Mental aspect question

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Experts I'm in need of your knowledge.

The last round or two, despite my best efforts, I've reverted to hitting the ball rather than trusting my swing to get the distance.

My horror shot at the minute is a vicious pull, sometimes pull draw/borderline hook but this only happens when the above happens.

As a remedy. Is telling myself I have the correct club and just focus on a smooth swing, letting the loft and shaft do the work an acceptable "cure"?

Or

Would it be better to take a club more and force myself to swing easy rather than hit?

Your thoughts?

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Pulling will be the shoulders leading the downswing... just stop doing that :D

Exactly James.

This is semi my point. When I try and hit instead of swing my shoulders take over at the top, but only when I try and muller it.

The obvious answer would be don't muller it I suppose :mad:

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Taking too much club and swinging easy isn't the answer, if anything that'll make it worse as your lower body will still be too quiet.

I dare say you need to find your tempo so you can hit a 100% shot that you're happy with rather than going for 110%.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Taking too much club and swinging easy isn't the answer, if anything that'll make it worse as your lower body will still be too quiet.

I dare say you need to find your tempo so you can hit a 100% shot that you're happy with rather than going for 110%.

Exactly right James.

It's not every shot I hit, just very occasional where I perhaps feel it a full x Iron, in which case I should take a club up.

I think it's just a case of telling myself I have the right club and swing to my usual tempo.

Monty_Brown

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I also think, to add to your thinking Gareth, that as your ball striking continues to improve, you will be able to trust the quality of strike to get the ball the desired distance as well as pure clubhead speed.

Puring it out of the middle of those lovely MP 32s will get the job done better than an extra 5mph, as you know! ;)

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
I also think, to add to your thinking Gareth, that as your ball striking continues to improve, you will be able to trust the quality of strike to get the ball the desired distance as well as pure clubhead speed.

Puring it out of the middle of those lovely MP 32s will get the job done better than an extra 5mph, as you know! ;)

Very true Monty.

Our 4th is a fractionally up hill 154 yard, par 3 and I can hit a lovely push draw into it with an almost effortless 6 iron.

But....... I know the yardage to that is pretty much right for a smooth 6.

I think the issue I have is not knowing my landing zone yardage and trying to smash it for pure distance, which we all know doesn't work :smirk:

jdchelsea

Head Pro
Visit site
i have a similar type of problem and i think it all comes down to rhythm/tempo and maintaining it.......I havent worked out how to do that yet lol

Got a copy of the true tempo tones so I'm gonna have a go hitting balls whilst listening to them see if it makes any difference.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Very true Monty.

Our 4th is a fractionally up hill 154 yard, par 3 and I can hit a lovely push draw into it with an almost effortless 6 iron.

Fractionally? It'd have to be vertical for it to be a 6-iron!!

:whistle:

.......I think you dropped your handbag.