Low/High Spin Shafts

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I read a lot of posts here where people talk about high-spin and low-spin shafts.

As a golfer who pays little attention to shafts, why and how will one shaft be low spinning and another high spinning?

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Pretty simple crow, it’s all down to the aggression in which the club is thrown.

Little aggression - low spin
Mental breakdown - high spin

Under arm can’t be bothered toss - low launch
Had enough quitting the game over arm outbursts - high launch.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
It will be to do with the stiffness of the tip section.
A softer tip will allow the head to deflect forward more causing more dynamic loft and, hence, more spin.
A stiffer tip doesn't deflect as much so doesn't add as much loft so spins less.
As with flex, high spin/low spin is only of any use when you compare shafts of the same model.
One company's high spin shaft could spin less than another company's low spin shaft....same as high/low launch.....

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
It will be to do with the stiffness of the tip section.
A softer tip will allow the head to deflect forward more causing more dynamic loft and, hence, more spin.
A stiffer tip doesn't deflect as much so doesn't add as much loft so spins less.
As with flex, high spin/low spin is only of any use when you compare shafts of the same model.
One company's high spin shaft could spin less than another company's low spin shaft....same as high/low launch.....

That reads to me as though the shaft doesn't impart any spin then, just the club loft as presented to the ball?
In which case you might just as well change the loft on the club head? (assuming adjustable driver)

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
That reads to me as though the shaft doesn't impart any spin then, just the club loft as presented to the ball?
In which case you might just as well change the loft on the club head? (assuming adjustable driver)
The shaft is ,primarily, a timing mechanism designed to get the head back to the ball at the highest speed and at the correct angles.
Changing the loft of a club will likely have more effect on launch and spin than changing the shaft...and it's cheaper.

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
As a high spin/launch player I find the Biggest spin changes in the head/loft and strike location. You could give me the stiffest shaft known to man if I’m hitting it low in the face I will moon ball it, similarly I can hit a high spin/launch shaft low if I hit it high in the face off the toe.

Bend profiles also come into affect I’ve played some low launch/low spin shafts that haven’t had a suitable bend profile for me and i can launch/spin them more than desired mainly due to strike location. This is why we must get fit as people need different input from a shaft. For instance some people may reduce their spin with a shaft that kicks more at impact as it could change their angle of attack from negative to positive however for others that are already hitting up it’s just going to add additional dynamic loft launch and spin.

However using anything I can to help even knock off a few hundred rpm spin the following helps.

- Tip stiff shafts and mid sections ‘can’ help prevent the kick adding dynamic loft and spin on impact. I personally have my shafts tipped as well to further stiffen the tip section. I like a boardy shaft as my strike location is better as a result as well and I find the middle of the face more consistently.

- shaft weight can help keep spin in
check I currently opt for 80g in my
driver, I use 130g C taper X flex in
my irons. Both on the heavier side
however it doesn’t affect my swing speed massively as a result but does help to mitigate some launch/spin as my swing is more in control and again I’m finding the part of the face I want.

- it’s not just the tip either, I find any shaft that has a soft mid section I can spin up more than something with a firm tip and midsection as my strike pattern goes everywhere.

- flex similar affect to kick point really depending on bend profile.The more the shaft flexes forward at impact the more dynamic loft there will be in turn higher launch and higher spin.

The shaft choice can certainly help but it’s just one piece of a bigger puzzle if the shaft is in the wrong head for you it’s only going to make a few hundred RPM difference and you could be 1500/2000rpm spin from what is optimal.

I’ve bought some crazy shafts I currently play a TX Hulk Shaft that is tipped. It doesn’t make it impossible for me to launch/spin higher than I’d like. However when I’m swinging right and hitting the face where I should be it’s the perfect shaft for me and optimises my launch conditions.

No low spin/launch shaft will fix someone that has a launch/spin issue.

Last edited:

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I’ve got an Ozik Matrix White Tie 5x3 in my driver, which claims to be high launch, low spin.

Any idea what it is about the shaft that gives it those characteristics?

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If I’m correct which is often wrong, high launch means the shaft is designed with a lower kick point, regarding the lower spin I think that’s where it’s tipped but I stand to be corrected on this.

I only know my own specs, the above is from memory based on conversations with fitters and others in the know although I try not to get stuck in the construction side of things

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
I’ve got an Ozik Matrix White Tie 5x3 in my driver, which claims to be high launch, low spin.

Any idea what it is about the shaft that gives it those characteristics?

The White Tie has a Soft butt section with a firmer mid section and tip. ‘Achieves’ higher launch and somewhat lower spin. Nothing crazy in terms of firmness in the mid and tip section however just ‘firmer’ than average.

The black tie for instance which is the low launch and spin option has a firm butt section. The mid and tip are a touch stouter and it’s all round much lower launch and lower spin as a result.

The butt section is what is driving the difference in launch characteristics however.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
The White Tie has a Soft butt section with a firmer mid section and tip. ‘Achieves’ higher launch and somewhat lower spin. Nothing crazy in terms of firmness in the mid and tip section however just ‘firmer’ than average.

The black tie for instance which is the low launch and spin option has a firm butt section. The mid and tip are a touch stouter and it’s all round much lower launch and lower spin as a result.

The butt section is what is driving the difference in launch characteristics however.
For all the design characteristics, real world testing by individual golfers show results are not always predictable - in fact, can be counter to predictions, from those specs. Here's a MyGolfSpy article that demonstrates....https://mygolfspy.com/matrix-mfs5-black-tie-red-tie-white-tie-golf-shafts/
And FWIW, Apart from a few months with a Diamana Blue - in a Nike SQ (god that was loud!) - and a bit longer with the 'upgrade' Aldila Serrano shaft in a Ping G15, I've used Matrix shafts for almost 20 years - including their showpiece TP7 that went in more heads than I care to (or very likely CAN) remember!
To me, it's the feel that's most important - and the Code (and RUL) series suit me fine.

Last edited:

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site

It is more the rate of change of the loft than the loft itself. Like the difference between a stiff waisted slap and flick. And the closer to the tip that the flexing occurs, i.e. the shorter the radius, the more circular the action is.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
It is more the rate of change of the loft than the loft itself. Like the difference between a stiff waisted slap and flick. And the closer to the tip that the flexing occurs, i.e. the shorter the radius, the more circular the action is.

And I thought Britishshooting's reply was confusing...

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
And I thought Britishshooting's reply was confusing...

If you swing a weight on a short string, it describes a more circular arc than one on a long string. The kick point of the shaft is like the point where you hold the string. Low kick point therefore hits it higher than high kick point. That affects spin too.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
If you swing a weight on a short string, it describes a more circular arc than one on a long string. The kick point of the shaft is like the point where you hold the string. Low kick point therefore hits it higher than high kick point. That affects spin too.

Isn't that just presented loft though?

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
Ball only sees loft, face direction (which could be considered one thing...), speed and path. The presumption is the shaft has an effect on one or more of those.