Matchplay Handicapping

MKDave

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Just out of interest wondered if someone could clear up my Matchplay Handicapping question.

I'm a 22 handicapper, my Dad's a 24 handicapper so when we play the occasional game of matchplay he gets a shot from me on stroke index 1 and 2, or that's how we've done it before.

Now usually I'd receive 2 shots up to S.I 4 and my dad would get 5 and 6 aswell (in stableford)

When we play matchplay I think he should get his 2 shots on S.I 5 + 6 rather than 1 +2??

Thoughts please?

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Matchplay handicapping is (or should be) done so that shots are given/received at the same point within the round for everyone. For example you & your dad play off 22 & 24 - two shots different. Shots given at si 1&2 - which for arguments sake we'll say are holes 5 and 12. Now say that Bill, and Ben play off 8 & 10 - still two shots and therefore they will also give/receive shots at holes 5 & 12. Mork & Mindy play off scratch and +2 - shots still given at hole 5 & 12 etc.

The way you were suggesting would mean that you & your dad, Bill & Ben and Mork & Mindy would all be giving shots at differing points within the round

(There should be a different SI rating for strokeplay.)

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
(There should be a different SI rating for strokeplay.)

I know a top 50 course (where I used to play) where the S.I. 1 is chosen entirely for matchplay purposes. It's a scheme I've never fully understood. In stableford, it was a sort of "joke"......I mean, why give me a shot on a comparatively easy hole so I get a 4 nett 3 for 3 points, and then one of the tough ones, I get a 5 nett 5 for only 1 point? Same points, admittedly, but just weird.

It does however add a touch of interest to matchplay.

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
In matchplay the lowest person goes to scratch & the high one goes to wha ever the balance is , so you go to scratch , your dad is then 2 , so he has a shot on index 1 & 2

MKDave

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I think it's also worth mentioning that you are playing against each other rather than against the course, so it's logical the strokes should be at 1 & 2.

Only reason I'm clutching at straws is that stroke index 1 and 2 at silverstone for me are not really par chances. Both are good bogies for us but kills me when I make bogey on both of them and so does my old man and I lose two holes.

Never mind just need to change tactics I think and stop going for the par's and gifting him the hole and just hope my bogey gets me a couple of halves.