Looking for your help before 7pm this evening...

DaveyG

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Quick bit of help guys...

I have decided to celebrate christmas early and treat myself to new clubs... Going to a popular golf store this evening to get sorted.

I play off 22 but feel I am hitting the ball far more consistantly now and can play bogey golf. Entering first comp so we will see if that handicap falls...

Basically I am going with an open mind(kind of) and want advice based on your experience with the clubs that are around at the moment.

I am likely to try these below...

Burner 2.0
Callaway RAZR X
Rbz
Ping G15
Cobra S3

I don't know why but I am in love with the Burner 2.0... have really researched these and if I hit them the same as the best results I will definitely purchase them...

At this stage though I would love any recomendations as to which of these you think are the best club... I really like the fact that a few of these are aimed at all levels as I am going to work hard at my golf and try to go as low as possible.

Any tips on squeezing any discounts/deals out of the place would be great too.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Research the models on the 'net for best price then ask the retailer will they price match. Simples

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
First of all - try everything tonight but don't feel you need to buy anything. Youre under no obligation. I suppose you want new shineys before the comp. Trust me, there will be many, many more comps, this is a big decision and you shouldnt rush into it or feel pressured into buying now (either by a salesman or the fact theres a comp coming up).

Does the store have a range where you will see the ball in flight? Or just a trackman type monitor. I'd say try to go somewhere with a range.

Out of the list I've only tried the G15s. I got fit for these at Gainsborough (fantastic service) when off a similar number to you. They are great game-improvement irons, I'm down to 12 now and still dont feel like Ive outgrown them. Buy once, buy well.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
If you really must, the burner 2.0s arent terrible clubs. Usual ignored advice still applies, you could be better spending some of the money on lessons.

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
Burners are great clubs and some deals should be about as they are now an old model replaced by rbz, I had them last year.

£249 @ onlinegolf

DaveyG

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Cheers for quick responses guys... appriciated.

I am having lessons and the current clubs have served me well... they probably would get me lower too but Im a big lad. (6ft 6) and want the clubs to be fitted to me... I also need new grips that are alot bigger and ofcourse tacky... I have looked into doing this but cant justify paying the costs. (yes I know I could do it but as I say I am 6ft6... I nearly rip doors off when I open them so messing around with abit of rubber will end in a badway)

A

Alex1975

How much do you want to spend? what do you like in an iron? any idea of what shafts you like or what you like in a shaft?

Best advice, fools rush in....

DaveyG

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Yes it has both Curls so if I hit the SW off the back of the range according to the monitor I will give it ago on the range before I purchase.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
A gal here BUT :) I tried the Burner and G15 (just pre G20 release so waited for them to come out). Tried them both on the launch monitor and not a heap between them but loved the look of the Burner and not keen on the clunky looking Ping (never had been). My coach felt the Pings gave me what I needed in terms of forgiveness but I liked the looks of the Burner still. So I took a demo 7 iron of both out on the course for 3 rounds of golf and used them at every opportunity. Sometime during the 2nd round I took out the Burner and hit it well and then the Ping and suddenly it just looked so much easier to hit and I felt really confident looking down at it (had got used to the looks by now). Carried on playing both but the Ping had won my heart and substance over style won the day for me.

D

Deleted Member 1156

I think you've already got the most important bit sorted....going with an open mind. There are lots of great clubs out there that you've not mentioned but may be worth considering such as Adams, Cleveland, Benross, John Letters, Wilson etc.

I'm not the biggest fan of trackmans as I believe they can be 'tweaked' to provide impressive results but as you will be trying loads of clubs side by side, it doesn't really matter. TM clubs are notorious for being longer, often due to longer shafts and stronger lofts.

Enjoy testing and spend wisely :)

DaveyG

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
How much do you want to spend? what do you like in an iron? any idea of what shafts you like or what you like in a shaft?

Best advice, fools rush in....

I cant answer about shafts as I don't know what my swing speed is and have never had a session like this... the guy in the shop is ofcourse a salesman but he is good and is highly recommended by guys who do know their stuff.

I like forgiving irons which are aimed at all ranges like the Burner, RBZ etc. My swing is far more repeatable now so its time I can justify having a fitting.

I think the important thing is definitely not to just walk in there and hand over my card... Its hard because I am impulsive but will walk if I am not happy... I will need to stick with these Irons for a good number of years (3 atleast)

I have been looking at a fit for a year and held off purely because I didn't think it would help if I couldn't get the basics right.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
6ft6... I nearly rip doors off when I open them

Note to forum, be nice to this one.

Like I say be sure, it was around this time of the year I desperately wanted new clubs, but couldn't get a suitable date for fitting at Ping for a few months! I got the club pro to regrip my old clubs which gave them a little bit more life, he did it for a song (Danny boy I think) and in the spring I got my new shineys and havent regretted it a moment.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
how about the new TM RocketBlades? due out in a few weeks... look interesting to me!

I use burner 2.0's you wont go wrong with them, but they are last years model if that bothers you about having the latest kit...

Essex_Stu

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Have tried all except the Callaways. The Burner/S3 and RBZ are nearly all exactly the same club but with different graphics. The Rbz long irons are different to the Burners and are more driving iron/hybrid to look at and are very easy to hit. The finish will wear on the Burners/S3 as its black but not badly. Mine are a year old and really dont look to bad. The only thing I feel the G15 beats the burners on is forgivness. I didnt like the way that every shot felt the same no matter how I hit it. Didnt particularly like the feel off the face either and they look like shovels. Still hugely loved on here though and everywhere else. Try them all and also give the Cleveland CG16, Mizuno JPX800/825, Titleist AP1 and even the Callaway X22 a try.

Andy

Tour Winner
Visit site
Sounds to me that you have money burning a hole in your pocket. If I guess right also your off to AG?

I wouldn't trust their Trackman for any money. Go and have a whack tonight but leave the cards in the house. Get yourself an independent fitter or narrow your choice down after tonight's trial and get fitted by said manufacturer.

JT77

Tour Winner
Visit site
I would agree with what you said, go with an open mind, dont go straight for the burner irons though, try a few of the others first as you may get good results, and if you went straight to the burners and hit them well, it may mask your opinion of the others.
The burners are decent though i know a couple fellas at our place who use them to good effect.

Pippo_T

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'd follow Andy's advice, the AG/DG stores give OK service but won't sell or suggest anything that isn't on their shelf that you can't walk out with there and then, even if the better option is something else.

To be honest if you're 6ft 6" you would be better off getting trying some tonight for what feels best, and then find a full approved fitter to get the right spec for you because at your height you will almost certainly need a longer length shaft and lie angle adjustment. Most standard sets are built for people in the 5ft 9" to 6ft average height range, they're not going to peform anywhere near optimal at your height!!

Andy808

Tour Winner
Visit site
I tried the Callaways at a demo day and loved them. Shame I didn't have the money for a set or I would have bought them. Tried out the Razr fit driver too and that was a superb club for me also. I will have one of them for next season!