Links Golf

Matty2803

Head Pro
Visit site
Playing Links this week. Just wondering if i should make any changes to my bag (first time i've played inks in a year.)

Driver
3 Wood
19* and 22* Hybrid
4 Iron (Replacement for 5 iron as it broke yesterday and won't be fixed in time).
6 Iron
48*
52*
56*
60*
and Obviously putter

Available to me I have - 3 Iron (either 180 down the middle or topped 15 yards) PW (Iron Set) and also a 58* Wedge.
Any changes needed? I would take a hybrid out but I feel more confident hitting a low hybrid over a duff iron, but what do you think?

Also any other tips?

Thanks!

Matty2803

Head Pro
Visit site
Long irons will do you better in a wind, provided you can hit them:)

Thats the only problem, the hitting of them!!! Is it worth putting it in, (the 3 iron in and having it there, and hope that it will work out ok, I'll also get a hit with it at the range before hand so that can hopefully mean a bit of practice with the iron.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
No change needed.

Though some folk don't use a 60* on links. Others virtually only use one, so a definite Marmite club! Tight links fairways tend to favour low bounce wedges.

If you are not confident of the 3-iron, then you shouldn't even consider it!

Matty2803

Head Pro
Visit site
No change needed.

Though some folk don't use a 60* on links. Others virtually only use one, so a definite Marmite club! Tight links fairways tend to favour low bounce wedges.

If you are not confident of the 3-iron, then you shouldn't even consider it!

Ok, three iron is out!

Any other tips?

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
What type of course do you play on normally.
I play on parkland,generally its a soft course and the greens take a ball,now its gone
bone hard its more bounce it short and let it run on.
I play links once every 6 weeks and it is a totally different game.
You get lots more run on your drives so you might use less club allowing for 50 yards of roll.
Going into greens you will have to resort to dropping it short and letting it roll to the green.
If its windy you will need a knockdown shot.
Phil Michelson says take a extra club and cut off the follow through.
The greens will be a lot faster generally due to the wind drying them out.
Enjoy that's the main thing.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
drop the gap wedge. I am never taking my gap wedge onto another links. the concept of perfect distance gapping goes out the window on a fast running links.

you will see what I mean the first few holes when you go flag hunting and fly out the back.

throw the 3i in there. hit a few at the range. an oul thinned 3i is thee perfect shot into the wind. :fore:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Royal Aberdeen Junior Open!! So excited, especially after the Scottish Open being there the other week!

Top, top course Especially the front 9 or 10 - for me!

Don't try to 'beat' the wind by hitting harder - take a club (or 2) more and (when it's breezy) swing easy! 15 yards shorter and on the short stuff is much better than in the hay - or on the beach!

Matty2803

Head Pro
Visit site
Top, top course Especially the front 9 or 10 - for me!

Don't try to 'beat' the wind by hitting harder - take a club (or 2) more and (when it's breezy) swing easy! 15 yards shorter and on the short stuff is much better than in the hay - or on the beach!

Yeah, I presume short game will be how I make my pars. However I play, I shall enjoy the experience!

Albanach

Head Pro
Visit site
Ok, three iron is out!

Any other tips?

If you're a confident chipper then work away with anything from a hybrid through 9i for chip and runs otherwise always putt from off the green. It's an old one but generally a bad putt is better than a bad chip!

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Id just go out and enjoy it, the course was in great condition for the Scottish open.

only advice i would give is keep the ball in play as the fairways on the front are very narrow on the whole. i doubt you would need driver that often.

RobertB

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I wouldn't bother with 60 - what bounce on other wedges? Main thing it to recalibrate completely from in-land courses - any club that will make the shot you visualise is fine. 5i/6i chip and run from 50 yds fine (chipper!).

before you head off try to get sense of how hard fairways and areas around greens are, but for aberdeen I guess it'll be like the other week, unless they've gone into course recovery mode and been doing a bit of watering.

As others have said if any wind, just club up and swing easy, be careful of ballooning shots into green often in trying to hit easy people hit down too hard, and with hard turf you get more backspin and up the ball goes (and fall short into that pot bunker at the front!) Sweep it or nip it off ground.

DCB

Visit site
I wouldn't bother with 60 - what bounce on other wedges? Main thing it to recalibrate completely from in-land courses - any club that will make the shot you visualise is fine. 5i/6i chip and run from 50 yds fine (chipper!).

Great advice. And remember, you can also putt from way off the green if needed, percentage shots is the answer.

Have fun and enjoy yourself. Don't put too much pressure on yourself, just go out and have fun and use it as a big learning experience.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Put both a 1 and 2 iron in the bag for use off the fairway.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
dont change your bag!

You'll just do more chip and runs as opposed to high floppy shots, but they also are needed to pins tucked behind bunkers.

So IMO dont change your clubs just tweak how you play certain shots.

Enjoy and good luck, Links golf is the best golf.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
No shame in using a putter or hybrid from well off the green. Especially if you don't fancy the chip.
If you are playing a chip and run, imagine the shot in your head then concentrate hard on playing to the spot where you want the first bounce to go.

Good luck and play with a smile on your face.