More slow play comments from Koepka

User 105

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Interesting comments from Brooks

"It is frustrating. There's a lot of slow players, a lot of them are kind of the very good players, too, which is kind of the problem," Koepka said. "I think it's weird how we have rules where we have to make sure it's dropping from knee height or the caddie can't be behind you and then they also have a rule where you have to hit it in 40 seconds, but that one's not enforced. You enforce some but you don't enforce the others.
"[Slow players are] breaking the rules but no one ever has the balls to actually penalize them," he added.

Also interesting comments on how he's dealing with slow play.

Full article here https://www.golfchannel.com/news/brooks-koepka-no-one-has-balls-penalize-slow-play

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Isn't he wrong though? I thought it wasn't an actual rule but an advisory thing.

I like Koepka. Great golfer and seems like a good guy. One of my favourites of the yanks.

D

Deleted member 25172

Brilliant from Brooks. I like his approach of getting them on the clock on purpose in order to get things going.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Darren Clarke said he would do the same thing when he was playing with perennial slow players.

Completely agree and credit to Brooks.
He will notice that he is now getting coverage because he is saying interesting things.

I remember when he was moaning about not getting coverage or no one asking him questions. American journalist Kevin Van Valkenburg said that if he is at a tournament he will always go to Rory's press conference because Rory might say something interesting.

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
Isn't he wrong though? I thought it wasn't an actual rule but an advisory thing.

I like Koepka. Great golfer and seems like a good guy. One of my favourites of the yanks.

It's not enforced as a rule more like guidance on penalties that can be enforced. but is down to discretion so it gets overlooked, this is why Koepka has such a problem with it and is forcing his group to be put on the clock if an individual is painfully slow as at least it forces slow players to realise they're being monitored. More warnings should be dished out in my opinion.

I like Bryson but the guy has got to stop taking 70+ seconds to hit a shot, it's not fair on the group.

This is the 'advice' / 'guidelines' on PGA events, i believe it's still current.

A rules official or Tour official will notify all players in the group that the group is being put "on the clock." Once a group is on the clock, PGA Tour officials begin timing each player. Once that timing of a group begins, each player has 40 seconds to play each stroke, except in the following cases when he has 60 seconds:

A player who can't meet those requirements is informed that he has a "bad time." A bad time can, in theory, lead to penalty strokes or even disqualification from a PGA Tour event. The slow play penalty process goes like this:

• The player receives a warning for his first "bad time" of the round.
  • If he records a second bad time in the same round, he gets a 1-stroke penalty and $5,000 fine.
  • If he records a third bad time in the same round, he gets a 2-stroke penalty and a $10,000 fine.
  • If he records a fourth bad time in the same round, he is disqualified.

Last edited:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
It's not enforced as a rule more like guidance on penalties that can be enforced. but is down to discretion so it gets overlooked, this is why Koepka has such a problem with it and is forcing his group to be put on the clock if an individual is painfully slow as at least it forces slow players to realise they're being monitored. More warnings should be dished out in my opinion.

I like Bryson but the guy has got to stop taking 70+ seconds to hit a shot, it's not fair on the group.

This is the 'advice' / 'guidelines' on PGA events, i believe it's still current.

A rules official or Tour official will notify all players in the group that the group is being put "on the clock." Once a group is on the clock, PGA Tour officials begin timing each player. Once that timing of a group begins, each player has 40 seconds to play each stroke, except in the following cases when he has 60 seconds:

A player who can't meet those requirements is informed that he has a "bad time." A bad time can, in theory, lead to penalty strokes or even disqualification from a PGA Tour event. The slow play penalty process goes like this:

• The player receives a warning for his first "bad time" of the round.
  • If he records a second bad time in the same round, he gets a 1-stroke penalty and $5,000 fine.
  • If he records a third bad time in the same round, he gets a 2-stroke penalty and a $10,000 fine.
  • If he records a fourth bad time in the same round, he is disqualified.
All well and good but when was the last time anyone got a shot penalty, let alone a s two shot one and a DQ. Neither the PGA and ET have the balls to come down hard on players especially a top player. We've seen before lesser players getting a slow play warning (didn't it happen to an amateur in last years Masters???) but to my mind there is a two tier penalty system on both tours

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
All well and good but when was the last time anyone got a shot penalty, let alone a s two shot one and a DQ. Neither the PGA and ET have the balls to come down hard on players especially a top player. We've seen before lesser players getting a slow play warning (didn't it happen to an amateur in last years Masters???) but to my mind there is a two tier penalty system on both tours

I agree as does Koepka! I want to see how Bryson and such deal with the correct amount of allotted time.

I remember it happening to the 14 year old at the Masters in 2013, not sure of any recent occurrences myself. Maybe the PGA just wish to punish children.

They need to address it.

D

Deleted member 15344

The tour aren’t really going to tackle it , the guidelines are there if they wish to use them but they won’t because it’s the job for these guys and the idea is to get round in the lowest number for them to earn a living , they don’t earn extra money by going round in a good pace - just look at Spieth in the Open , how long did he take to play that shot from the practise ground - shame really but it shouldn’t be an excuse for the slow play in our amateur game

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
People forget aswell pros have to wait on spectators moving, camera guys on fairway getting into place so all takes it's toll with regards to pace. There are slow guys but professional golf is an inherently slow business and I'm not sure what they could do to improve it all that much. The more people who attend events, the busier it is, and the slower it gets

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Definitely feel there is far too much leeway and the rules are not enforced often or consistently.

Would rather see them randomly timing 1 shot for each player on a hole and dishing out bad times to individual players. With the current rules, players know if they are being timed and will have 2 routines.

Visit site
I find it odd that they (authorities) want the game to speed up yet on the tours they turn a blind eye to slow play. It starts at the top, these guys get everything done for them, thousands of ball spotters, bunkers raked, divots replaced, they hit the ball better and further, they putt better, they score better but can't get round in 4hrs!!!!

But golf is about getting round in the least shots as possible, no prizes for getting round in 3hrs25.

D

Deleted member 25172

Where does the money come from, event sponsors won't pay more just because players get round quicker

I'd imagine that Bob's post was said in a fairly light-hearted way. I'm actually quite sure that is the case.