Mayweather vs McGregor - Official

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Somehow this is actually a thing. Conor and Floyd have agreed to a deal, with the fight taking place August 26th in Las Vegas. This is going to be mental. Biggest fight in combat sports history.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
$100 million each if the BBC is to be believed. Don't know why anyone would bother to be honest, as good as each are in their individual fields I can only see one result if we are playing in Mayweather's domain.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
A victory for hype and marketing. To quote a recent popular music song, "it's all about the money, money, it's all about the money". As a sporting contest it is a nonsense.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
$100 million each if the BBC is to be believed. Don't know why anyone would bother to be honest, as good as each are in their individual fields I can only see one result if we are playing in Mayweather's domain.

You gave the reason anyone is bothered in your first line.

I'm in Vegas the week after this - damn it.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
I wouldn't completely rule McGregor out. Obviously the most likely result by a huge percentage is a dominant Mayweather decision, but Conor does pose some interesting threats to Floyd. He's bigger than Floyd, is incredibly quick, has strange movement that Floyd will not have seen before in a boxing ring, and the power in his left hand can put anyone down. If, and it's a big if, Conor lands that left hand he could knock Floyd out. It's unlikely, but certainly not impossible when you've got a guy as talented as Conor. Floyd's also 40 now, and it'll be almost 2 years since he last fought when this fight comes around, that could definitely play a factor.

D

Deleted member 15344

Complete joke really and all about hype and money - got to be embarrassing for the sport of boxing.

No doubt the fight will be a damp squid but the pair of them will have the money rolling in

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Why's it embarrassing? Conor might not be a boxer, but he's a legitimate top-level combat sports athlete. This is a dream match-up, the greatest boxer of all-time vs the best p4p mixed martial artist in the world. The money will roll in and rightly so.

D

Deleted member 16999

Why's it embarrassing? Conor might not be a boxer, but he's a legitimate top-level combat sports athlete. This is a dream match-up, the greatest boxer of all-time vs the best p4p mixed martial artist in the world. The money will roll in and rightly so.

Because Mayweather goes back to retirement and McGregor back to UFC, both with $100mil in their pockets, how does it benefit boxing as a sport, win win for them.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Because Mayweather goes back to retirement and McGregor back to UFC, both with $100mil in their pockets, how does it benefit boxing as a sport, win win for them.

It will get millions of viewers on the young fighters Mayweather Promotions and Showtime are looking to promote and allow them to begin building a future star for the sport. How is that not good? Surely the more views and the more interest in a sport the better? This is the biggest fight of all-time, we've never seen anything like this before, it's going to blow Mayweather-Pacquiao out of the water. I don't get how people aren't excited, especially fight fans.

D

Deleted member 16999

It will get millions of viewers on the young fighters Mayweather Promotions and Showtime are looking to promote and allow them to begin building a future star for the sport. How is that not good? Surely the more views and the more interest in a sport the better? This is the biggest fight of all-time, we've never seen anything like this before, it's going to blow Mayweather-Pacquiao out of the water. I don't get how people aren't excited, especially fight fans.
Nowhere did I say it won't be a great fight or break viewing figures, just be honest about the reasons though, it's not for the good and benefit of boxing, look at how you described the fight in your op "Biggest fight in combat sports history" mate, it's a boxing match.

Mayweather is in his 40's and been retired 2 years, McGregor in his prime and a UFC fighter, it's a prize fight on a world-wide scale,
I don't get how people don't see it for what it is.

D

Deleted member 15344

It's all hype and money and nothing to do with promoting the sport etc

Both of them are multi millionaires but Mayweather "held out " for his fee - it's a circus act

Yes it will be popular but that doesn't make it anymore than an overhyped gimmicked designed to make a few people very rich.

£100mil each fo two guys to punch each other - everything that is wrong with sport.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It's all hype and money and nothing to do with promoting the sport etc

Both of them are multi millionaires but Mayweather "held out " for his fee - it's a circus act

Yes it will be popular but that doesn't make it anymore than an overhyped gimmicked designed to make a few people very rich.

£100mil each fo two guys to punch each other - everything that is wrong with sport.

why does it have to be about promoting the sport? Its only going to make the money because there are millions who want to watch and pay for the fight, if thats what they choose why is that wrong?

D

Deleted member 16999

why does it have to be about promoting the sport? Its only going to make the money because there are millions who want to watch and pay for the fight, if thats what they choose why is that wrong?
It's not wrong, just let's not pretend it's something else, yes I'll be watching, hopefully it'll be a worthy spectacle, but it's one former great boxer fighting a current great UFC guy for a fist full of money.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It's not wrong, just let's not pretend it's something else, yes I'll be watching, hopefully it'll be a worthy spectacle, but it's one former great boxer fighting a current great UFC guy for a fist full of money.

no pretense here, am a big ufc fan but have little interest in this, macgregor struggles sparring with ordinary boxers, not a prayer IF mayweather is anywhere near his best (and probably doesnt even need that), the big gloves as big a handicap as there could possibly be

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
I love boxing. This isn't a boxing match though. Don't blame them for setting it up, getting $100m or so each, why wouldn't you? Will be interesting to see if they do get the PPV demand to meet those dollars. Wouldn't surprise me if they don't get anywhere near the traffic they need.

McGregor has a puncher's chance and that is it. I'll watch, but only via free streaming thanks.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
I love boxing. This isn't a boxing match though. Don't blame them for setting it up, getting $100m or so each, why wouldn't you? Will be interesting to see if they do get the PPV demand to meet those dollars. Wouldn't surprise me if they don't get anywhere near the traffic they need.

McGregor has a puncher's chance and that is it. I'll watch, but only via free streaming thanks.

Unlikely. The two biggest PPV draws in the history of Combat Sports. This is going to pull 5m+ PPV buys easily.

D

Deleted member 16999

no pretense here, am a big ufc fan but have little interest in this, macgregor struggles sparring with ordinary boxers, not a prayer IF mayweather is anywhere near his best (and probably doesnt even need that), the big gloves as big a handicap as there could possibly be
Wasn't aimed at you mate, it was a general point. :thup:

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think this is just further proof that the world's gone mad. This is pure marketing hype to generate $mega for all involved but with no sporting credibility at all.

It's fascinating, though!