Lob wedge in a bunker

PuttPuttSteve

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If I can hit a full shot from a bunker, I'll use whatever club will give me the required distance (up to 3-wood), but if I have to splash the ball out I've always used a sand wedge and opened the face to get whatever height I need. Recently, I thought I'd try a lob wedge. Definitely not a good choice as the ball moved about a foot and stayed in the bunker.

As it was just a late-evening practice round I chucked a few balls into the bunker and tried to get them out with the lob wedge, just in case it was poor technique first time around.

The only way I could get the ball out was to catch it cleanly - not the easiest shot, so in future I'll stick to the sand wedge.

Are any of you using lob wedges in bunkers?

robert.redmile

Assistant Pro
Visit site
same issue as you!

The bounce on the sand wedge is designed to help the club glide through the sand, whereas as lob wedge will "stick" in the sand.

I never use my 60 degree any more in bunkers - UNLESS I am short sided and I want to move the ball about a yard out the bunker!

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
If I can hit a full shot from a bunker, I'll use whatever club will give me the required distance (up to 3-wood), but if I have to splash the ball out I've always used a sand wedge and opened the face to get whatever height I need. Recently, I thought I'd try a lob wedge. Definitely not a good choice as the ball moved about a foot and stayed in the bunker.

As it was just a late-evening practice round I chucked a few balls into the bunker and tried to get them out with the lob wedge, just in case it was poor technique first time around.

The only way I could get the ball out was to catch it cleanly - not the easiest shot, so in future I'll stick to the sand wedge.

My lob wedge is my bunker club, not a sand wedge. But I have a high bounce lob wedge with a wide sole and it was bought specifically to be a bunker club.

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yep i regularly use lob wedge in green side bunkers , dont go as steep and what ever ya do , make sure you accelerate thru the ball , great for up & down if ya short side yourself..
Should work on all bunkers ya cant get full shot from

Im the opposite to ruff-driver tho, if i need to advance it a bit out of a steep bunker il lie open the 58* wedge and cut across the ball rather than close it

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yep i regularly use lob wedge in green side bunkers , dont go as steep and what ever ya do , make sure you accelerate thru the ball , great for up & down if ya short side yourself..
Should work on all bunkers ya cant get full shot from

Im the opposite to ruff-driver tho, if i need to advance it a bit out of a steep bunker il lie open the 58* wedge and cut across the ball rather than close it

so much depends on the reason for using the LW in the first place - as well as the sole and bounce.

low bounce LW is perfect for firm based bunkers - 15mm over compacted sand or clay as an example. here opening the face will add bounce which is not what you want.

on the other hand, deep fine dry sand, or deep soft fluffy, and you want the bounce - whether as specified or by opening a low bounce club to add it.

all of course related to bunker shots rather than playing shots cleanly from a bunker!

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
looking at your course and some of the bunker is the photo's you should have no problem getting out of this type parkland bunker with a standard SW (54/56)

On the other hand you do find some pot bunkers that you could only get out with a 60 deg, we have two and with them its a case of out sideways without one.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I'm another that opens the face up, way more than most I play with.

My mate was struggling out of bunkers at the weekend and I said to open the face. He opened it about enough to play a 10yd fade, whereas I open it so much I could almost balance a golf ball on it.

Lay the club almost flat, aim your feet 20-30° left, ball level with left foot, hands back, and slap the bottom of the club (not the leading edge) into the sand behind the ball.

Might not be the way it's taught, but it's what I do.

PuttPuttSteve

Assistant Pro
Visit site
looking at your course and some of the bunker is the photo's you should have no problem getting out of this type parkland bunker with a standard SW (54/56)

On the other hand you do find some pot bunkers that you could only get out with a 60 deg, we have two and with them its a case of out sideways without one.

RWGC have modified some of the bunkers and introduced revetted faces, so they can be quite challenging!

ruff-driver

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That's tonight's practise session sorted, then. :D

DL1205_3_x_5_Invoice_Enclosed_(Fluorescent_Yellow)_Labels.jpg

:rofl:

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I find it amazing that it hadn't occurred to you to try it before?

Many people use a lob in the bunker as their sole bunker club as it's so easy to give it a good smack and because it's so lofted it just pops it put high rather than long.

My mate has a 64 in the bag and only uses it in a bunker.

alexbrownmp

Head Pro
Visit site

not only a lob wedge but with the correct technique you can splash any iron out, even a 2 or 3 iron. Sounds like you need to work on your technique

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm another that opens the face up, way more than most I play with.

My mate was struggling out of bunkers at the weekend and I said to open the face. He opened it about enough to play a 10yd fade, whereas I open it so much I could almost balance a golf ball on it.

Lay the club almost flat, aim your feet 20-30° left, ball level with left foot, hands back, and slap the bottom of the club (not the leading edge) into the sand behind the ball.

Might not be the way it's taught, but it's what I do.

Pretty much my recent bunker lesson, the only thing I did wrong was I had lots of body turn, the pro instead taught me to slide forward, hips square to my swing path even after impact. Really interesting but felt totally weird, seemed to work though.

Jheather

Visit site
Good post robert.redmile I understand the angle your coming from robert I use the Dunlop 10.5 tour red myself (with the chrome handle though). I really do get where your coming from rob tho I use the 3 wood on occasion but mostly on the putting green. Where do you play rob mate I really admire your bottle we'll have to hit the course together

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Kind of depends how much sand is in it. If there isn't much, it's 58' wedge as the 56 has too much bounce. If there's a lot of sand, bounce is your friend.

JohnnyDee

Tour Winner
Visit site
I spent 2 years using my 60* Vokey Wedge in bunkers and have to say I did OK with it.

However 3 years ago started using my Callaway Diablo SW and got better results and after getting fitted for X2 Hots last Autumn I use the SW and am very happy.