Mixed Foursomes

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
A bit of guidance please as I've never played mixed foursomes.

Do the men & the ladies all drive from one set of tees - or do the ladies drive their tee shots from one set of tees (reds) and the men from another? If the latter, how you you work out the SI and where strokes/given & recieved?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Men will tee off from their tees (usually the whites), the ladies from theirs (the reds). As its foursomes, in your pair you will tee off on alternate holes. Pretty sure all shots are given/taken off the ladies SI, at least they are at ours. Up to each pair who tees off the first (though ideally its best if the 2 ladies tee off on the sames holes and the 2 men do likewise)

DCB

Visit site
At my club , ladies tee off on odd numbered holes and gents on even numbered holes. Gents SI is used for strokes.

Heidi

Tour Rookie
Visit site
At my club , ladies tee off on odd numbered holes and gents on even numbered holes. Gents SI is used for strokes.
Played loads of these and the SI is always the men's, as is the par. Men tend to tee off on odd numbers (only west linton makes the ladies start - think its due to the huge ravine on 14th, makes it more interesting for the guys!)

prefer a greensome tbh! ;)

Twire

Global Moderator
Visit site
We have a lot of Mixed Foursomes at our place. We decide between ourselves odds or evens, men play off whites ladies off reds and the scoring is off the mens card. Oh, and handicap is half combined.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
We have a lot of Mixed Foursomes at our place. We decide between ourselves odds or evens, men play off whites ladies off reds and the scoring is off the mens card. Oh, and handicap is half combined.

That's the norm I think unless the tee order is determined by the competition organisers. We played a 36 hole version on Sunday and the men teed off on odds in the morning and evens in the afternoon round. If it's a choice then well worth a discussion with your partner as to what holes might favour each player and go from there. Oh - we have a difference of 4 strokes between Men's and Ladies SSS so the difference is added to the Ladies handicap before taking half the combined.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hmm...

Only three answers so far and already am getting a sense of "it depends". Only thing for it is to check the competition rules at our place.

the COC will give you the correct tees for the particular competition; these may vary for the men but will not for the ladies, who play from their measured course ie red tees in all normal competitions.

the mens card is used in all forms of mixed event eg greensomes, foursomes and better ball.

the order of play is decided by the pair; it's quite common for this to be 'blindingly obvious' choice on many courses which leads to a normality of order. Such choice is part of the competition and is not a matter for the COC - it may not even be valid under the rules (but of course that doesn't stop some committees!)

basically I agree with Twire's post!

DCB

Visit site
we have a difference of 4 strokes between Men's and Ladies SSS so the difference is added to the Ladies handicap before taking half the combined.

Not seen that one when playing Foursomes before :)

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
the mens card is used in all forms of mixed event eg greensomes, foursomes and better ball.

this is a reflection of general matchplay but the competition committee should certainly dictate what is to take place.

where the event is a stableford one it is recommended (by CONGU) that the ladies par and SI are used, especially if it is a team event (eg Am-Am)

as raised by Amanda, handicaps should be adjusted for differences in SSS prior to allowances being applied (this doesn't always result in the ladies handicaps getting the increase - but normally does!)

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
the COC will give you the correct tees for the particular competition; these may vary for the men but will not for the ladies, who play from their measured course ie red tees in all normal competitions.

the order of play is decided by the pair; it's quite common for this to be 'blindingly obvious' choice on many courses which leads to a normality of order. Such choice is part of the competition and is not a matter for the COC - it may not even be valid under the rules (but of course that doesn't stop some committees!)

basically I agree with Twire's post!

Got caught out on the R&A Rules Quiz by a question on whether the Committee can stipulate which partner plays from the first tee in a foursomes comp. I thought not, but apparently they can!

33-1/3.5 Restriction on Which Partner in Foursome Competition May Play from 1st Tee

"Q. Rule 29-1 states that in a foursome “the partners must play alternately from the teeing grounds and alternately during the play of each hole.” However, it is a matter of personal choice which partner drives at the 1st tee. May a Committee, in the conditions of a foursome competition, stipulate which partner must play from the 1st tee?

A. Yes."

Seemed odd to me but I think the wording of the question in the decision is a bit misleading as the bit about it being a matter of personal choice isn't actually in the Rules so the Committee isn't waiving a Rule in imposing such a condition. Would have been good to have had a bit more explanation in the decision but there you go. Could be that it is specifically for mixed comps; can't think when else it might be warranted.

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yeah, at my place ladies tee off at the even holes and men at the odds; probably because the white tee at the 14th means hitting over the 12th fairway so we avoid the inevitable delays. Don't remember ever getting my handicap adjusted though.

Good rule to remember is that if the guy loses one off the tee the girl should play from the whites when reloading.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Got caught out on the R&A Rules Quiz by a question on whether the Committee can stipulate which partner plays from the first tee in a foursomes comp. I thought not, but apparently they can!

33-1/3.5 Restriction on Which Partner in Foursome Competition May Play from 1st Tee

"Q. Rule 29-1 states that in a foursome “the partners must play alternately from the teeing grounds and alternately during the play of each hole.” However, it is a matter of personal choice which partner drives at the 1st tee. May a Committee, in the conditions of a foursome competition, stipulate which partner must play from the 1st tee?

A. Yes."

Seemed odd to me but I think the wording of the question in the decision is a bit misleading as the bit about it being a matter of personal choice isn't actually in the Rules so the Committee isn't waiving a Rule in imposing such a condition. Would have been good to have had a bit more explanation in the decision but there you go. Could be that it is specifically for mixed comps; can't think when else it might be warranted.

well spotted MN, another decision that seems to contradict the wording of a rule on first impressions! Had another beaut recently too but I won't confuse this thread with it.

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
Good one FD. Would not have guessed that.

Does it also work the other way round? If so is that the only circumstances in which a chap can legitimately tee off from the Reds?

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Good one FD. Would not have guessed that.

Does it also work the other way round? If so is that the only circumstances in which a chap can legitimately tee off from the Reds?

Never understood why this seems a surprise. You only need to remember it's not a tee shot, it's stroke & distance and therefore played from where the last shot played.

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yeah, at my place ladies tee off at the even holes and men at the odds; probably because the white tee at the 14th means hitting over the 12th fairway so we avoid the inevitable delays. Don't remember ever getting my handicap adjusted though.

Good rule to remember is that if the guy loses one off the tee the girl should play from the whites when reloading.

Thanks to Mr Mimms sending his tee shot OOB, I have had to hit off the whites a couple of times!