Mobile Broadband - advice pls ?

Macster

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hi all,
My daughter's Uni is messing about with her Internet connection, so I suddenly thought why dont we use a Mobile Broadband Dongle instead anyway.....that way she can use it anywhere and not just in her room.

Anyone else use one of these things, and is it reliable and consistent for general web browsing, Facebook,Myspace etc ?
Orange have advised Central Sheffield is in their 3G+ area so should be fast, but just wondered if anyone had any advice pls ?

Ta

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
I work away alot so I use one of these on a weekly basis. They are good if general internet plodding is all your going to do, videos are very slow to load even in good reception area's (personally speaking).

It worth having one even if you've got a good home connection, its very useful when out and about. I'd say get one anyways, they don't break the bank at the end of the day.

Fore

Head Pro
Visit site
I managed to connect my laptop to my mobile phone via bluetooth and use the modem in my phone. Not sure why but i never seem to get charged for it and i downloaded loads recently when my broadband was offline. I originally set this up years ago and it comes in very handy at times. It runs at about the same speed as dial up.
I recently bought a vista laptop and told it to connect to my phone and the set up wizard did the rest.

SamH

Club Champion
Visit site
I mean, good idea but very slow while watching videos and other media. I also believe that there is a maximum usage according to the GB of the package so for uni may not be that good.

T

thecraw

I have mobile broadband through 3 and to be honest its never let me down. OK it can be slow at times however its more than ideal for what I need and do.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
I work in a big place where some folk use mobile internet dongles to access the www. Mostly, it's unreliable and extremely slow. As a professor at a uni (yes, it's true) I can only say that the early days is always bad, but most uni's do get their act together eventually. The broadband at mine is not a whopper connection but even with hundreds online, it's still faster than mobile.

My worry would be getting tied into a 12 month contract only to discover that by October, the trouble has passed.

Is she in halls? if so, maybe she could find out how last year's guys got on.....