Mickelson and Harmon - Phil for world no.1?

B

birdieman

I read Phil Mickelson has binned coach Rick Smith and is now working with Butch Harmon in an effort to get his long game in shape. Anyone can see he overswings with the driver.
As Mickelson has the best short game in the world (that is not debateable) I reckon if he can straighten up those tee shots he could give Tiger a serious run at world no. 1 spot, probably not this year but by 2008 I think we could see Phil tasking a few more majors, hope he does I cant help but like the guy! We need a good competitive Nicklaus/Watson style rivalry.
What do you reckon?

madandra

Money List Winner
Visit site
Nae chance. He doesn't have the nerve under pressure. He may well be the best with the short irons but he is a poor outter and will almost every round fluff 2 or 3 3 footers. I think Tiger has a 2 shot lead standing on the 1st tee every Thursday. He gives them THE FEAR !!!

I don't think Butch Harmon instilled nerve into Tiger, that was down to his daddy. Phil is lacking in the marrow when it comes to scrapping for a title.

B

birdieman

Like Tiger at Augusta? - can't win from behind, never has in a major. Tiggy is in his 30's now with kids due, showed weakness at Augusta, is also easy to beat at matchplay. I dont think he ever put the fear into Mickelson, unlike Els the big woose, Phil has held TW off easy in the 3 majors he won. Phil has the marrow, he's always been ballsier than anyone (some might say reckless) in taking on difficult shots and charging too aggressively for majors. He never backs down! If he gets that driver sorted and loses a couple more pounds he's the best player about. In 06 US Open he could only hit 1 fairway and still managed second, to do that takes some ability!

PaulOHagan

GM Staff
Visit site
I'm not convinced Mickelson will ever challenge Tiger for world number 1. Don't get me wrong he's a good player but is no where near Tigers league and never will be. Although he has improved-he doesn’t have anywhere near the mental strength of Woods, or the natural talent.

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm not convinced Butch will be able to get through to Mickelson enough to make him number 1 but I certainly hope he improves his long game in time. His swing is definitely too loose but I have a feeling Mickelson will only take in what he wants to hear. Then again, if he didn't want to get better then why has he changed his coach? Whatever happens it should be interesting to see.

On the short game thing, doesn't Tiger have every shot in the book? I know who I'd be betting on to get down in two if my mortgage depended on it.

B

birdieman

Playing devils advocate a little here... I know Woods is the all round best player, probably ever, but I like Phil's style (when he's on) more than Tigers. To answer the last post I'm not sure Tiger does have every shot in the book, his driving is a minor weakness, although he's strong enough to get away with hitting 2 iron off the tee even on long holes. When Phil was just about winning his third straight major I felt he was the best player around and that was less than a year ago. Tiger took the spotlight back in style for second half of 06 but I think Phil could come back at him very soon.

B

birdieman

I see Phil was -1, tied 21st place but only tied 45th on driving accuracy round 1 at 64% of fairways hit at the Byron Nelson, not bad! 1st place on sand saves though. Only 4 back of the lead, go Phil.

B

birdieman

The tide has turned, Mickelson pummelled Tiger at Sawgrass to win with great control, more to follow this year for Phil, soon to be world no.1.