Lyle on Ryder Cup selection

MacMachattie

Assistant Pro
Visit site
What do people think about Sandy Lyle's suggestion that Europe's Ryder Cup qualification system should be changed? The legendary Scot thinks the places should be decided over just the six months prior to the event.

I'd be worried we'd get some Brett Wetterich style characters in the side who'd just enjoyed a red-hot streak at the right time.

Is it a question of: If it aint broke don't fix it?

Severiano798488

Club Champion
Visit site
I think that the Europeans should stick with their tried and tested formula until results suggest otherwise.

We shouldn't change things just because the Americans have - after two record wins in a row, the only conclusion you can draw from his comments are that he's suggesting change for the sake of it.

I'm a fan of Lyle (won't ever forget his dramatic Masters win) but it seems as though he's keen to get his voice heard as often as possible in order to secure the captaincy for 2010 - he's already stated that it would be his last chance. I think comments like these have the opposite effect to what he is looking for and he should keep them to himself, otherwise he may end up talking himself out of the job.

Shooter_McGavin

Assistant Pro
Visit site
i agree-It seems to me a bit like desperation tactics by lyle in his attempts to become captain and to gain some media attention. Don’t get me wrong Lyle is was one of our finest golfers of recent generations and he is obviously passionate about the Ryder Cup, but it is clear for any one to see that out selection process has been working perfectly, so why change it? Ryder cup results have been so good recently so why change how we pick our team?

muttleee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Of course no one can argue with Europe's results recently but having said that, the USA has underperformed for years in the Ryder Cup. You have to wonder how recent matches would have gone if they had really played to their potential. Any weaknesses in our team would likely have been exposed and our selection system would probably have come in for a lot more criticism. Many people said before the last contest that Paul McGinley was a weak link and so on but now that's forgotten because we won anyway. If we'd been beaten, it would have been a different story.

golfdonkey

Assistant Pro
Visit site
What about 12 captain's picks? Is the Ryder Cup the only international competition in which team members have to qualify? You don't qualify for the England cricket, football, rugby or hockey teams. Even the Walker Cup squad is solely based on selection or wildcard picks.

BigStu

Hacker
Visit site
Not an entirely bad suggestion but would you not end up picking the players that have played well and would probably be in the team using the recent selection process anyway?