Lining up a putt

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Specifically using a line or manufacturers stamp as a guide.

Ball_With_Line.jpg

Noticed a few folk around my track do this. Is it really a viable way of lining up a putt?

I don't do it myself, but could be convinced if it'll improve my putting further :thup:

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
It can work. I use the method and although it doesn't help green reading it does help me get the ball rolling along the line I think is correct. Also provides instant visable feedback of your stroke. A good stroke the ball will roll along the axis of the line on the ball. A poor stroke and the line will appear either solid and wide or wobbly depending on the pace of the stroke.

Helps after lining up the ball to step back and look back along the line before you take the putt.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I can't seem to manage it! Must be an optical thing. Sometimes I try it and it lines up bang on my intended line, then I think its great. But there's other times Im adjusting the ball and cant seem to get it on the line I want so just give up. In light of this I've almost cut it out altogether, no point wasting time tinkering with the ball that could be spent reading the putt. If I'm in a 4 ball with folk to play and loads of time I might do it. As they say - suck it and see. :eek:

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
Also found it handy from the tee. Line it up on the target. Then line up square to the line on the ball. Works left or right handed!!

Jay1

Head Pro
Visit site
I'm not a fan of it, I like looking down at a completely plain part of the ball. I definitely wouldn't use it for breaking puts as I think these should be more about feel, but can possibly see the benefit on straight ones or anything that isn't turning from outside the hole.

sev112

Tour Winner
Visit site
Also found it handy from the tee. Line it up on the target. Then line up square to the line on the ball. Works left or right handed!!

How on earth do you do this on the tee - you will be looking at teh ball from an angle of about 30 to 45 degrees, so you cant see a straight line any more ?

m10johnson

Head Pro
Visit site
I tried to use this for a few weeks but found I could never be happy with the line.

I now putt looking down at as much solid white as I can.

Try it and see how you get on.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
So a mixed bag so far then.

A further question.

Do you (...Those that do) line the line up with the line you want to start the ball on or the high point of the break (... If any)?

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site

A further question.

Do you (...Those that do) line the line up with the line you want to start the ball on or the high point of the break (... If any)?

I tried The Line years ago and couldn't get on with it.
But putting has always been my weakness, so when I had a lesson with a new pro and he suggested it, I thought I would give it a go.

Total convert now.
My putting is so much better.
One thing I have always been good at is reading the break in putts, just was rubbish at hitting the ball!
I set line in the direction i want to start the ball on, checking from behind the ball
I use a Karsten craz-e putter
putter.jpg
And set it with ball line and putter line nicely lined up
When I stand over the ball, I always feel like I am aiming too far left, but as long as I trust my initial lining up, the ball goes where I intended.
Sometimes I will "tweak" my aim when standing over the ball... ususally a mistake!

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
How on earth do you do this on the tee - you will be looking at teh ball from an angle of about 30 to 45 degrees, so you cant see a straight line any more ?

Just the same as a putt. Line it up from behind. Then square up to the line from the side. Whats so hard about that?

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Totally converted to this method.

I drain some monsters these days, it just takes a while to get proficient at using it.

First few games I was slow and uncoordinated setting it up.

I'm currently a putt or two a round better off doing this. Usually long ones.

It's more than just viable - the pro that C/F my putter said I *must* do it, as I actually see putts a little left of target.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com

A further question.

That's a very clever question....... [I know you posted it accidentally!! ;) LOL]

You should actually line the ball up OUTSIDE the high point of the break.

here's apic... as you can see the starting line of the putt is well outside the high point of the break.... [click to enlarge...]

line.jpg

:thup:

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I'm converted to the line now too and once I have the line sorted I just line my putter and concentrate on the stroke and pace, so far so good. Pace is now my biggest issue.

Evesdad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Gave up in the line just didn't get on with it. I'm right eye dominant and feel too far right even though I know it's on line. Read the break well just struggle to get it up there sometimes! Working on it though, had a putting lesson on Saturday and can see progress already.

6inchcup

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
i have always used the line on the ball to aid my putting,after finding the line i wish my putt to follow on the green i then line the mark on the ball along this imaginary line then line my putter sight line along the line of the ball then i know i am going to be hitting the ball along the imaginary line,i only have to concentrate on keeping the blade square and striking the ball dead centre.

sev112

Tour Winner
Visit site
That's a very clever question....... [I know you posted it accidentally!! ;) LOL]

You should actually line the ball up OUTSIDE the high point of the break.

here's apic... as you can see the starting line of the putt is well outside the high point of the break.... [click to enlarge...]

View attachment 2104

:thup:

Only if you believe Mr Pelz and putt on almost frictionless greens (like his experiement surfaces in his book)
To the other extreme, if friction on the green was maximum then whatever the slope you would putt straight at the hole.
So in reality (ie the greens we play on) the start-line/vector is somewhere between the 2 extremes, with Augusta closer to your start vector, and my home greens close to the latter

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Gave up in the line just didn't get on with it. I'm right eye dominant and feel too far right even though I know it's on line.

Whoops. This is exactly WHY you should be using the line. I too am right eye dominant and it DOES feel too far right, too true :)

I paid £35 to find this out.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site

Hmm. For the first time in ages, maybe even my whole history, I don't get this.

On a big breaking putt, I see the travel of the ball in my mind and find a mark on the green 3-5 (?) foot towards the hole, and line up the ball to that. I think that is essentially what you are saying. I don't aim the ball at the widest point of the arc of travel.... ?? :)

Mostly, I read breaking putts as just outside the hole, or 6 inches outside or whatever. Getting these right take years of experience and I don't make many as a percentage. Nobody does, do they?

I miss as many on the high side as the low side. Can't be doing with complicating the issue further.