Mickey Wright passes away aged 85

Russ_D

Club Champion
Visit site
Read on my golf news feed this morning that Mickey Wright has passed away at 85.
Real shame not only that a great of womens golf has passed away but the lack of coverage on mainstream sports news over here.

Sky sports news had a little bit about her but to me it kind of shows how little attention the womens game gets and imo thats not good enough.

Had a Male major winner passed away (She won 13) its all Sky sports news would be talking about.

Given the choice i would watch womens golf over mens (other than the masters & Open) as i find it more entertaining, more varies shots, clubs used rather than 300yd driver, wedge, putt, rinse and repeat.

RIP Mikey, Fairways and Greens forever.

Russ_D

Club Champion
Visit site
Well, I hope it isn't a gender thing. I would say she wasnt well known in the uk. I didn't know too much about her career and her wins were back in the 1960s. Having looked them up, some record.....
Yep, I agree that she wasn't that well known over here. She had a great swing.

fenwayrich

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Mickey Wright was probably the greatest woman golfer of the 20th Century. Perhaps because of her early retirement in 1969, and withdrawal from public life, she has been an almost mystical figure ever since. A little like Bob Jones.

Ben Hogan was quoted as saying that Wright “had the finest golf swing I ever saw.”

One of the game's true legends.

D

Deleted member 1147

To be fair, even male golf champions get little coverage, in this country, when they die.
If it ain’t football they’re not interested.

Russ_D

Club Champion
Visit site
To be fair, even male golf champions get little coverage, in this country, when they die.
If it ain’t football they’re not interested.

I kind of of agree. Every golfer knows the big names, some non golfers will know the likes of Woods, Nicklaus, Palmer etc. but many dont. Shame really.

I was once at a familiy party talking to someone about the best golfer, I said I liked Jack Nicklaus when an evesdropper turned and said "Jack Nicklaus is brilliant "Heeeeeres Johnny!!"'. So apparently between being one of the best golfers ever he also liked to act a bit too. Every day is a school day :p