Mizuno "quick Iron Selector"

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
Possibly looking at replacing my 4 year old mizuno 850 forged, Ive got on with them well coming down steadily over the last 3 years from ~18 to 11.7 (lowest) currently 12.2

Ive always loved Mizuno Irons and intend to stick with them so used the "quick iron selector" via their website and the result was the MP18 MMC... (right handed\12hc\need more help\looking to improve over the next 3 years)

Just wondered if anyone around the same level and aspirations had them, and what their thought were?

Any input appreciated

huds1475

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have the 850 forged, and have hit the MP18 MMC alongside them, same shafts etc...

Found them to be very similar distance & dispersion, I think the lofts are about the same? Felt a little softer. To be honest I was surprised at the forgiveness that allowed me to hit the MP18, lovely to look at too.

Think the only thing that stopped me pulling the trigger was that I want to improve my strike consistency & swing speed before buying new irons.

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
Thanks Huds, I know there’s nothing like going out there and hitting them for yourself. I’m in 2 minds as to change or not, still love the 850’s but can’t stop myself from thinking a refit will help....

elmoag

Club Champion
Visit site
I reckon I’m on my 10th set of Mizuno and each new set seems to be better than the last. Although my lowest ever scores were with the tp9s 25 years ago Mp18 are fantastic and bought on looks alone. But are really performing for me good distance control.

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
I reckon I’m on my 10th set of Mizuno and each new set seems to be better than the last. Although my lowest ever scores were with the tp9s 25 years ago Mp18 are fantastic and bought on looks alone. But are really performing for me good distance control.

I have a set myself, I don’t appear to shoot any different with them but could never game them all the time. Mis-hits are a horror show

Attachments

• 89668871-D032-4439-83CB-90EF7AD19D17.jpeg
    89668871-D032-4439-83CB-90EF7AD19D17.jpeg
    915.5 KB · Views: 12

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
Was in the same boat, but my curent shafts are a good fit and there's nothing wrong with the 850 forged (if I'm honest with myself!!)

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with my 850’s either, I just have doubts over the fitting I had at AG.

I think I need to stump up for a fitting with a reputable pro and if there’s a big difference maybe go for the new shineys...

elmoag

Club Champion
Visit site
I have a set myself, I don’t appear to shoot any different with them but could never game them all the time. Mis-hits are a horror show

Ah nice though I’m not sure the 3 iron would be my go to club nowadays like it used to be. I have a set of top flite blades similar era and they are due a run out soon so are the maxfli dp30 Australian blades. It was a golden era

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
One of my pp went from the 850s to the 900 hot metal and hasn't looked back he's a big mizuno fan but he did change the mizuno putter and woods for odessey and ping, he's off 16 dropped .3 since the change

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I'm gonna get some new irons this year and the JPX919 are on my radar. Either forged or hot metal. Haven't hit either yet, but like the look of them.
While I'm at it I'll also try Callaway Apex 16 and Titleist AP3

huds1475

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don’t think there’s anything wrong with my 850’s either, I just have doubts over the fitting I had at AG.

I think I need to stump up for a fitting with a reputable pro and if there’s a big difference maybe go for the new shineys...

Sounds like a solid plan. Life's too short for doubts.

Let us know how you get on 👍

Dannyc

Visit site
Nick at Tour X is top draw! You will have a blast in an alladins cave!
Jealous. Com
Report back please!
So I’ve heard mate found out about him after asking on here
I swopped my old Mizuno’s after having a bad fitting at AG so went Titleist ended up with ap2s lovely irons don’t get me wrong but I’ve wanted go to back to mizuno ever since

sunshine

Visit site
One of my pp went from the 850s to the 900 hot metal and hasn't looked back he's a big mizuno fan but he did change the mizuno putter and woods for odessey and ping, he's off 16 dropped .3 since the change

So your friend had one round where he scored one shot better than his handicap. That's hardly a ringing endorsement is it?

Don't get me wrong, I have Mizuno irons too and they are lovely, but they are not magic wands!

sunshine

Visit site
Thanks Huds, I know there’s nothing like going out there and hitting them for yourself. I’m in 2 minds as to change or not, still love the 850’s but can’t stop myself from thinking a refit will help....

Looks like you are looking for some reassurance before splashing a large amount of cash on shiny new things. This is the right place to come. If you have the spare cash and fancy treating yourself, then why not!

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
So your friend had one round where he scored one shot better than his handicap. That's hardly a ringing endorsement is it?

Don't get me wrong, I have Mizuno irons too and they are lovely, but they are not magic wands!
I didn't say one round I said since the change

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
Looks like you are looking for some reassurance before splashing a large amount of cash on shiny new things. This is the right place to come. If you have the spare cash and fancy treating yourself, then why not!

Thank you, that’s all I needed - I’m off to spend some £££

No, in all seriousness when I was fitted for the 850’s I made some mistakes. One of the first things the American golf fitter asked was do I have a preference? I walked out having ordered what I wanted. I did test some pings and something else that I can’t remember now but in my nievety I just believed the figures (that I now believe he was adjusting to get the sale)

My iron play is the weakest part of my game and I can’t help but think I’ve been incorrectly fitted.

Dannyc

Visit site
Thank you, that’s all I needed - I’m off to spend some £££

No, in all seriousness when I was fitted for the 850’s I made some mistakes. One of the first things the American golf fitter asked was do I have a preference? I walked out having ordered what I wanted. I did test some pings and something else that I can’t remember now but in my nievety I just believed the figures (that I now believe he was adjusting to get the sale)

My iron play is the weakest part of my game and I can’t help but think I’ve been incorrectly fitted.
I’m not saying this has happened to u but 3 years ago I got fitted by American golf and after 6 months of hooking pulling everything I got them checked by the pro and the mark on the tape on the club was right on the heel got fitted again by Titleist and was 3 degrees different
Going cost me more money cause now I want go back to mizuno 🙈

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
I’m not saying this has happened to u but 3 years ago I got fitted by American golf and after 6 months of hooking pulling everything I got them checked by the pro and the mark on the tape on the club was right on the heel got fitted again by Titleist and was 3 degrees different
Going cost me more money cause now I want go back to mizuno 🙈

Yeah, the general consensus is the AG is very hit and miss.... mostly miss. I’ve spotted a few threads on here talking highly of precision golf who’ll actually refit you for existing club heads. Will make some enquiries I think