Mandatory Allowances

NearHull

Visit site
I’ve just been contacted by a member to check whether the 4BBB allowance is 85%. I was able to reassure him that 85% is the mandatory allowance. He is booked into Hollinwell 4BBB Stableford Open tomorrow and they are insisting on 75%.
I had a similar experience at Fulford 4BBB Stableford Seniors Open a few weeks ago. They insisted on 100%.
Both of these courses are top courses, holding some top events, Hollinwell even holds Open Qualifying events. Why do these clubs feel that they can blatantly break the Rules of Golf/Handicap with such arrogance?

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Looking at the R&A site, Appendix C states 'Recommended'. Does this mean clubs can change if they see fit? Not sure why they would, but stranger things have happened when it comes to handicaps :)

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Looking at the R&A site, Appendix C states 'Recommended'. Does this mean clubs can change if they see fit? Not sure why they would, but stranger things have happened when it comes to handicaps :)
I have been told that CONGU will be stating that all handicap allowance are mandatory. This is still to be released but will be out shortly!

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Excellent, the death of Texas Scrambles is nigh, bring it on (y):love:

Why will it kill them off?

My experience of playing to the new handicap allowances was that the low handicap groups were evenly spread through the field and that all the teams appeared to have a chance of winning. The 10% of the team handicap, to me, is clearly skewed to the benefit of low handicap teams and I see this change going to be the re making of scrambles

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site

The R&A/USGA rules recommend the allowances in Appendix C. CONGU has already stated that they are mandatory in GB&I:

The National Associations within CONGU® have determined that allowances set out in the table in Appendix C are mandatory.
[Guidance on the WHS Rules of Handicapping, GC (Appendix 1), page 21]

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The R&A/USGA rules recommend the allowances in Appendix C. CONGU has already stated that they are mandatory in GB&I:

The National Associations within CONGU® have determined that allowances set out in the table in Appendix C are mandatory.
Not too confusing then!!! :cool::cool::cool:

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
Why will it kill them off?

My experience of playing to the new handicap allowances was that the low handicap groups were evenly spread through the field and that all the teams appeared to have a chance of winning. The 10% of the team handicap, to me, is clearly skewed to the benefit of low handicap teams and I see this change going to be the re making of scrambles
Scrambles were invariably full, there's been a massive outcry this year and we haven't reached peak Scramble season yet which only really starts as September kicks in, so I'm not seeing how they will pick up more teams then full, but judging by the reaction they'll lose a lot. One club has already specifically advertised their TS Open as 10% in response (I won't name them on here for obvious reasons above)

Beedee

Assistant Pro
Visit site
They'll enjoy Am-Ams or 4BBB more. There's a generation in Scotland have barely seen a 4BBB since the advent of TS opens, and they're a rotten form of golf.
I may be over reading things. Maybe I'm just too sensitive and reading between the lines. But I don't think you like Texas Scramble. Maybe you should mention it sometime just so we're all clear.

NearHull

Visit site
Please don’t turn this discussion about how mandated allowances are being ignored into a Texas Scramble debate.

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site

This seems like an extreme position of the National Associations to take and feels like the NA wishes to control things which, imo, should be left to the club that is organizing the event(s). Again, imo, just leave the allowances as recommendations.
When I was working, we had a saying for things like this, "invented in head office to be implemented in the field". Many of these initiatives were not well-received in the field and would just fade away.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
In making the allowances mandatory, the CONGU countries presumably thought it important to have consistency in the application of handicaps to competitions. It will be interesting to see if it is seen as important enough to monitor and enforce.

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
In making the allowances mandatory, the CONGU countries presumably thought it important to have consistency in the application of handicaps to competitions. It will be interesting to see if it is seen as important enough to monitor and enforce.
I fully understand mandating how handicaps are established, and feel that recommending handicap allowances is sufficient. Mandating allowances just seems heavy-handed. Just my two pence worth.