Marking the ball on the green on your oppo's line?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Had an incident this year in one of the club knockouts.

On the green about a foot from the hole at most, thinks my oppo is going to give me the put as he has already taken 3 shots so had a 15 footer for par and as he wasn't going to win the hole with the 4. He asked me to move my marker inside his line of putt. leaves the putt 3 foot short marks again so as i'm going to win the hole anyway give him the put.

anyway to my suprise he still makes me putt out and i forget to put the marker back to its original spot which is the same distance from the hole. Hole the put and he says "my hole then, you didn't mark the ball back to its orginal place, lose of hole"

Rules are rules so beat him anyway but left a bad taste in my mouth as he was just one of those guys who would do anthing to win, like gangleing his pocked full of tee's while you are putting and moving about in your eyeline while taking a shot and putting.

I'll get to the point now.

Do you have to move your marker if its on your oppo's line?

Cos if i play against this gentleman again i' thinking not and refusing to if allowed.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
i heard that tiger woods puts his maker upside down if he has to move it. maybe you should get into that habbit. this wont happen again to you im sure!

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Tell the angle shooting douche to do one imo. Make sure everyone in the club knows what sort of an arse he is and the lengths he will go to to win.

Im pretty sure you have to move it if requested, and sadly onus is on you to replace. That said this idiot was clearly aware and waiting for you not to replace it, any normal golfer wouldve reminded you as you were replacing it if aware themselves

Fader

Tour Winner
Visit site
Sounds like a right t****r. Glad you beat him and hope it was a resounding victory that you took great pleasure in. I think every club has one of those types, I know ours has a couple and their related to each other.

Not sure on the answer to your query though, perhaps you could have just tapped it down. But the idea of using the other side of the marker is a good one for a reminder might just use that myself

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
Is there not something that if they oppo does something like this on purpose he is penalised instead though?

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
what a right kn~b glad you went on to beat him anyways sounds like he contrived the said situation for his own get of jail card. Leaves a sour taste i didnt think you had to move your marker and like chris said i thought there was a penalty for knowingly letting an oppo break the rules.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
If your marker is interfering with an opponent's or a fellow competitor's play, you should move it at his request. If I remember rightly there isn't a rule directly stating that, but given that the marker is standing in for the ball and that Rule 22-2 explicitly gives a player the right to have a ball moved if it is interfering with his play, the right to have the marker moved is, in my view, implicit. Also the Note to Rule 20-1 makes that assumption:

If the ball-marker interferes with the play, stance or stroke of another player, it should be placed one or more clubhead-lengths to one side.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
If your marker is interfering with an opponent's or a fellow competitor's play, you should move it at his request. If I remember rightly there isn't a rule directly stating that, but given that the marker is standing in for the ball and that Rule 22-2 explicitly gives a player the right to have a ball moved if it is interfering with his play, the right to have the marker moved is, in my view, implicit. Also the Note to Rule 20-1 makes that assumption:

If the ball-marker interferes with the play, stance or stroke of another player, it should be placed one or more clubhead-lengths to one side.

Bugger!!

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site

Precisely.

Mind you, the right response to his total lack of sportsmanship (there may not be a rule against it, but his action stinks) is to play next time with impeccable courtesy and consideration. He might not notice it, but you can feel gloriously virtuous - especially if you beat the

Last edited by a moderator:

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site
i agree he was a pain in the posterior , but why did you not just tap in after your initial putt, story ended
Tapping in at that point would have been playing out of turn.
Not loss of hole, but t'other chap could make you retake the putt, which could be enough to cause a miss...

Edit - I use the tiger reminder of turning my marker over. Useful next time you play this chap - ensure the marker is one of those with a knobble underneath it!

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
that a new one on me .your saying if i putt and leave it on the lip , i can't tap it in . and if i do he can make you do it again . better ask the experts

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
that a new one on me .your saying if i putt and leave it on the lip , i can't tap it in . and if i do he can make you do it again . better ask the experts

We don't need to ask the experts, you're being told the right thing which you could easily check!

Rule 10 - 1 b + c

After both players have started play of the hole, the ball farther from the hole is played first. If the balls are equidistant from the hole or their positions relative to the hole are not determinable, the ball to be played first should be decided by lot.

c. Playing Out of Turn
If a player plays when his opponent should have played, there is no penalty, but the opponent may immediately require the player to cancel the stroke so made and, in correct order, play a ball as nearly as possible at the spot from which the original ball was last played (see Rule 20-5).

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Tapping in at that point would have been playing out of turn.
Not loss of hole, but t'other chap could make you retake the putt, which could be enough to cause a miss...

Edit - I use the tiger reminder of turning my marker over. Useful next time you play this chap - ensure the marker is one of those with a knobble underneath it!

Troube is i tend to use a coin or a magnetic marker and don't use any particular side of the marker to would be none the wiser at the moment.

I'm an old fashioned type of guy and sportsmanship goes a long way with me, this guy has no class of sportsmanship so behaving like a gentleman would make to differnce here.