Long bunker shot

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Mainly out of a fairway bunkers where you need to be hiiting the ball 100+ yards to a green.

Do you play the shot as if on the fairway and let the loft of the club get it over the lip. Using the same club you would on the fairway and a ball first strike?

Or

Do you try and take sand and ball together, for additional height, and club up?

Any thoughts appreciated :thup:

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Personally, I try to play it like a normal shot except that I try to be a bit steeper on it to make sure I don't get any sand before the ball.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
2 things I do:-

1. Take at least one extra club anyway, in case you get a bit of sand, but I try to nip it off the surface.

2. Stand on top of the sand as if on a fairway, dont wiggle your feet into the sand the way you do on a green side bunker.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
IMO you have to take in to account factors like the lie of the ball, the height of the bunker to clear and the sand itself (hard compact/soft fluffy) and make a shot choice based on that.
For the most part I would want to try and get as far up as possible but not at the risk of causing myself further problems if the lip is high or the sand is really soft (or a combination of both) then I would just play safe and focus on just getting myself out.

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
The first thing is to make sure you get out of the bunker. So chose a club that will clear the lip, even if it will not reach the green. IMO you should work you feet into the sand, for a firm base. Then grip down the club the same amount as your feet have sunk into the sand. Then play your normal shot, But try and pick it clean off the surface. Think smooth, don't force it, trust your swing and the loft of the club to get you out.

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
Treat it the same as a fairway shot for me. It does depend on where your ball is in the bunker though.
My one thing in the bunker is to make sure I keep my head down. The urge to look for the ball early is strong.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
The main thing is to play it with confidence. Take enough loft to make sure you clear the lip easily so if you do not quite catch it right it will still come out. How I play long bunker shots is to aim slightly left of target to play a soft fade and play it back in my stance to make sure I get the ball first.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I gather from reading the OP that there's not an issue with the lip of the bunker, you're asking about how to hit the shot?
I like to see players select one more club, grip down an inch or so and get a firm footing in the bunker.
And if it's a medium to short iron, definitely take a sand/divot.
Bear in mind, this shot will more than likely have a lot of spin if played correctly, so take that into consideration when you select your club.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Bob,

do you agree that this is a situation that really isn't practiced enough? IMO the practice facilities at most clubs don't cater for it and people rarely spend time on it when out alone on the course.

having confidence to play the short iron should be simple - it's at the opposite end of the scale from playing of a baked bare lie - but lack of any practice leaves questions in the head.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
As you can see above, too many people try to pick it off the top and the result is often a thin, straight into the face of the bunker.
Gary got it right in my opinion, maybe back in the stance a touch and hit down on it.
As far as practicing this shot is concerned, the best place is on the course, just don't say I said so if you get caught by an irate greenkeeper

Brian321

Hacker
Visit site
As you can see above, too many people try to pick it off the top and the result is often a thin, straight into the face of the bunker.
Gary got it right in my opinion, maybe back in the stance a touch and hit down on it.
As far as practicing this shot is concerned, the best place is on the course, just don't say I said so if you get caught by an irate greenkeeper

Had just the nightmare scenario you speak of on Tuesday. Playing matchplay, drove into a bunker 100yds out, maybe 4m from lip which was only moderately high. Tried to use a gap wedge and caught lip and fell back in. Tried the same shot again and buried it at lip and had to take an unplayable. Surprise surprise, I lost the hole (but won the match) even though person who I was playing was in same bunker but having taken one extra shot - stupid or what!

So Bob - you recommend ball back in stance to get a steeper decent on the ball to compress it against sand and that should pop it out of bunker, albeit with possibly shorter distance that equiavelnt shot from fairway lie (hence the club up) yeah?

SGC001

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I've sure I've seen Seve demonstrating this kind of shot on T.V at some time playing a normalish bunker shot (aim left take some sand first) with something like a 7 iron with the idea of playing a big slice. If you get this slightly wrong it tends not to be as penal as some other methods.

Having said that I tend to do what bobmac suggests for this kind of shot. Edit: 8-9-W. If the shot requires a longer club than that I may play it a little differently. A lot of faders on tour tend to be good long bunker players (they're all good).

Last edited: