Mobile Phone - GPS

ForeRighty

Head Pro
Visit site
I used to use Golf Shot GPS app whilst playing friendly games with mates but always understood I couldn't use this whilst in competition play and as a result purchased a Laser. I was playing with a friend yesterday and he told me the ruling on mobile phone use has changed and apps like Golf Shot can now be used in Competition play is this correct?.

I have googled and search the R&A website and I think my friend was correct although I disagreed yesterday.

I am looking for confirmation as would put this in use.

Thanks in advance.
Ryan

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
You can use it provided the committee have made a local rule saying they are allowed. If the committee haven't made that rule then they are still taboo. And you need to make sure that you don't use any other function on the phone that might help you make a stroke. The other functions are still not allowed.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
You can now use a device for measuring even if it has other features on it which, if used, could assist in your play. It is a breach of the local rule related to R14-3 only if you use such a feature.

Last edited:

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I didn't think you could use any devise that had compass/gyro etc etc on it. I know you need a local rule enabled by the commitee for any GPS device.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I didn't think you could use any devise that had compass/gyro etc etc on it. I know you need a local rule enabled by the commitee for any GPS device.
A compass is no longer a prohibited feature. The only significant feature which is not permitted to be used is slope/gradient. But it may be present on the device.

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
It does not just affect clubs. If DMDs were permitted rather than each committee having an option to have a local rule in place, that would apply to the entire game from an ordinary club medal to the Majors.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'd agree but still think it would be simpler if they actually made it a rule rather than leaving it up to clubs to implement a local rule - incidentally are there any clubs who don't allow distance measuring devices in comps?
I don't know about clubs but I don't believe any significant pro events have the local rule in force.