Missing the mallet, Putting drills needed ASAP!

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
After deciding the Rossa Inza mallet was getting me into to much trouble on fast greens i opted to shift it and go back to a sexy nice yes amy blade putter.

The first 2 outing proved great as the greens were still quick so it was easier to be delicate with the lighter blade, but now the greens have got a bit slower and longer im struggling like made with pace assesment.

Any drills i can do to improve consistant pace judgement.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I took the Rossa Daytona out for a spin on Saturday. Big mistake. I'm so comfy with the odyssey No 9 that I couldn't get on with it at all. I think if the greens get too slow over the winter and the soft face of the odyssey isn't rolling it too well I'd go back to the itsy spider

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I love the balance of the No 9 and the softer face which has been great on the quicker greens. I was always a blade man but I had terrible trouble trying to get the blade square on the short ones so if I need a firmer face on slow winter greens I'll start with the spider for extra confidence and do some homework with my Pathfinder putting aid

B

birdieman

Get a putting mirror, it shows swing path, shoulder alignment and position of eyes over ball. When you use one you can't miss, alas you can't use it during a comp!

You need to find your dominant eye too, most of us have one eye much stroner than the other - done thus-
Arm outstretched point at an object more than 20' away with both eyes open. Then in turn close each eye. If you're like me (right eye dominant) when using your right eye only the object won't move but using only your left eye the object appears way off to the side.
You should have your dominant eye vertically over the ball when putting for better alignment. Lorena Ochoa taught me that in one of the golf mags! Good tip I think.

Amazing how easily you can get your eyes in the wrong place above the ball.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Birdie man, from your post id say maybe my eyes are slightly behind the ball. Im gonna skive off after work and try and get an hour in on the putting green. My putting at the weekend was shocking, infact to sum it up i was 24 inches from the cup for a put on the 17th and was worried. I mean come on 2 ft dead straight dead flat put and was not confident... it may have even been 18 inches.

B

birdieman

Im gonna skive off after work and try and get an hour in on the putting green.

You've got it bad!
Good luck with it. It can feel awkward changing your set up but hopefully worth it. If you can get good on the 3 to 4 footers you'll gain confidence so can run the ball at a good pace on the first putt rather than dollying it up 6" short. That should mean you drop more 1st putts. ;)

AMcC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Another tip I read and use is to put a one penny 3 feet on a straight line from your ball and once you are aligned strke the ball over the penny. You can hear the ball hitting the penny and still keep your head down.