Links golf advice

Bucket92

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I'm going up to West Wales tommorow to play at Borth and Ynyslas golf club on Saturday and Sunday and was wondering if anyone had any advice for me on how to play to the specific conditions of links golf. Seeing as I've only played one round on a links course before, I could do with a bit of advice. Cheers

6inchcup

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
i am not being awful but looking at your h/c don't be trying to fill your head with different things,play your normal game and enjoy yourself,what is the use of trying new things that will probably not work for you,enjoy the experience and just play each shot at a time.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I'm going up to West Wales tommorow to play at Borth and Ynyslas golf club on Saturday and Sunday and was wondering if anyone had any advice for me on how to play to the specific conditions of links golf. Seeing as I've only played one round on a links course before, I could do with a bit of advice. Cheers

I'll give you a few good bits of advice.

1) if you can putt it ( from off the green) do so

2) stay out of fairway (pot) bunkers, each time you go in one just make sure get it out, no heroics.

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
Given the weather I'd be interested to hear from guys who play on links if the usual links type of advice (e.g. playing bump and runs and using the contours) is relevant at the moment. I imagine the fairways and greens are pretty soft. Do you find you are playing more through the air? I guess the wind is still a significant factor. Any insights?

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
Given the weather I'd be interested to hear from guys who play on links if the usual links type of advice (e.g. playing bump and runs and using the contours) is relevant at the moment. I imagine the fairways and greens are pretty soft. Do you find you are playing more through the air? I guess the wind is still a significant factor. Any insights?

Nothing wrong with the weather at the moment, sunny and warm with a wee bit of a breeze so I would just play as normal.

Bucket92

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
That's what I was thinking, playing more bump and run shots over the contours and from short of the green, instead playing slightly risky wedge shots. The forecast for the weekend says possible showers, so if we're lucky we shouldn't be affected too much by the rain :)

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site

I play all my golf on links course.
it depens on the conditions. my home course you can play it like a parkland if the greens are soft.

I was listening to some of the american girls before the curtis cup, say they had been practicing their bump and runs an knockdown shots. waste of time that was.

a week later we had a spell of dry weather and you had to land the ball short and let it run on.

Played at Fortrose while the curtis cup was on and you had to land it short and run it up. The the dornoch struie the same time you could hit 8 iron from 190 yards and what it bounce and run on 50 yards.

With linlks you are hardly place the same conditions 2 days running, that the fun.

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks for those comments.

Going to be interesting at the Open if it is playing soft with no wind. Could make for low scores and anyone's tournament.

Different ketlle of fish though if it's wet and windy.

6inchcup

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks for those comments.

Going to be interesting at the Open if it is playing soft with no wind. Could make for low scores and anyone's tournament.

Different kettle of fish though if it's wet and windy.
a close friend was up at royal lytham last week on business(catering franchise) and he said the course looked in fabulous condition and a viserting green keeper said he had never seen the rough so thick and deep,bring it on!!!! the only thing that would spoil it is the weather,soft fairways receptive greens NOT what we expect from a links.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
pick the ball more off the turf rather than taking bif divots if thats your style around parkland courses. i found i pulled my shots when i tried to take big divots on links.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
I know that course really well. My mum has a holiday home there. My best advice is to put the big dog away, unless you are very consistently straight with it. It is not the most generous course in parts, especially with the road running through the middle of the course and the sea wall in play on quite a few of the holes.

I have always found learning how to play a nice controlled punch into the wind on links courses is the way forward. I work out what club it is taking the wind into account, then add another one, grip it down, back ion my stance and put a smoother slower swing on it to reduce the back spin. Also being good at 7 iron chips will help a lot.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
I know the course well.

It's not long off the Yellows and you won't need your driver that much.

If it's really bad weather you'll struggle. If not, don't sweat it, play your normal game and enjoy!

Just don't go too mad on the 2nd. Nice easy 3 or 5 wood, gentle iron down the centre, pitch on.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Concepts of par and yardage can go out the window in links golf. A 500 yard hole can be an easy 2 shorter and a 380 yard hole out of range in 2; a 5 iron may go 130 yards or 200 yards. Take the holes as you find them and play them the most sensible way you can get down the hole.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Concepts of par and yardage can go out the window in links golf. A 500 yard hole can be an easy 2 shorter and a 380 yard hole out of range in 2; a 5 iron may go 130 yards or 200 yards. Take the holes as you find them and play them the most sensible way you can get down the hole.

Yep.

I do remember hitting a 227 yard 5 iron at Borth once.

and a 120 chip with a 3 wood (played like a 20 yarder) on a downhill hole at Hayling Island once.

That's what makes it fun. :)