Man-U vs Hull

Herbie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Is everyone a man-u fan on here? I dont see any comments on how brilliantly Hull did against them and if not for the lucky side of the post(twice) would man-u have won?

If Hull sustain this standard I recon a breath of fresh air will enter the league results, top 10 is no pipe dream.

vig

Tour Winner
Visit site
I watched it on Football first with my lad (utd fan).
Hull were dead and burried at one point but they showed some balls and no little talent to give it a right go.
If they continue to graft like this they will be safe. Next season could be the sticky one.

As I have previously stated, I have a lot of friends from Hull and are tigers fans. I really do hope they stay up,,,, And Herb I will gladly eat my shorts if they qualify for Europe

Herbie

Tour Winner
Visit site
I heard Man Utd had a ton of chances. Ferguson was quoted as being annoyed they didn't score 10 or 11, I'll find the link.

Alex Ferguson - Hull

Ha ha now now sneds dont you think that is a little bit of Man-u exageration? lol, in that case Hull had a couple more other than those they scored lol.

Im not a fan of either, but as has been said, it would have been nice to bring one of these very pricey teams down to earth and make people realise that great players arent always the greatest price. heh heh

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Apart from the fact they beat us first day of the season (I'm a Fulham fan) I'm not too upset to see Hull ruffle a few feathers. It is always good and I think they will have a similar season to Reading when they came up. It is 2nd season syndrome that they need to avoid

theeaglehunter

Tour Winner
Visit site
Anyone remember the first season of Ipswich town in the premiership? Finished 5th (guess- but it was in a european spot so there abouts) And the next season they were relegated. Ladies and gentleman I give you Hull City. ;)

vig

Tour Winner
Visit site
Anyone remember the first season of Ipswich town in the premiership? Finished 5th (guess- but it was in a european spot so there abouts) And the next season they were relegated. Ladies and gentleman I give you Hull City. ;)

Totally disagree with this.

For Hull read Bolton. Hard graft, closing down opponents and not letting them play. A few good old pro's in there and some quality also.
They need a couple of signings in Jan window to keep their momentum up and strengthen the sqaud and then invest some more next year.

If they all give 100% then they will do ok.

Give me 11 grafters who will fight for each other any day of the week. Prima donna's are what cost teams in the lower half of the league

theeaglehunter

Tour Winner
Visit site
Vig I accept your point but this was identical to the situation with Ipswich and the squad strengthening never occurred. If they do invest in more proven, yet not over the hill players then I may be wrong but your argument about 'good old pros' is the problem Ipswich had, they were good to keep them up for one season but could not do it subsequently. It may not be next year but if younger players are not brought in they will be relegated in the near future. If my memory serves me correctly to many old guys was West Broms downfall recently when they were relegated, too many journeymen who no longer had the legs, although I may be wrong about this. I think Sunderland have the right idea, they had quite a few seasoned pros in their squad for their first premiership year last season and then in January and the summer they spent big on younger proven talent and you have to ask if Hull will have the financial power to do this. Sunderland also began the younger recruiting as soon as they were promoted.

vig

Tour Winner
Visit site
Vig I accept your point but this was identical to the situation with Ipswich and the squad strengthening never occurred. If they do invest in more proven, yet not over the hill players then I may be wrong but your argument about 'good old pros' is the problem Ipswich had, they were good to keep them up for one season but could not do it subsequently. It may not be next year but if younger players are not brought in they will be relegated in the near future. If my memory serves me correctly to many old guys was West Broms downfall recently when they were relegated, too many journeymen who no longer had the legs, although I may be wrong about this. I think Sunderland have the right idea, they had quite a few seasoned pros in their squad for their first premiership year last season and then in January and the summer they spent big on younger proven talent and you have to ask if Hull will have the financial power to do this. Sunderland also began the younger recruiting as soon as they were promoted.

Not sure I would have gone for Diouf, poser doesn't work, temperamental, disappears when things get tough. OR
Chimbonda only in it for the money.

Malbranque = good signing
Cisse = could be good signing

Phil Brown is wise enough not to let it happen

Herbie

Tour Winner
Visit site
I dont see the clear similarity with Ipswitch?

Hull have demonstrated quality play and commitment, they have a solid squad, capable of comeback.

Im sure there will be a levelling next season but I see them as more than good enough to stay up, where with Ipswich I saw chancers and collapse.

There are at least a half dozen teams that are way below the level Hull has produced, it would take a massive effort by those teams and a catastrophic failure by Hull for them to go down next season,a possibility as much as it is for 6 or 7 teams in the league, but unlikely with this team..

theeaglehunter

Tour Winner
Visit site
I agree about Phil Brown being switched on though Vig and was going to put that in my other post if it wasn't for the fact it would have detracted from my argument;), I think if he does continue to stamp his authority over proceedings at Hull they will have a decent chance. And on the signings front Teemu Tanio was also a decent acquisition if only for a short period of time. And as for Diouf I agree he is a waste of time only likely to cause disruption. Chimbonda is a quality player though, I am a spurs fan and was sad to see him go as he was highly reliable most of the time.

Herb I'm not comparing Ipswich' play with Hulls or indeed their temperament but the situation is hugely similar if you look back at it. You say about other teams playing at a worse level than Hull and you are 100% correct but this was the situation with Ipswich they weren't high up in the league by luck they were playing better football than others but it proved to be a rush of blood from their previous years promotion and they were unable to carry on the form into another season, hence their relegation that year.

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
I must admit I have not seen much of hull but do they have a great team or a good squad?

Do they have strength in depth? As the season plods on and players pick up knocks, get tired, suspended etc, will the rest of the team be able to compete and keep the good form running.... I hope so, I do like an underdog storey.

Herbie

Tour Winner
Visit site
I agree about Phil Brown being switched on though Vig and was going to put that in my other post if it wasn't for the fact it would have detracted from my argument;), I think if he does continue to stamp his authority over proceedings at Hull they will have a decent chance. And on the signings front Teemu Tanio was also a decent acquisition if only for a short period of time. And as for Diouf I agree he is a waste of time only likely to cause disruption. Chimbonda is a quality player though, I am a spurs fan and was sad to see him go as he was highly reliable most of the time.

Herb I'm not comparing Ipswich' play with Hulls or indeed their temperament but the situation is hugely similar if you look back at it. You say about other teams playing at a worse level than Hull and you are 100% correct but this was the situation with Ipswich they weren't high up in the league by luck they were playing better football than others but it proved to be a rush of blood from their previous years promotion and they were unable to carry on the form into another season, hence their relegation that year.

I see your point but what I saw when Ipswitch were on a roll was different from this Hull team. I always got the feeling with ipswitch that they were lucky so and so's in a good few matches through that season, whereas Hull have shown ability not to be stomped on and have the presence and belief that enabled come back from what many would perceive as a thrashing and almost turn it round against arguably the best. I never saw Hull so far as being hell for leather flat out hopers, more a working team that out played their oponants in all areas and those they didnt out play they gave a scare.Also Ipswitch didnt have the same level of football standards throughout the league that Hull has had to contend with,when Ipswitch did their thang! at least half the league deserved to be in a lower league.lol
We will probably disagree on this one but I can look at Hull objectively as I dont support them and I think they have the nucleus of a great team that only bad management or lack of funding can destroy and I genuinely feel Hull are better than enough teams in the league to survive next season, comfortably. However if the bottom 8 improve significantly and/or Hull mess up too often then, who knows?Thats one of the mysteries of the beautiful game heh heh!

time_vans

Head Pro
Visit site
regarding the point about finances ..many if not all will be suprised to know that Hull City are in an excellent position as they are relatively debt free hence virtually all the money gained from promotion and premiership status is available for squad strengthening so unlike some clubs the tigers budget will stretch to attract more quality. Definately wont be doing an 'Ipswich' in terms of a top 5 followed by relegation. Top half and consolidation will still be regarded as an outstanding first season.

Barney

Assistant Pro
Visit site
As a season ticket holder for the mighty Tigers I can say we are worth our league position at the moment purely on passion and commitment. Everyone of our players has a job to do. Brownie sets us up and the players stick to their individual job and apart from losing the odd game it has worked.
Long may it continue !!!

I have probably just put the kiss of death on our season!

Herbie

Tour Winner
Visit site
I watched Hull recently Barney and you will be pleased to know you havent put the kiss of death on them.lol.