Litter

Norrin Radd

Tour Winner
Visit site
Now that maccy Dee's and the like are opening up for drive thrus the litter problem will go through the roof .
Soooooooo I propose that every car that hits the drive thru has its registration plate written on the bag ,that way it might stop a few brain dead twats to take it home or bin it properly
Wouldn't take much for the law enforcement to trace the culprits .
Just a thought .

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Now that maccy Dee's and the like are opening up for drive thrus the litter problem will go through the roof .
Soooooooo I propose that every car that hits the drive thru has its registration plate written on the bag ,that way it might stop a few brain dead teats to take it home or bin it properly
Wouldn't take much for the law enforcement to trace the culprits .
Just a thought .
a good idea,its poor here in places, went throgh the local rugby club car park walking the dog, must be a fav place for herberts to scoff MacD, loads of it dumped in the car park.. about 10 ft from 3 bins... not to forget the dirty nappies left by the side of the road near the local park.

trouble is no one to enforce the littering laws

D

Deleted member 15344

So you tbink the already stretched police force to go through rubbish on the floor to look for a license plate

And what’s to stop someone just ripping that bit off or putting a pen through to make unreadable ?

Anytime I go to a drive through I see the litter is all over the floor by the bins because the staff don’t empty it enough

But there are bigger issues in regards “litter” in the form of fly tipping to look at

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The sides of urban roads and Motorways are a disgrace. There may not be enough Police to chase people that create it but anyone caught needs to be punished to make examples. Community Service cleaning up road verges is a good way as it hits the wealthy in the same way as anyone else.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
hardly a new proposal, already happens in some places, sadly has little effect. the quay down here on a weekend morning is covered in takeaway rubbish, the police dont have time to do anything about it despite some doing as you propose

in 1 weekend recently the lovely people we share this planet with deposited 20 tonnes of rubbish on bournemouths beaches

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Totally unenforcable. We've got a car park near the local mac d that I used to park up in while waiting for a job. People put rubbish in the bins, crows and seagulls come along and pull the rubbish back out of the bins, rubbish gets blown all over the park.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Why do people think its OK to do it. I have never done it and I'm pretty sure none of my children did, I brought them up to respect the outdoors and they all seem to hold the same view with their children. If it's not possible to police the problem then do we just accept it or is it possible to educate children better on the matter.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Totally unenforcable. We've got a car park near the local mac d that I used to park up in while waiting for a job. People put rubbish in the bins, crows and seagulls come along and pull the rubbish back out of the bins, rubbish gets blown all over the park.
Then the bins are designed badly.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It’s not just fast food outlets that create issues. Our refuse collection must be in black plastic bags on the boundary of the property by 7am on the morning of collection. This just creates places for the foxes and cats to go to, and rip the bags open to get what’s attractive to them. The bin men collect the rubbish, but leave the spread debris there as they only collect bags. By the time the street cleaners have been round, all the rubbish has blown away to wherever it wants to go to (often my front garden).
Society needs to address the problem all along the chain.
Whilst fast food wrappings are annoying, just as bad it cigarette butts left on the greens or tees.
It’s all litter.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
The problem is phantom people! I mean, the litter is out there, but I bet you have never actually met anyone who admits to dropping litter? (In the same way that I bet you've never met a slow golfer or a bad driver). Phantom people, folks. They're to blame for everything.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
One of the main problems (IMO) is the short sightedness of the authority’s, be it police , council , etc. They cut jobs, restrict opening hours for tips, etc to save a few pounds and then moan about the increased cost in clearing litter and fly tipped junk. If they still had people to clear up the mess when it was just small amounts they wouldn’t need to clear up mass fly tipping. I seem to recall a tv article where they left a few bags of rubbish in an area and everybody just seemed to dump their rubbish there but when they kept it tidy the people respected the area and didn’t dump stuff

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
It's sheer laziness on people's behalf. Many's the time I've seen a bag of rubbish on the floor next to where a car was parked purely because they couldn't be bothered to get out of their car and walk the 5 or 10 yards to the bin.
Our club asked everyone to take their litter home with them and pick up their broken tees, and even removed the bins but some people are still putting their rubbish next to where the bins would normally be and leaving their broken tees on the teeing area :mad:. They carried the damned stuff that far so they must have space in the bag. Just sheer laziness.
There seems to be a mentality of what Douglas Adams called an SEP (Somebody Else's Problem). As soon as litter hits the floor, it's not their concern anymore. Let somebody else do it.

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
You would almost think that one particular national "newspaper" a few years ago started a campaign to deal with the litter problem. And then six months later, started castigating local authorities for fining members of the public for dropping pieces of litter.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The sides of urban roads and Motorways are a disgrace. There may not be enough Police to chase people that create it but anyone caught needs to be punished to make examples. Community Service cleaning up road verges is a good way as it hits the wealthy in the same way as anyone else.

Not really a police problem.

The council who have the job of clearing it up would probably use the information though.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I'm one of these weird people who picks up rubbish I see when I am out and put it in the nearest bin. Not all rubbish of course - just occasional litter. But if I see a bit of rubbish that annoys me, then if it is practical for me to do so I'll pick it up and stick it in the bin.

This came about from visiting Copenhagen, Oslo and Helsinki when I was on a Scottish Schools Cruise in the early 1970s (the SS Uganda for those of that era). Coming from a not very tidy (manky) Glasgow of the 1960s/70s, I couldn't believe how tidy these cities were - and I vowed there and then to never drop litter. And that is the case to this day. I can't really think of any litter I have knowingly dropped and not picked up in 50 yrs.

Bit bizarre sight really I suppose as I am oft found chasing a sweetie paper along the road - but I just do what I can. I can't do anything about how others think, and little about how they behave.

And I do it on the golf course. If I see any litter that has been dropped by another player I will curse - then pick it up and stick it in my bag until I can get rid of it.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I'm one of these weird people who picks up rubbish I see when I am out and put it in the nearest bin. Not all rubbish of course - just occasional litter. But if I see a bit of rubbish that annoys me, then if it is practical for me to do so I'll pick it up and stick it in the bin.

This came about from visiting Copenhagen, Oslo and Helsinki when I was on a Scottish Schools Cruise in the early 1970s (the SS Uganda for those of that era). Coming from a not very tidy (manky) Glasgow of the 1960s/70s, I couldn't believe how tidy these cities were - and I vowed there and then to never drop litter. And that is the case to this day. I can't really think of any litter I have knowingly dropped and not picked up in 50 yrs.

Bit bizarre sight really I suppose as I am oft found chasing a sweetie paper along the road - but I just do what I can. I can't do anything about how others think, and little about how they behave.

And I do it on the golf course. If I see any litter that has been dropped by another player I will curse - then pick it up and stick it in my bag until I can get rid of it.
Which is admirable but just what those lazy sods expect other people to do. SEP.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Which is admirable but just what those lazy sods expect other people to do. SEP.
Yes I know. But if I see litter that annoys me, then I can defuse my anger and irritation by doing something about it. If I just leave it there then I carry some aspect of that irritation with me. So I just deal with the litter as best I can - which might be nothing if it's significant - and I move on.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Not really a police problem.

The council who have the job of clearing it up would probably use the information though.
Dropping litter is a crime, I know someone who recently had a £100 fine for dropping a cigarette end and rightly so. As I said it's not possible for Police or anyone else to deal with this problem but anyone caught deserves punishment, as I said previously I would prefer them to do community service cleaning up road sides or parks. I know some schools have ran projects where children clean an area of countryside or woodland to help teach them about littering and also how ot affects wildlife.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Dropping litter is a crime, I know someone who recently had a £100 fine for dropping a cigarette end and rightly so. As I said it's not possible for Police or anyone else to deal with this problem but anyone caught deserves punishment, as I said previously I would prefer them to do community service cleaning up road sides or parks. I know some schools have ran projects where children clean an area of countryside or woodland to help teach them about littering and also how ot affects wildlife.

As far as I am aware Litter wardens are usually employed by the council and not by the Police a bit like parking enforcement officers rather than traffic wardens.