Missing short putts

CountLippe

Visit site
Specifically putts under 2 feet. I've had a lot of bounce outs recently, this has led to me becoming a nervous wreck over short putts. I don't feel I can make a confident stroke and try dying the ball in the hole. This came to a head on saturday when on 2 occasions I totally missed the hole from about 18". Does anyone have any tips / drills for the very short stroke? My putting is otherwise satisfactory.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I use one of these on the putting green (althought I tend to take the inner ring out as - the outer ring still reduces the hole significantly) - https://www.golfswingsystems.co.uk/product/no-3-putt-cup-reducer/

Really good for getting confidence on 2-5 foot putts and really makes a difference when you take it back out and the hole does look bigger and I do feel more confident over the putt

D

Deleted Member 1156

I always mark and check my ball before 'tapping in' a short putt as the ball will often come to rest in an indentation in the green as the first putt loses pace. Just check that there is nothing that will knock the ball offline before taking your next putt.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Just as an exercise, on an 18" putt, look down on your putter and turn the face to an angle so that the ball will miss the hole on one side and then turn it so the ball will miss the hole on the other side, it's surprising how much leeway you have.

You've still got to make the putt but that thought might give you a bit of assurance that if the face is reasonably on line then it's "just" a matter of making the stroke, and Bob's drill will help with that.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I always mark and check my ball before 'tapping in' a short putt as the ball will often come to rest in an indentation in the green as the first putt loses pace. Just check that there is nothing that will knock the ball offline before taking your next putt.

If after lifting etc you realise the ball was/will be in a small indentation, what is the best action to take for the putt that you wouldn't do if not in indentation?

Ignore, I'm obviously stuck in time and thinking pre 2019 :eek:
:giggle:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
As the OP - I was so afflicted. I have mostly got over it by doing my putting drill for ALL putts. So when I come to sub 2ft one, my drill forces me to not rush it, and I treat it with the same respect as a 20 footer. I can still miss them. But nothing like I used to.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I'm doing more the "pop" method of Brandt Snedeker (plenty of YouTube vids on it) but essentially it's the same as Bob's drill on post #2

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
For me confidence in holing the short ones is important especially under pressure. I'll often set up on a hole on the putting green and set tees in a cross formation at 2,3,4 and 5 feet so there are different (slight) breaks and try and make three from each distance (3 x 2 footer x 4 stations so 12 putts) and starting again if I miss or giving myself maybe one life per distance. Having made the putts in practice if I get an important putt (going well in a comp as an example) I try and picture myself on the putting green making them and stand over the putt confident

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I put an alignment stick or shaft of a long iron just above the head in front of the hole
Then just putt you need to be 12” past the hole to get it over the shaft.
It makes you hit the back of the hole firmly.
Not so much now with the flag still in though ,I feel I need to die them in at the moment.

Diamond

Visit site
I bought the put it device and after some poor putting I make sure I spend 15 minutes or so a day knocking in 6 foot putts. Then get to the club early and a good few minutes on practice green getting my length. For short puts I align hole, ball and line and sweet spot of putter And concentrate on the backswing being smooth and in line with the 3. It seems to work but I just use my eye.

CountLippe

Visit site
Had a practice at these 18" putts with the flag in last night. Definitely a mental thing. I had success hitting towards the toe of the putter, which allowed a firmer stroke.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just as an exercise, on an 18" putt, look down on your putter and turn the face to an angle so that the ball will miss the hole on one side and then turn it so the ball will miss the hole on the other side, it's surprising how much leeway you have.

You've still got to make the putt but that thought might give you a bit of assurance that if the face is reasonably on line then it's "just" a matter of making the stroke, and Bob's drill will help with that.

Used this to devastating effect yesterday. I don’t want to speak too soon but that tip may have revolutionised my short putting!!! Thanks @Crow !!!!!

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have just watched the Dave Peltz vid on YouTube where he talked about the Lumpy Doughnut created by players standing by the hole.
You can see that a putt can move different ways within 1” either side of the hole.
Never gave it a thought until having to die the ball in.
So your short putts need to be firmish to hold their line.

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Can’t help with putting I am afraid, but I was wondering if you are a member of the Red Lightening Tong? ?