Merry #%^+&£@ Christmas

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Missus has just had a call.

Out of nowhere she’s being made redundant 16th December!

Apparently they chose this date, so that it wouldn’t ruin Christmas as it would all be clear before it!

Any body recently had the misfortune of this have any tips on what she should be looking for re finances? At a minimum we don’t want her screwed over.

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
Sorry to hear.

First thing to look at her contract whether the company have her on statutory or whether they go above that. The process depends on how long employed, number of people in scope of redundancy, etc. C.A.B have a good few pages on info.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Can’t help with any redundancy advice Dave but sorry to hear that and hope it doesn’t ruin your Christmas mate.

Thanks mate. Fortunately for the kids she’s done their shopping already.
May have to hide the presents I’d bought myself though!

Sorry to hear.

First thing to look at her contract whether the company have her on statutory or whether they go above that. The process depends on how long employed, number of people in scope of redundancy, etc. C.A.B have a good few pages on info.

Scanning contract atm. She’s over 12 years service. So think at a minimum it’s 12 weeks pay off plus holiday accrued, plus they’re meant to give a minimum 12 weeks notice and only getting 2.

Biggest but I’m struggling with is that her department (6 of em) get a bonus in March. If she was given her legal notice 12 weeks, then she’d be having that paid. It’s paid on a points scored basis, which they’ve all hit. So gotta see if she can claim that.

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks mate. Fortunately for the kids she’s done their shopping already.
May have to hide the presents I’d bought myself though!

Scanning contract atm. She’s over 12 years service. So think at a minimum it’s 12 weeks pay off plus holiday accrued, plus they’re meant to give a minimum 12 weeks notice and only getting 2.

Biggest but I’m struggling with is that her department (6 of em) get a bonus in March. If she was given her legal notice 12 weeks, then she’d be having that paid. It’s paid on a points scored basis, which they’ve all hit. So gotta see if she can claim that.

Bonus. It is part of her contract or discretionary?

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Bonus. It is part of her contract or discretionary?
Still looking into it atm. She’s had it paid all 12 years she’s been there.

Atm I think I have her basic minimum settlement figure calculated. But need to work out how it works re unpaid holiday and lack of statutory notice being served.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
They can limit the money side of things, our lot do. It can be capped at something like 250 per year of service. Hopefully this is not the case.

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
Still looking into it atm. She’s had it paid all 12 years she’s been there.

Atm I think I have her basic minimum settlement figure calculated. But need to work out how it works re unpaid holiday and lack of statutory notice being served.

Firstly, crap news. Always awful no matter time but you're already doing the right things.

If holiday is calendar year, use it ASAP. Any that gets rolled over they won't be obliged to pay out on.

Not sure on statutory notice

The bonus thing sounds to me like it would go a tribunal if you pushed hard enough, but may be worth settling beforehand. Can't guarantee winning and it's expensive.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Firstly, crap news. Always awful no matter time but you're already doing the right things.

If holiday is calendar year, use it ASAP. Any that gets rolled over they won't be obliged to pay out on.

Not sure on statutory notice

The bonus thing sounds to me like it would go a tribunal if you pushed hard enough, but may be worth settling beforehand. Can't guarantee winning and it's expensive.

She gets her figure offered today apparently and will then sort holiday as had 3 weeks left as they compulsory shut her department down over Xmas. So was gonna be off 16th to 30th. With a Few other days prior to that.

I think we would just use the bonus as a bargaining chip if we feel the payout is on the low side. See if It can help negotiations.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I'm in same boat. To be made redundant 31st Dec. Good init. :mad:

I got made redundant at the same time. To be fair I was given enough notice to make contingency plans and find another job to start in the new year so had the redundancy cash in the bank (and ultimately towards a deposit on our first house). Feel for the OP and his wife as that's crap news to come out of the blue and it doesn't sound as though anyone has really got things sorted from an HR/managerial side on what is or isn't on offer. As she had been there a number of years I wonder if her T&C's are historic and may not be what is in the current contracts. Worth checking

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
I got made redundant at the same time. To be fair I was given enough notice to make contingency plans and find another job to start in the new year so had the redundancy cash in the bank (and ultimately towards a deposit on our first house). Feel for the OP and his wife as that's crap news to come out of the blue and it doesn't sound as though anyone has really got things sorted from an HR/managerial side on what is or isn't on offer. As she had been there a number of years I wonder if her T&C's are historic and may not be what is in the current contracts. Worth checking

Fortunately only been in this role for 2 years. And has signed new contract each time role has ch aged in the 12 years. So expect she’ll be covered by the later laws and legislation. Atm though giving her a bit of space. I’m quite analytical. So am simply working everything out, whilst she is head in the sand. So will hopefully have answers for her when she braves the conversation.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Any idea how they do that? As everything I’ve seen suggests minimum of 1 week full pay for each years service.

It looks like it changed this year. Can be capped at 525 and max statutory payout of about 15k. The company I work for is run by an absolute shyster anyway.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
It looks like it changed this year. Can be capped at 525 and max statutory payout of about 15k. The company I work for is run by an absolute shyster anyway.

Yeah, I her actually redundant won’t get close to 15k, but with holiday entitled, plus payment for lack of notice and holiday allocation. It’ll get close.