mid launch driver not to hurt the pocket - advise welcome

Hendy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
After a new driver something around 9.5 deg stiff flex but not looking to spend 200 plus quid for it so maybe a older model or something i few years old etc

Really dont want a high launch driver or a driver that gets the ball air born.. I say a mid launch as i do want something i cant hit off the tee every time... maybe if i was playing off 5/6 then maybe something like D3 910 etc but i dont think i am at that level just yet..

I have been looking around and everything i see seems to get used to get the ball air born ...

i had a few rounds with the mizuno mx700 9.5deg stiff and its not far off what i'd be looking for but again its flying to high for what i would really want.. price wise the mx700 is really great value as well.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
After a new driver something around 9.5 deg stiff flex but not looking to spend 200 plus quid for it so maybe a older model or something i few years old etc

Really dont want a high launch driver or a driver that gets the ball air born.. I say a mid launch as i do want something i cant hit off the tee every time... maybe if i was playing off 5/6 then maybe something like D3 910 etc but i dont think i am at that level just yet..

I have been looking around and everything i see seems to get used to get the ball air born ...

i had a few rounds with the mizuno mx700 9.5deg stiff and its not far off what i'd be looking for but again its flying to high for what i would really want.. price wise the mx700 is really great value as well.

Look for one of the previous model Mizuno MP630s. Good driver and good shaft and should give a nice mid-launch.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I used a Launch Monitor (Ping at PGA) for the first time in a couple of years, with interesting results.

I've lost 10mph swing speed, probably due to the lack of swinging after breaking ankle in September. Had noticed that I wasn't getting the right feel from either main-bag Driver (Serrano S) or Away one (Code 6 SX).

Loads of Spin and not a lot of Ball-Speed with a Stiff equivalent to the Serrano (164D Tour). Launch angle 22* on good strikes. Tried Regular Tour (low torque) and bingo. Smash-Factor 1.49, Launch 17* and Spin 2750 - all optimum! Diagnosis was - not generating enough lag.

So don't simply consider loft as the solution to high launch.

Of course, I've rather ignored those results an 'ho-ed' a mate's Cleveland SL 290 w Miyazaki 43 (R) (high torque). When I don't lash at it (torque is measure of how easily face opens) it gets Med-Low launch (v unusual for me) and is about 30yds past the Ping w S.

Hendy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
must say out today used it 11 times first 4/5 were flying a little right if i am honest but once on the back nine and really going for it lol... the ball went a mile, easily 30 yards from my burner so looks to be a much better setup for me..

I would say tho its not as easy to hit and deff less forgiving but cant have it all lol i got a nice low flight now so happy enough

Last edited: