Local Rule?

Whereditgo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What in your opinion is the determining factor for a Local Rule actually to exist?

As most clubs we have a number printed on the back of the scorecard and inthe fixtures handbook and occasionally an additional one, such as pick and place on the notice board. But are these the defining places?

A quick search through the Rules of Golf seems to leave some ambiguity - as in the phrase "should be displayed".

Stub

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Agree with pbrown, permanent local rules should be on scorecard and temporary local rules on the locker room notice board.

6inchcup

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
we have a notice board placed adjacent to the first tee letting us know of any temp rules or any work being done on the course i.e fertiliser being used or temp greens.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
this is a good question, and one that has me in two minds; the one thing I would say is that they should never be in a diary or similar, because you effectively loose control of them!

the card is of course produced in large numbers, and at significant cost, so changes to what's on there are to be avoided. Equally it can confuse people if you have rules on there that mey, or may not, actually be in play - such as those associated with winter conditions.

having one single master place for the LR's seems to make sense, until you recognise that not everybody 'treads the same path' when playing; and that as you want people to see them, being able after the event/issue, to point to them on a board the player never saw isn't very clever.

As a result we maintain any temporary LRs or those waiting for a card reprint, in 3 places, including the 1st tee, plus the card itself.