Matchplay win but felt terrible afterwards

Bigfoot

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I knew when our society knockout draw was made it was going to be difficult. Of the other 31 players, I was drawn to play my son. We played today and although he only had to give me 2 shots rather than 4 ( society h'cap lower than club ) I won 2 and 1.

Walking off I felt worse than I have felt after losing. We both played well. Both had 2 birdies. The lead changed hands a number of times. All square after he birdied from 2 feet on 14. He had a couple of lip out for birdie too.

It's not as if he is really young - 24 - so I should not feel sorry for him, but I do. I hope I never have to play him again. I knew it was difficult being a father but nobody told me about this.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I knew when our society knockout draw was made it was going to be difficult. Of the other 31 players, I was drawn to play my son. We played today and although he only had to give me 2 shots rather than 4 ( society h'cap lower than club ) I won 2 and 1.

Walking off I felt worse than I have felt after losing. We both played well. Both had 2 birdies. The lead changed hands a number of times. All square after he birdied from 2 feet on 14. He had a couple of lip out for birdie too.

It's not as if he is really young - 24 - so I should not feel sorry for him, but I do. I hope I never have to play him again. I knew it was difficult being a father but nobody told me about this.

Did you take his cash ;)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
He'll get over it. Im an only child and never had the chance to play against my dad or any siblings but I know in the case of my dad, there would have been no quarter given on his part and he'd have expected me to try my hardest in return. If you want to win anything there is sometimes little place for sentiment.

Birchy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Its all life experience mate. Your the head of the family and you were just showing him whos boss :)

You best enjoy the moment because there will come a time when he will destroy you on a regular basis :thup:

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
He'll know when he does beat you he's earned it.

I don't let my lad win, and twice now he's birdied the last for a half... he'll destroy me soon.

Bigfoot

Tour Rookie
Visit site
He'll know when he does beat you he's earned it.

I don't let my lad win, and twice now he's birdied the last for a half... he'll destroy me soon.

I have never let him win . He has won in the past but as this was in a knockout, it seemed worse. Why, I'm not sure, but it was. I still feel lousy now and we finished 10 hours ago.

sweatysock41

Q-School Graduate
www.oakridgegolfclub.co.uk
Whilst I can understand the hurt in beating your son - it is after all a competition. He will come back stronger and more determined if you are drawn against him again there will be that added incentive 'revenge'.

What he would probably find lousy is if you let beating him affect your future matches in this comp.

humphry11

Hacker
Visit site
If you had let him win he would have known and you would have felt worse. I win against my son most times when we play (he is 34) but only because I play regularly and my short game is so much better. I always buy the drinks and bacon butties, which helps!

mcbroon

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
He'll thank you for it one day. It's a cliche but it's true.

My old man played off 1 in his day and even as a teenager, he never let me win, never gave me anything outside 2 feet.
When I finally beat him, I knew I deserved it and I'm glad he never gave me a free ride.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
thats a lose lose match BF, you feel lousy for beating your son and he would have prob felt lousy for putting his dad out. Make sure you get to the final and have him caddy for you so its a father son victory

thegogg

Head Pro
www.vlgc.co.uk
I was lucky enough to play rugy in the same team as my son in my final year which was very special and now we both play golf together and the little git has just had his handicap dropped below mine and doesn't he let me know it:angry:

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
exactly! rub his nose in it! theres many a father around the land who can only dream of a good match with their son! its been 10years or more since i last played my dad. i remember the 1st and only time i went around lower than him! he packed the game in soon after so enjoy the moment!

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
When I play my daughter I play to win, my pride would not expect anything less, nor would she.

When I was about 14 I holed a 3 iron against my dad once and all I got was a grunt. It was not a perfect shot but it was not too bad!

Last edited:

Stub

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Just be grateful you get the chance to play together, win or lose. My son doesn't play any sport because his work is long irregular hours so I don't get the chance to play any game with him, but would love to if it were possible.

hangover

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Dont feel guilty. I love playing against my father and beating him and he is the same when he beats me. Nothing better than having the bragging rights.

Bigfoot

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Just be grateful you get the chance to play together, win or lose. My son doesn't play any sport because his work is long irregular hours so I don't get the chance to play any game with him, but would love to if it were possible.

I do look forward to playing with him even though he hardly says anything. I was pleased when last year he joined the golf society without me asking him. ( I was with the society in Devon and the secretary said he had had an email from my son about joining - I was amazed as he had not mentioned it.) He also asked me to play in a national pairs competition. That was good.

I am also lucky that both my sons play cricket and we play in the same team sometimes.