Monthly Stabelfords

Richard Severn

Visit site
Hi new member lol

Is there a mandatory amount of monthly stabelfords that a UK golf club has to run ?

I have just joined a club whereby Ive never seen so many members with inaccurate handicaps.

The club only runs 1 monthly weekend competition and that is a Medal.

Their monthly Stabelfords are run Midweek x1 per month.. Morning tees only !! This as you can imagine attracts about 6-8 players mainly seniors only.

All the other comps played at the weekends are Knockouts, Greensomes League etc. as well as the usual jolly (fun type non qualifying ) comps. The clubs defense is that they run approx 6 other club comps through the summer that do carry a stabelford format.

Does anyone know if this this ok ?

Cheers

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
In short no, there is nothing in either the Rules of Golf or the WHS that stipulates how many competitions of any sort that a club should organise in any given time period.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Hi, welcome to the mad house!

It's most unusual to run so few comps imo, but no, there is no requirement for a club to run a required number of Stableford or medal competitions, at least as far as I've understood

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
I think the only "guidance" (and I'm not even sure that it is written down anywhere) is that clubs need to hold enough competitions that players have the opportunity to maintain their handicap. This dates back to the time when a player needed to play 3 comps a year to maintain their handicap. In that respect I'd say that holding a monthly comp at the weekend and one during the week is meeting that guidance.

However, given these days that a players Index cannot lapse due to inactivity, and the fact that we all now have these wonderful apps that allow us to pre-register a round for handicap whenever we play, I'd be surprised now if there was any onus on a club to even meet the italicised requirement above.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hi new member lol

Is there a mandatory amount of monthly stabelfords that a UK golf club has to run ?

I have just joined a club whereby Ive never seen so many members with inaccurate handicaps.

Their monthly Stabelfords are run Midweek x1 per month.. Morning tees only !! This as you can imagine attracts about 6-8 players mainly seniors only.

All the other comps played at the weekends are Knockouts, Greensomes League etc. as well as the usual jolly (fun type non qualifying ) comps. The clubs defense is that they run approx 6 other club comps through the summer that do carry a stabelford format.

Cheers
What is your evidence for this? I think it is a bit dangerous to start throwing these accusations around at a club you have just joined

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
When I first joined where I play, albeit many years ago, one Saturday a month and one Thursday a month is all we got. member pressure is largely why we now have several a week, optional for most comps so that those not wanting play one get the same access to the tee times.

I do not understand why they restrict to mornings only for midweek.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
I used to play at a club that only had 2 a month at weekends and 2 more midweek. Now I play at a place that seems to make it a comp every time you play...

So, it seems "no actual min number" and all clubs do it differently.

2 a month, one Sat & 1 Sun along with 2 per month with seniors section. No requirement for clubs to have a set amount, we try to have more varied and fun comps with the majority being drawn comps adding to the fun.

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
What is your evidence for this? I think it is a bit dangerous to start throwing these accusations around at a club you have just joined

If their qualifying comps are only one a month and they aren’t putting any cards in and just playing “fun” games then handicap won’t reflect playing ability. Which isn’t good when players who play this clear minimum at opens will have higher chances of winning.

Two a week should be the minimum.
We have three and once a month a “fun game” but I dodge that and put a card in on the alternate course. I’m surprised we run fun games as they aren’t subscribed well. Mainly seniors unless big prize available.

Richard Severn

Visit site
Im not going to go into the politics of it all Colin but when someone who has a handicap index of 28.5 gets placed into a county inter club match with a max handicap index of 18 somethings wrong.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Im not going to go into the politics of it all Colin but when someone who has a handicap index of 28.5 gets placed into a county inter club match with a max handicap index of 18 somethings wrong.
Why do you suggest his handicap is 'wrong'. Presumably the club selector would be aware that the county and opposing club would be away of the situation. Perhaps your club had no other available players for that event.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If their qualifying comps are only one a month and they aren’t putting any cards in and just playing “fun” games then handicap won’t reflect playing ability. Which isn’t good when players who play this clear minimum at opens will have higher chances of winning.

Two a week should be the minimum.
We have three and once a month a “fun game” but I dodge that and put a card in on the alternate course. I’m surprised we run fun games as they aren’t subscribed well. Mainly seniors unless big prize available.
Agree that more cards equals more accurate handicap but where is the evidence that many players in the OPs club have the wrong handicap? Even the quote about a 28 playing in a 18 limit team event could be misleading. Is he making up the numbers because no one else is available? Did he get hammered in his match?

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Hi new member lol

Cheers
As several people have commented on what was best practice before WHS where qualifying competitions were the main way handicaps were maintained / altered.

In the WHS world where qualifiers are not applicable any singles based round can be acceptable for handicap providing it is either in a competition or a pre-registered General Play round. Thus there is no reason to have a minimum number of competitions.

I will say that having experienced the number of acceptable rounds increase dramatically under WHS there are few instances of people playing off "inaccurate" handicaps.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
As several people have commented on what was best practice before WHS where qualifying competitions were the main way handicaps were maintained / altered.

In the WHS world where qualifiers are not applicable any singles based round can be acceptable for handicap providing it is either in a competition or a pre-registered General Play round. Thus there is no reason to have a minimum number of competitions.

I will say that having experienced the number of acceptable rounds increase dramatically under WHS there are few instances of people playing off "inaccurate" handicaps.

There is in fact no change in the system from what it was before other than a change of name from supplementary to general play score. Acceptable scores come from competitions and general play just as before. But it's really good to hear of increases in the number of general play scores being returned - for the very reasons you mention.

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
There is in fact no change in the system from what it was before other than a change of name from supplementary to general play score. Acceptable scores come from competitions and general play just as before. But it's really good to hear of increases in the number of general play scores being returned - for the very reasons you mention.
Other than Cat 1 players I would agree there has not been any technical changes - but there has been a hugh mental change with people being encouraged to put in more cards than previously. If we had 10 supplementaries per month pre-WHS we are now having 200+ General Play rounds post-WHS.

DickInShorts

Visit site
I’m sure the Apps being used and the removal of fear of a 0.1 increase if you don’t make SSS buffer has increased Supplementary (General Play) rounds under WHS.

It certainly has for me - I’m putting in GP scores whenever I play out with a competition

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
Other than Cat 1 players I would agree there has not been any technical changes - but there has been a hugh mental change with people being encouraged to put in more cards than previously. If we had 10 supplementaries per month pre-WHS we are now having 200+ General Play rounds post-WHS.
For the purpose of the handicap system, that it a very good thing!