Matchplay playing of hole in an incorrect order

pk59

Visit site
I have just finished playing in a local matchplay competition. I was playing away and because the course was busy and a tee time had not been booked, we started on the 7th and did 8 and 9, then we went to the 1st, then did 2-6, then missed out 10 and went onto 11 and continued until the 15th where i lost the match. With all the above in mind was this type of playing order allowed in matchplay? Also, on two holes I conceded before my opponent played his second shots. once I declared that `I concede the hole` he played his second shots onto the green and had a few practice putts before joining me on the next tee!!! is this allowed. any help on the above two subjects would be most appreciated

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
Unfortunately, by playing the holes out of sequence like that, you were in breach of Rule 2-1 which states the match must be played over a stipulated round i.e. 18 holes in sequence, unless the Committee has said otherwise. I can't see the result of your match being valid but you should refer the matter to your Committee.

Your concessions were ok - you can concede a hole at any time before its start or during the play of it.

Your opponent was entitled to play out the hole after its outcome had been decided. That is not "practice" in breach of 7-2.
You are allowed to practise chipping and putting on or near the green of the hole concluded as long as you don't delay play.

pk59

Visit site
Thanks for the information Colin. I thought it didnt seem right. in the few years I have been playing golf I have never played a matchplay like that. i will certainly be referring it to the organising committee

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Colin is correct. He's da man!

"The "stipulated round" consists of playing the holes of the course in their correct sequence unless otherwise authorized by the Committee. The number of holes in a stipulated round is 18 unless a smaller number is authorized by the Committee."

So, even agreeing to play over 9 holes (say, as a last resort) would need committee authorization.

You've been done mate.....

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
As a further note, Decision 2-1/4 suggests to me that you should both be disqualified. In your case, by agreeing to play the holes out of order, you both agreed to waive a Rule (i.e. 2-1 to play the stipulated round) and are therefore in breach of Rule 1-3 which prohibits any agreement to exclude a Rule. The penalty for breach of 1-3 is DQ of both sides.

You're both shafted as far as I can see.:(

Last edited: