Life Expectancy of Golf Club Grips

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Had to have my 3w & a hybrid re-gripped this season (both about 6 years each) and it was grip wear rather than damage that meant they needed replaced

The grips on my 3 yr old driver and fairway and other hybrid are still good for another couple of seasons but I suspect my irons all have their original Cobra grips on them after 15 years

I can’t be 100% sure but I do know for sure they’ve not changed in the last 6 yrs while I’ve been their owner and it’s the same grips I see in the photos of them when new & they’ve had plenty of use even in the time I've had them (say about 200 rounds plus several hundred range visits) and still show no signs whatsoever of needing replaced

Main difference is that the irons have the ‘wrap’ style of rubber grip while the other clubs have a varied selection of perforations/cut patterns etc

Anyone know if wrap style is supposed to be this ‘everlasting’ Is/was it ever, a selling point of this style?

Do grips on irons typically last longer/shorter than woods?

How often (rounds) would you look to replace your grips?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
It is suggested that grips should be replaced every year as the dirt and grease they pick up from general use begins to degrade the rubber.
A lot also depends on how "hard" you are on them. Also the type and brand.
I had a Mizzy Fli-hi for 3 years of constant use and the multi-compound grip looked perfect.
On the other hand, a fairway with a standard Tour Velvet needed replacing after a year.
Normally I'm not too hard on grips and expect to get a couple of hundred rounds from mine..

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
A chap I play with has some TM Burner irons at least 10 years old with a wrap style grip that is still soft and tacky. No pattern or cord just a sort of smooth but tacky compound. They are amazing. Wonder if they are the same grips.

On the subject does anyone else find that the coloured lower part of GP multi-compound grips gets smooth and hard very quickly?

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
It is suggested that grips should be replaced every year as the dirt and grease they pick up from general use begins to degrade the rubber.
I had a Mizzy Fli-hi for 3 years of constant use and the multi-compound grip looked perfect.
On the other hand, a fairway with a standard Tour Velvet needed replacing after a year.
Normally I'm not too hard on grips and expect to get a couple of hundred rounds from mine..

Yeah I can imagine some of the premier grips being a bit like F1 tyres and are seriously grippy but might only last a season (in some kind of trade off)

D

Deleted member 15344

No idea how long they are supposed to last but I replace mine every march.

Mozza73

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I have a set of Golf Pride VDR's on my irons which were a steal from AG at £1 each. I have hit between 50-100 range balls every weekend for the last year and they are still almost as good as new.

Fish

Banned
Visit site

I was looking at mine the other day but when I was at Staverton last Thursday one of those 'Club Clean' guys was there so I had my clubs cleaned and the grips are now like new again, such a shamazing difference, so, like everything, isn't it more a case of how you look after things and how you clean them you will get more out of them?

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site

Agree with Ian on this.

The M21 Mizuno grips on my 63's have been on, from new, in early March. The clubs I use most (5,6,7 and 8 irons) the grips have got a shine on the grip and a horrid sticky/tacky feel. Despite cleaning, the feeling persists.

When new, they felt quite harsh. Not cord-harsh, but you could feel the pattern of the grip. Now they feel quite smooth with this sticky/tacky feel. They are 8 months old.

The M31 grips on my wedges have lasted much better but are still showing wear. They are also 8 months old.

I play 27-36 holes of a weekend with 2 range sessions thrown in, maybe more if time permits.

I'm regripping everything apart from my putter in my bag over the Christmas period.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I have tour velvet and play 4-5 times a weeks in summer and practicing on the other days. Add in weekend games and several range sessions in winter and they get pretty heavy use. I, well the wife, cleans them every 2-3 weeks and they are still going strong after 12 months. I do tend to change them every 12-15 months anyway.