Looking in front of the ball

samsee

Hacker
Visit site
Hi.

Was at the range today practicing my short game. After hitting some topped shots i started experimenting with moving where i am looking during my swing. I found if i look a few inches infront of the ball i was getting the ball to pop up nicely with my wedges with the exception of a half swing to produce a short pitch. That was still topped :(

When I'm using my driver I tend to focus a few inches behind the ball and get a good straight /fade on the ball. I'm going to try the looking in front of the ball with my irons and hybrids. Has anyone else tried this with any luck?

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
This is funny as I'm currently trying to compress more, if I look at the ball I catch it pretty clean but if I look just infront I get a nice ball turf compression

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
my pro over a year ago had me doing this, he was into the Bobby Clampett impact zone style coaching. It did work when I did it but typical me fashion I soon went back to my crappy swing like a whirling dirvish and top/fat every other shot.

Basically had me trying to hit 2 inches after the ball but without reaching for it. draw a line in a bunker and practice it or on some turf. three swings then hit a ball off the line doing the same technique... its amazing how easy it is to do until you put a ball there!

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Another good drill at the range is to place another ball around four inches infront of the ball you hit and try to hit both balls. You can take this feel to the course. I also like the image of a nail tacked into the back of the ball just above it's equator. When you make a swing imagine you are knocking the nail through the ball.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
This is funny as I'm currently trying to compress more, if I look at the ball I catch it pretty clean but if I look just infront I get a nice ball turf compression

Just remember that 'compression' is only a thought. It'h hitting with a descending blow that is the key - for irons.

mab

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I do this quite often.

It also helps to prevent me from hooking the ball, almost as though it stops the clubhead from releasing too early.

samsee

Hacker
Visit site
Ok... So just came back from the range.

Lets start where i left off yesterday...
All clubs looking in front of the ball

Wedges: still popping up nicely. Stopping more or less dead and on target
Irons: good flight off the ground, slight increase in distance... Happy days!
Hybrid: a club i have been strugling with, now flys straight, good height and distance. Much better than before!

Overall id say this technique works for me on the practice matts. Will it work on grass? This is what i hope to find out next week

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Certainly possible.

Certainly not desirable.

Not something I would envisage using as a golf shot.

Should this post be in the 'Is it You?' thread?

OK, what club can you do this with and what angle of shaft lean does it require?

With a 9 iron it would require around 170 deg of forward shaft lean.
A three wood around 135 deg.

The only realistic way to do this is to top it into the ground.

I challenge anyone to show me a picture of them striking a ball into level turf with an iron such that they can make a proper stroke at the ball.