Lowest Score Wins book

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Anyone read Lowest Score Wins?

I am thinking about buying it. The price is quite expensive as it comes from USA and can't find any UK sellers. Just wondering if anyone who read it would recommend it?

This is the opening synopses

"[FONT=&quot]Golf is unique: it’s the only sport in which the Lowest Score Wins. Golfers have been inundated for years with advice and sayings intended to help them shoot lower scores, like “spend 50% of your time practicing your putting” or “you’ve got to be in the short grass.”[/FONT][FONT=&quot]What if we told you that most of this popular advice was not true at all? That these myths are holding you back from reaching your potential and shooting the lowest score possible? That putting might be the least important skill in golf, that driving the ball far is much more important than driving it straight, and that Phil Mickelson might just be the best strategist on the PGA Tour?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Lowest Score Wins is NOT your classic golf book. We show you the new way to shoot lower scores — immediately. You’ll learn to use something called Separation Value to guide your practice and how you can use Shot Zones to help you determine your GamePlan for every shot you play. You’ll discover why typical course management strategy fails (hint: it only covers half of the equation). This book is the first of its kind. It is your own personal roadmap to shooting lower scores tomorrow. What are you waiting for?"[/FONT]

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
Funnily I was thinking the same having seen a bit about it on The Sand Trap forum.

Makes some sense, especially for higher handicappers as it suggests certain concepts, e.g. laying up to a preferred yardage, say 75 yards is actually flawed and the closer you are the better. See it uses an example of getting relief from a sprinter head 30 yards out......few players would consider taking it back to 75 yards, even if it was their "preferred yardage". I also agree that for me the long game mistake (tee shot in trees or OOB) can be far more costly than the duffed chip, as recovery may not be achievable as readily.

Would be interested to hear what you thought if you do buy it, or indeed if anyone else has it already.

VVega

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Why there is no Kindle edition in this day and age defeats me (would have removed the cost of print and distribution to all corners of the world ;)

Same for Every shot counts - the only reason I still haven't read it :)

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yep I got it, in the midst of reading it at the mo. There is some cross reference with Mark Broadies Every Shot Counts and is backing up what Mark says. They talk about separation values as in as an example, no point in practising 2ft putts all day long as the gain on others won't be a significant amount compared to holing more 10ft putts will gain more value.

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Yep I got it, in the midst of reading it at the mo. There is some cross reference with Mark Broadies Every Shot Counts and is backing up what Mark says. They talk about separation values as in as an example, no point in practising 2ft putts all day long as the gain on others won't be a significant amount compared to holing more 10ft putts will gain more value.

OK let us know what you think.

At almost £40 for a book need to have some gold for a stingy git like myself to shell out

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
These books are great but you can get most of the same result with just looking at the game you play. Don't need a stat tracking all etc.

For me it's always been 4-20 foot putts, these are the ones to practice as this is the range that can take shots off your round.

Holings putts under 4 needs solid technique and contact. Work on those to hole more short putts.

For me working on the long game will take 10 shots off my game. I'm rubbish outside 100 yards.

I still must practice inside 100, but it's a bit like putting inside 4 feet. It won't take many shots off my game.

Thing is someone could be the complete opposite to me.

I do like these types of books but I feel I can objectify look at my game already so don't need a book to break me away from the generic advice that works for Thomas and Peter but not Paul.

Trojan615

Head Pro
Visit site
I got it last year, I think it was coach on facebook "norby' I think imported a load from the states.

I've read every shot counts and I think that is better. I gave up on lowest score wins, it's a tough read. The practice manual is better

351DRIVER

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
What do the reviews say?

Anyone can write an interesting hook to get you to buy the book, just be dramatic and ask a question...

What if i told you your pivot is wrong and easily fixed, how would finding next level consistency impact your scoring? Imagine this with an applied process for being ready on every shot, BUY MY BOOK before your opponents do!

pogle

Head Pro
Visit site
Funnily I was thinking the same having seen a bit about it on The Sand Trap forum.

Makes some sense, especially for higher handicappers as it suggests certain concepts, e.g. laying up to a preferred yardage, say 75 yards is actually flawed and the closer you are the better. See it uses an example of getting relief from a sprinter head 30 yards out......few players would consider taking it back to 75 yards, even if it was their "preferred yardage". I also agree that for me the long game mistake (tee shot in trees or OOB) can be far more costly than the duffed chip, as recovery may not be achievable as readily.

Would be interested to hear what you thought if you do buy it, or indeed if anyone else has it already.

What does this bit mean?

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
What does this bit mean?

He was discussing the concept of laying up to preferred yardages rather than trying to get closer. Suggests that the closer you are the better your score will be. Uses the analogy of relief from a sprinkler head (soz for the earlier typo - damn spell check :)).

If you had the option of relief say, 30 yards from the green, how many would think about pacing back to 75 yards as thats their "preferred yardage" with a wedge.

Suppose he is rubbishing the suggestion that full shots from further out are easier than half shots closer. I subscribe to this view - I would always take being closer to the hole.

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
If anyone has read the book already, would be great to borrow it for a read. I will pay postage both ways.

If I enjoy the book I will purchase it from the writers as they do a nice DVD/members website too.

pogle

Head Pro
Visit site
He was discussing the concept of laying up to preferred yardages rather than trying to get closer. Suggests that the closer you are the better your score will be. Uses the analogy of relief from a sprinkler head (soz for the earlier typo - damn spell check :)).

If you had the option of relief say, 30 yards from the green, how many would think about pacing back to 75 yards as thats their "preferred yardage" with a wedge.

Suppose he is rubbishing the suggestion that full shots from further out are easier than half shots closer. I subscribe to this view - I would always take being closer to the hole.

Which makes absolutely no sense as when taking relief from a sprinkler head or such like, the player doesn't have the option of going back as far as they wish. I can only assume he means when dropping under penalty, when it's often an available option.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
This thread is a bit old, but no sense in opening a new one.
Does anyone have this and want to move it on? Even a few years on there is no e-book version, and posting from the US is prohibitively expensive from their shop.
Just name your price!!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Looked online and seems way too expensive for me. I'm out. I am sure a bit like the Rotella books it has some nuggets but covered in a layer of fluff and most is simply common sense when you sit down and analyse it.