Mesh wifi

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
I’m after a bit of guidance on a reasonably cheap mesh set up, it’s just for one room downstairs which has my PS5 and wife’s office in there.
Currently the wifi signal isn’t great in there for gaming so I’ve been using a Powerline device to connect my PS5.
We’re getting the Virgin Media M350 package installed later in the week and I’m wanting to make the most of it, any tips?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If it's just for that why not use power line adaptors? Ethernet cable to a switch box then hard wire the console and the pc?

I used to use tp link deco, was decent enough

I now use Linksys which is pretty decent tbh

Just for your set up might be worth using power lines? Even just put a WiFi beacon on the end of it or they have ones now that do that I believe

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I use TP Link Deco M5 and they're great. I had them for my previous house which had brick inner walls and the OEM router was useless. They give strong solid WiFi throughout the house. They don't get on with Sky Q, but I run those off the first router and the rest off the Deco. You can also do more with the Deco, like set up a separate WiFi fit the kids to control what they watch and when it is on and off. You can also set up an IoT network purely for your smart devices (Nest, Alexa, cameras, etc.).
You can find some good deals on eBay and Amazon. Also worth looking for deals on HoUKDeals.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
I use TP Link Deco M5 and they're great. I had them for my previous house which had brick inner walls and the OEM router was useless. They give strong solid WiFi throughout the house. They don't get on with Sky Q, but I run those off the first router and the rest off the Deco. You can also do more with the Deco, like set up a separate WiFi fit the kids to control what they watch and when it is on and off. You can also set up an IoT network purely for your smart devices (Nest, Alexa, cameras, etc.).
You can find some good deals on eBay and Amazon. Also worth looking for deals on HoUKDeals.
This.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Just make sure that any mesh system you go for doesn't throttle the speed. I've got 150mb, but with the old TP Link I had, it throttled it to 75mb.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
If it's just for that why not use power line adaptors? Ethernet cable to a switch box then hard wire the console and the pc?

Just for your set up might be worth using power lines? Even just put a WiFi beacon on the end of it or they have ones now that do that I believe

I’m not sure what speed the Powerline is rated to, I’ll have to check.

Edit
I’ve looked and it’s rated at 1gb so I’ll just see how it performs once the new internet is installed.

Btw damn you for not allowing we to buy a new toy 🤣

Last edited:

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The Devolo powerline adaptors are very good, if you get the magic option with WiFi you can extend the WiFi network as well as providing an ethernet port

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Is that a Linksys mesh system or powerline ?

Robster59

Tour Rookie
As @Bratty said even the mesh networks can throttle you

My Linksys system allows me to take advantage of my 1gb broadband however my old deco system topped out at 100mb
I think it depends of the speed of the ethernet port on the mesh router. The first unit on the mesh system connects to the OEM WiFi router by an ethernet cable. My Deco M5, for example, has a 1GB port, but there are lesser spec units where the ethernet port is 100MB. I imagine this would strangle the speed into the Mesh system, and so restrict what you get out of the other end. Better informed people will tell you if my assumption is correct. ;)
I think you may get slight reduction in speed from Mesh systems, but it is worth it, for me, for the very stable and consistent connection.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think it depends of the speed of the ethernet port on the mesh router. The first unit on the mesh system connects to the OEM WiFi router by an ethernet cable. My Deco M5, for example, has a 1GB port, but there are lesser spec units where the ethernet port is 100MB. I imagine this would strangle the speed into the Mesh system, and so restrict what you get out of the other end. Better informed people will tell you if my assumption is correct. ;)
I think you may get slight reduction in speed from Mesh systems, but it is worth it, for me, for the very stable and consistent connection.

Oh it's definitely worth it. I do find however the Linksys system, since replacing the deco system , if I go to the loft it works better when I quickly turn my WiFi off and on my phone. It likes to stay connected to another unit rather than the one thats on the first floor.

Since getting it with my 1gb broadband I get

1000mb in the hall (where main "node" is)
750mb in living room (where next node is)
400mb kitchen
500mb ISH first floor
200mb loft

Now I'll take those speeds, considering the solid horrible walls we have. Infact we have stripped the old master bedroom to decorate this week. No wonder I can never get a nail in the wall! Jezz the walls are like cement lol 🤣

Robster59

Tour Rookie
Oh it's definitely worth it. I do find however the Linksys system, since replacing the deco system , if I go to the loft it works better when I quickly turn my WiFi off and on my phone. It likes to stay connected to another unit rather than the one thats on the first floor.

Since getting it with my 1gb broadband I get

1000mb in the hall (where main "node" is)
750mb in living room (where next node is)
400mb kitchen
500mb ISH first floor
200mb loft

Now I'll take those speeds, considering the solid horrible walls we have. Infact we have stripped the old master bedroom to decorate this week. No wonder I can never get a nail in the wall! Jezz the walls are like cement lol 🤣
What Linksys system are you using now? I've had the Deco M5 for a few years now. I don't want to change just for the sake of it but always happy to review the options.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What Linksys system are you using now? I've had the Deco M5 for a few years now. I don't want to change just for the sake of it but always happy to review the options.

I believe it's this one

Tbh because I just pay community fibre £30 a month to include the mesh with the broadband I didn't pay much attention to the system , I just know it works

Robster59

Tour Rookie

I believe it's this one

Tbh because I just pay community fibre £30 a month to include the mesh with the broadband I didn't pay much attention to the system , I just know it works
Thanks. That's it really. A couple of my work colleagues complain as their WiFi keeps dropping out in the middle of a video call. I keep saying to them to invest in a mesh system, especially as they use video calls so much, but they still haven't. I don't have this issue with my mesh system.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks. That's it really. A couple of my work colleagues complain as their WiFi keeps dropping out in the middle of a video call. I keep saying to them to invest in a mesh system, especially as they use video calls so much, but they still haven't. I don't have this issue with my mesh system.

I used to find that with my deco and my laptop. Haven't seen it yet

But then until a year ago my deco was using BT router and boy was it rubbish. Wouldn't go into modem only mode so both wanted to be routers

I managed to get a deco that became the router .. anyways boring story lol but it worked

I went for their mesh just because then if their is an issue they can fix it and can't be like BT used to be "it's your equipment" when it was their line

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Is a domestic mesh WiFi network anything more than such as having one or more boosters linked to the main router and power line supported extensions from the router. I keep hearing and reading about ‘mesh’, and I haven’t a clue whether it’s anything more than what I’ve described.