be onto Motocaddy as well Hendo, especially if the actual trolley is knackered and not just the battery.
Was it at Mount Ellen mate? Wouldn't have fancied pushing it up some of those hills :eek:oo:

Aye it was Paul, It was some slog getting it up 9, 12, 16 and 18... Dunno how I managed to play the second round. It took its tole in the end though.. I carded an 80 for round 1, but a t 78 in round 2. I was 5 over with 4 to play on the second round and went bogey, bogey, bogey and then a triple bogey on the the last... I was a bit peed off to say the least.

I'll speak to my pro and see what he suggests and I will drop motocaddy and e-mail too.

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
If you pull out the wheels to free wheel then the trolley isn't really that bad to push .... if you leave the wheels in their normal position then your pushing against the gearing so it's definitely a lot harder to move.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Your initial legal contact is with your pro as your contract of sale is with him, if that proves negative due to being out of warranty then go to the manufacturer because even if its out of warranty I think you could find they wouldn't want it known that this can happen so soon after a warranty expires, or it may be something that has happened before and could be a known issue!

Will be interested to know the outcome.

Hendo007

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Just done some research on Hdid, I won Colville parks Open (class 3) on 28th August 2011. I got Pro shop vouchers for this that I used to buy the trolley with money I already had on my pro shop account. An I bought it a week or so later. So I would say that its actually 3 years old pretty much to the day.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just done some research on Hdid, I won Colville parks Open (class 3) on 28th August 2011. I got Pro shop vouchers for this that I used to buy the trolley with money I already had on my pro shop account. An I bought it a week or so later. So I would say that its actually 3 years old pretty much to the day.

Still worth asking the question IMHO. Nothing ventured rodders!

Fish

Banned
Visit site

I would still approach your Pro in the first instance and ask him to contact the supplier/manufacturer on your behalf outlining the issue that occurred, if that is unsuccessful then approach the supplier/manufacturer directly again just outlining your disappointed with such a top brand failing in such a way!

I have found its all about how you go about your initial approaches will yield the best results, so be nice :smirk:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I would talk to your pro first and then contact the company. Maybe a light hearted approach on twitter too! He who dares and all that but after three years it's out of warranty but interesting to see what they say

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Sound like the control box has blown. i know a guy who repairs them he use to own Viking sports in Hamilton. I have his number if you need it.:cheers:

Hendo007

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I spoke to my pro and he gave me details of a firm locally that fixes them. I've not contacted them yet but I have sent a problem request to motocaddy so will wait to see what they say first before I try get it fixed.

It wasn't raining by the way Tommo, It was a cracking day on Sunday.

Will let ye all know how it progresses. .

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
You might want to check out the consumer law (Government website, CAB etc) as there's been changes. A product like your trolley would be expected to have a life well beyond 3 years, even lithium batteries now have a 3 year limited warranty. I think up to a year it replaced or repair free of charge (because fault obviously existed from new) up to 2 years repair/partial refund because of the use you've had ay 3years repair/refund contribution.

Remember, as has been said, your contract is with the Pro as he is the seller and thus responsible what Motocaddy says cannot take away your Consumer Rights. Most high street shops and on-line companies etc will try and fob you off because hardly anyone is aware of their full rights which are now pretty extensive.

Hendo007

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Ok so here is the update.

I called my pro who advised me to take it to a recommended repairer. He provided me with the contact details of said people.

I had no response from Motocaddy despite their claim of aiming to get in touch with me within 8 hours of my complaint being lodged. I e-mailed them today and they finally replied asking for a mobile number that they may contact me on.

I have just come off a call with one of their "technicians" who speculated a lot about what may have caused this to happen. He then advised me of a local repair person whom I could take it to. (it was the same person that my pro had advised of.)

He did give me the option of getting it sent to them to have it repaired but he advised that this could possibly take longer and cost more.

Irrespective of where I send it they are not interested in investigating they just advised that it would be out of warranty and I will have to pay for it to be repaired. He speculated that this may cost around the £100 mark !!!

I told him I was a bit disappointed that their product has had this malfunction when it is only 3 years old but he advised that "these things can happen" and to find out how much the rapair will cost to see if it was worth while or put the money towards a new one.

So basically am screwed, shell out to get it repaired or shell out for a new one.

But whatever it won't be a motocaddy as "things sometimes go wrong" "it can happen" "tough Sh1t"