Me and my shadow!

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ok so this "summer" it has been a rarity but I really struggle when I can see my shadow over a full shot. If the shadow is directly in front I seldom hit it flush and notice it on my practice swing and from there doubt I'm going to middle it. I try to focus on the back of the ball and ignore myself but can't seem to...

Any tips/advice? Thanks.

PS What I see most (dislike most) is how my left knee collapses inwards on the backswing so maybe I need tips on how to stop doing that??!!

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
sounds to me that you are simply thinking too much about your swing (while it's going on) and the shadow just brings this home.

you really need to shift the focus of your mind fundamentally

Heidi

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Ok so this "summer" it has been a rarity but I really struggle when I can see my shadow over a full shot. If the shadow is directly in front I seldom hit it flush and notice it on my practice swing and from there doubt I'm going to middle it. I try to focus on the back of the ball and ignore myself but can't seem to...

Any tips/advice? Thanks.

PS What I see most (dislike most) is how my left knee collapses inwards on the backswing so maybe I need tips on how to stop doing that??!!
how odd - never considered my shadow cept when its on my line of putt! stop thinking! ;)

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Does it make your bum look big in it? :thup:

No! Then again maybe I need to look a bit harder :whistle:

sounds to me that you are simply thinking too much about your swing (while it's going on) and the shadow just brings this home.

you really need to shift the focus of your mind fundamentally

how odd - never considered my shadow cept when its on my line of putt! stop thinking! ;)

Duncan and Heidi. I'm sure you're right although even when I've been hitting it great and very confident I still notice and get distracted. Will try tomorrow (assuming the sun shines) to listen to you both (and Dr Bob) and just trust my swing...not easy.

Heidi

Tour Rookie
Visit site
No! Then again maybe I need to look a bit harder :whistle:

Duncan and Heidi. I'm sure you're right although even when I've been hitting it great and very confident I still notice and get distracted. Will try tomorrow (assuming the sun shines) to listen to you both (and Dr Bob) and just trust my swing...not easy.
played in the sun today and still didnt notice my shadow! but i was super concentrating ;)

how did you get on mand?

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
played in the sun today and still didnt notice my shadow! but i was super concentrating ;)

how did you get on mand?

Still flipping saw it and heeled my drive on the 15th tee as usual when the sun is out! Really tried to just ignore it but trying to not do something usually means I'll do it (a rebellious child!).

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
The solution is clear, Amanda. Move to Edinburgh!

Seems a long time since I saw my shadow on a golf course. I'm just about to go for a practice round at Murrayfield ahead of a big interclub competition this week and the rain is chucking it down. To say I'm unenthusiastic is an understatement.....

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
The solution is clear, Amanda. Move to Edinburgh!

Seems a long time since I saw my shadow on a golf course. I'm just about to go for a practice round at Murrayfield ahead of a big interclub competition this week and the rain is chucking it down. To say I'm unenthusiastic is an understatement.....

Ha! Forecast this week means not much shadow shirking going on here either!

Good luck!

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site
you're not the only one amanda!
The orientation of our course means that quite a few holes will be played with the sun directly behind you (if we have any)

A couple of weeks ago i was playing on a rare sunny and windy day.
I'm set up to my putt, with my shadow in front of me and the gusty wind is making the pleat in the back of my skirt flap about... so the shadow is flickering right over the ball.
I hit the putt about 7 foot past the hole!

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
you're not the only one amanda!
The orientation of our course means that quite a few holes will be played with the sun directly behind you (if we have any)

A couple of weeks ago i was playing on a rare sunny and windy day.
I'm set up to my putt, with my shadow in front of me and the gusty wind is making the pleat in the back of my skirt flap about... so the shadow is flickering right over the ball.

Now I have the solution for that one - shorts or tuck your skort in your knickers :)

It's only on a full swing when it bothers me for some reason...

Heidi

Tour Rookie
Visit site
why not just change to left handed clubs...then your shadow wont bother you?!

seriously tho...stop thinking! ;)

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
why not just change to left handed clubs...then your shadow wont bother you?!

seriously tho...stop thinking! ;)

It's worth consideration! Ok **if** the yellow orb in the sky shines tomorrow I am going to ignore it. Not only that I'm going to cream my drive down the 15th...

Forecast is for no sun and I'm not playing til late afternoon so neither likely to happen!

Heidi

Tour Rookie
Visit site
It's worth consideration! Ok **if** the yellow orb in the sky shines tomorrow I am going to ignore it. Not only that I'm going to cream my drive down the 15th...

Forecast is for no sun and I'm not playing til late afternoon so neither likely to happen!
ok - to make sure its the perfect round - make sure you have the right clothes - no rustly waterproofs, undies that fit well, socks on the right feet, old comfy waterproof shoes...etc

there will be no sun - i can guarantee that!
best of luck

I'm thinking of taking up indoor pursuits like tiddlywinks cos i'm never getting out this week - and its St Andrews ladies open on saturday...please stop raining!!

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
ok - to make sure its the perfect round - make sure you have the right clothes - no rustly waterproofs, undies that fit well, socks on the right feet, old comfy waterproof shoes...etc

there will be no sun - i can guarantee that!
best of luck

I'm thinking of taking up indoor pursuits like tiddlywinks cos i'm never getting out this week - and its St Andrews ladies open on saturday...please stop raining!!

Don't get me started on rustly waterproofs and up yer bum undies!!

This summer is a joke - trench foot more the risk than sunburn...

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com

You describe Smiffy's issues so perfectly!