Lifting the left heel ( right handed golfer ) why does it help

Wolfman

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Just recently i have been letting my left heel to raise in the back swing while keeping a flexed right leg with my right leg knee pointing inwards vey slightly ( keeps weight on inside of foot )

on the down swing planting the left heel down again

The results have been fantastic, coming into the ball less steep and better contact with the ball

This has resulted in better distance and straighter shots

Why does this tiny move make so much difference ?

I had noticed Shawn Clements does this and a few other golfers but it seems to work for me too !

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
It allows the right hip more turn in the backswing and also more shoulder turn too...... It can be over done though also.....Causing a swaying which can lead to all manner of misses.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Lifting the left heel was pretty much the norm until the early/mid 80's. If you look at Nick Faldo, post Leadbetter, you'll see his left heel doesn't come up at all.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It can allow a bigger shoulder turn, especially for older golfers who loose some flexibility. If the heel is planted firmly back down at transition it can assist with weight transfer back to the front foot. Some think of squashing a cola can with the left heel at the start of the downswing.