Men's attitude and the rules!!

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I played in a mixed singles comp last week. Semi friendly but trophy involved.

I came in for a lot of criticism for pushing the point that the ladies should receive 5 course adjustment shots (often mis named as courtesy shots).

I felt totally vindicated when the results were announced as not a single one of the ladies bettered the score of any man.

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
If the SSS varies between the tees used by men and women then handicap adjustment should take place. That could benefit either gender and depends on the course, although it tends to be women that get the shots in medal and men in stableford (par diffs are also significant here) formats.

Anyone who argues against that is cheating. And that attitude is VERY common unfortunately.

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
I don't think that is a question that even would come up in Germany, to be honest, because with the slope rating, the number of shots is adjusted with the difficulty from different tees for both genders. So you can have mixed comps where men and women tee off from different tees and with a different number of shots for the same handicap (for example, at my home course, a man with a handicap of 18 would get 22 shots off the yellows, while a female player with the same handicap playing off the reds would only get 21 shots). Or men and women can tee off from a tee which is rated for both male and female players, at our course those are the black tees, which are in the middle between the yellows and the reds, the man would only get 16 shots, while the ladies would get 23 for an 18 handicap. There are the occasional discussions about it (usually started by a miffed male middle-ager who has been outdriven by a long hitting woman on a few tees), but all in all it seems to be a pretty fair system that does not favour either gender.

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I played in a mixed singles comp last week. Semi friendly but trophy involved.

I came in for a lot of criticism for pushing the point that the ladies should receive 5 course adjustment shots (often mis named as courtesy shots).

I felt totally vindicated when the results were announced as not a single one of the ladies bettered the score of any man.

I presume from your ire that the ladies didn't receive any adjustment shots. Surprised any entered.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not sure who you were communicating with and who was criticing you.

However, I have learnt over the years to make such points to the organising committee in writing before the event and never speak of it again (to anyone, ever, ever).

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I presume from your ire that the ladies didn't receive any adjustment shots. Surprised any entered.

Wrong way round, the ladies got the shots, my ire was against the men players, including the club captain. I felt vindicated because it showed quite clearly that the system works.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not sure who you were communicating with and who was criticing you.

However, I have learnt over the years to make such points to the organising committee in writing before the event and never speak of it again (to anyone, ever, ever).

As part of our handicap and competitions committee with our head honcho responsible for organising the event, I felt it right to sort out before play commenced.