Lost it!! What to do after a really terrible day.

steadyon

Hacker
Visit site
So, I’ve been playing pretty well. Even go a 79 just over a week ago! I ply of 19.6 though.

Friday went out, played really well. Didn‘t score though, the odd times I hit a bad in I seemed to fing a cabbage patch and got too ambitious in the rough.

Saturday, dreadful, topped sliced, toed. Remarkably often my second shot was great but when it’s 3 off the tee every other hole And you can’t find 5he middle of the bat…

to the range for 50 balls Sunday, again the odd real terror and generally poor striking.

Just thinking what to do to get my swing back.

Tips for escaping thick rough be useful too!!

D

Deleted member 25575

On the thick stuff, dont be too ambitious, just get it out sideways if needed, get it back in play in 1 shot. Dont try the hero shot and leave yourself in the thick stuff.

As for getting yoir game back in shape, back to basics of your swing, dont try and hit too hard etc

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Frustrating given its the start of the season but you've hit a lot of balls over the weekend so maybe just avoid golf for the rest of the week. I sometimes find a break is what I need to reset my swing.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
The first thing is don't panic, you haven't forgotten how to swing, you just need the right tweak.
If the contact has gone, I'd make a small wager you are swaying.
Just try a few smooth swings and focus on keeping your head still

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Don't over think it.

Even pros have good days and bad days in quick succession. The worst thing you could do I think is panic and start thinking you need to do something drastically different. Don't try too hard to find something.

I had a 12 shot swing between my last two rounds, felt like I could do no wrong one week, felt I could do no right the next. There was nothing consistently good about my play - everything was a mixed bag!

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Welcome to the most frustrating game ever invented. I’ve been playing for longer than I care to remember and I can still have days where nothing goes right. Low 70s one day followed by a 15 shot swing the next day. Golf is bonkers.

When my swing goes really off I try to slow down my tempo. I do this by trying to hit my 150 yard club about 120 yards when on the range.

RichA

Visit site
So, I’ve been playing pretty well. Even go a 79 just over a week ago! I ply of 19.6 though.

Friday went out, played really well. Didn‘t score though, the odd times I hit a bad in I seemed to fing a cabbage patch and got too ambitious in the rough.

Saturday, dreadful, topped sliced, toed. Remarkably often my second shot was great but when it’s 3 off the tee every other hole And you can’t find 5he middle of the bat…

to the range for 50 balls Sunday, again the odd real terror and generally poor striking.

Just thinking what to do to get my swing back.

Tips for escaping thick rough be useful too!!
I'm having a torrid time recently after a decent summer. I think I've fallen into the trap of thinking that I'm better than I am - always trying to hit the longest drive or get it onto the green from 220 yards when the sensible play is to take 2 shots.
This afternoon I'll be heading out for a chilled out, non-scoring round with a half set and trying to force myself to just concentrate on tapping the ball safely up the fairways without trying too hard.
I know that when it comes down to it, the inner voice will be saying, "Go for it man. It's just a practice round."

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Hitting out of thick rough…. take less club than your heart tells you to - your only job is to get back in play, don’t be greedy.

Play the ball back in your stance, open the face a tiny bit, grip hard, hit down on the ball steeply and don’t expect much of a follow through.

IMO of course.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If you think the rough is thick now ....

Swing easy. You have 20 shots to play with. Go after the holes you can. Play conservatively on the tricky holes.