Long iron with help recommendations

• Thread starter Deleted member 18121
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 18121

I've tried and tried for the last year but I just don't like hybrids. So I'm looking at a going back to 3&4 irons... But hopefully with some "help" element to them to give as much forgiveness as possible.

My main Irons are Titleist AP3.

What does anyone recommend?

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Seriously, sort out the problem with the hybrids, and stick with the hybrids. If you dont like them, irons are not going to help matters. How are you with a 5 or 7 wood ?

D

Deleted member 18121

Seriously, sort out the problem with the hybrids, and stick with the hybrids. If you dont like them, irons are not going to help matters. How are you with a 5 or 7 wood ?

I don't use woods, never got on with them. Driver and 2 hybrid are fine, then 5 iron + are all good. Just the 3&4 hybrids I don't like and want to go back to irons. Handicap is 7.2.

Jason.H

Visit site
I’ve a 22 and 25 degree hybrids and love the ease of use. Great off the tee, fairway and rough. A friend playing off 5 bought a driving iron and really struggled with it.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I dropped my 4 and 5 iron for the equivalent hybrids and the best set up decision I made. Hybrids are simply more versatile and easier to hit than long irons for most handicap golfers. Saying you don't like woods or get on with hybrids seems a cop out. Sort the problem out at source and give yourself the most options

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I don't use woods, never got on with them. Driver and 2 hybrid are fine, then 5 iron + are all good. Just the 3&4 hybrids I don't like and want to go back to irons. Handicap is 7.2.
I wouldn't tell someone with a handicap far superior to my own what to do.
But if it was me in this situation I would go somewhere where you can test a variety of options and see what suits you best.
I wouldn't write off lofted woods or hybrids on previous experience, design improves and at most levels including professional they are increasingly used.
But if irons suit how you see the shot maybe it's your idiosyncrasies I would though do some side by side comparisons.
If you don't already know what irons suit you it's maybe a feeling you have rather than something that is certain.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
If youre looking for "help" then any of the iron-like hybrids should do the trick.
Things like the Ping Crossover or Mizuno Fli-Hi are, basically, irons with chunkier soles, a bit more offset and positioned weight in the head to help get the ball in the air...
Or seek out game improvement long irons like Apex DCB or Mizuno HM 3 and 4 irons..

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Check out Adams dhy super proto. They are iron like hybrids. Probably the last great club Adam's made before being bought over by taylormade.

They are aimed at low to mid handicaps. I use a 16 degree one as a driving iron. Weapon when it's on song.

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If you have AP3, stick with them and get the equivalents.

alternatively, see if you can pick up some T-MB 3 and 4 (but you’ll need to check lofts).

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Never been a huge hybrid fan, have 3 and 4 iron that match my iron set. Might be worth finding a decent fitter to see if they can find something that suits they eye / works

Whats the badshot with they hybrid or a visual thing

G1z1

Visit site
I have the ping crossover 2 iron never really use it but a guy a play with who is single figures uses it now and again and he says it’s so easy to hit. I’m 50/50 with it so don’t use it much

D

Deleted member 18121

I wouldn't tell someone with a handicap far superior to my own what to do.
But if it was me in this situation I would go somewhere where you can test a variety of options and see what suits you best.
I wouldn't write off lofted woods or hybrids on previous experience, design improves and at most levels including professional they are increasingly used.
But if irons suit how you see the shot maybe it's your idiosyncrasies I would though do some side by side comparisons.
If you don't already know what irons suit you it's maybe a feeling you have rather than something that is certain.

I've toyed with 3/4/5 woods over the years and they are always short lived. This time I've given the 3 and 4 hybrids a good 10 months and played lots of rounds with them... And I just don't love them. I want to because they're supposed to do XYZ .... But for me they just don't. I just prefer irons.

Thanks for the other recommendations chaps, will take a look and see what's about .

D

Deleted member 18121

Never been a huge hybrid fan, have 3 and 4 iron that match my iron set. Might be worth finding a decent fitter to see if they can find something that suits they eye / works

Whats the badshot with they hybrid or a visual thing

Ditto. During covid I thought I lost some speed and binned the 3&4 iron in favour of the hybrids as they weren't going so well. They are easy to launch etc but I just prefer the workability of an iron.

The bad shot with them is a weak thin or slight push... Nothing round destroying, but not what I want when I'm knocking on door of CAT 1 with a few solid rounds.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Ditto. During covid I thought I lost some speed and binned the 3&4 iron in favour of the hybrids as they weren't going so well. They are easy to launch etc but I just prefer the workability of an iron.

The bad shot with them is a weak thin or slight push... Nothing round destroying, but not what I want when I'm knocking on door of CAT 1 with a few solid rounds.

Sounds like not overly committed to them, if it was me id get a 4 iron to match and then see if I still had a gap / need after that. Not everything suits everyone. Good luck