Lessons now?

YamiKuriboh

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I should probably get some as my swing is getting worse, rather than better, and I haven't had any for while.

Is anyone thinking of having lessons now given Winter is coming or are people deferring it to the new year?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Having one shortly. Why put it off? If there is a fault then it will continue until you have the lesson and playing will get you down. Get a lesson, get it fixed and enjoy golf again (until the next fault kicks in :D)

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If you're going to do it now is the time, if you leave it a couple more months it gets harder to motivate yourself to hit the range when it's dark early and cold all the time. Swing changes take a very long time to bed in and require many many swings/struck balls to become natural. If you start now and have 1 a month for the next few months you should be getting more comfortable by the time the white tees go back out (but don't expect it'll be fully bedded in by then, can take another stage of progression hitting off the turf as opposed to the range and again when it stops being soggy and starts hardening up. Oh the joys. I do think it's worth it though, its sounds like ultimately you know you're not going to get any better doing what you're doing.

Good luck and find a good coach! Plenty advice on that to be had here.

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
I'm having some during my holiday next week, and then again in November, when I go to Portugal with the same coach. I figured it will then give me time during the whole winter to work on the changes. (Even though I must admit I find it hard to find practice time in winter).

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Have a lesson booked for this Sunday. My season finishes on Saturday with our open, figured might as well get started straight away for next year. Best to get them this tie of year when games are not for handicap and just for fun, means you can actually work on the changes instead of thinking this isn't working I'll go back to what I did before.

YamiKuriboh

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Interesting responses.

I kind of feel I just want the season to be over, hunker down and then start again afresh in the new year with new lessons and a new focus.

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Now is the best time, lessons over Autumn/Winter when there's less/no comps

Then ready to fire on all cylinders come the Spring :thup:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Interesting responses.

I kind of feel I just want the season to be over, hunker down and then start again afresh in the new year with new lessons and a new focus.

Do you play much over winter? If not then I would tend to agree with your thoughts. If you intend to play a lot then I would take the lesson now. Whatever we think, it is up to you.

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I suppose it all depends on what you want to get out of the lessons. If you just want a tidy up of your swing check the basics etc, then next year would be fine. If you want to start making improvements to the swing, making substantial changes then starting now and giving yourself more time to implement the changes then that's the way to go.

Personally I felt that I've lost a year this year with the way I've played and had hoped I would be lower than I am but it just hasn't worked out that way. I plan to get started quick this off season and get a jump on sorting things out. Big area for me to improve is all shots inside 150 yards, as that is where I loose most of my shots. I know that will take time and commitment from me to improve this, so might as well start early.

YamiKuriboh

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Personally I felt that I've lost a year this year with the way I've played and had hoped I would be lower than I am but it just hasn't worked out that way. I plan to get started quick this off season and get a jump on sorting things out. Big area for me to improve is all shots inside 150 yards, as that is where I loose most of my shots. I know that will take time and commitment from me to improve this, so might as well start early.

I feel the same Garush. You've really given me a lot to think about - maybe I should get started quickly. Really don't want to feel like this next year. Can I ask how many lessons and how often you are planning over winter?

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I feel the same Garush. You've really given me a lot to think about - maybe I should get started quickly. Really don't want to feel like this next year. Can I ask how many lessons and how often you are planning over winter?

Depends on the changes i would say. Probably best discussing with your pro and taking it from there. Last year i only had two over the winter and one mid season. This year I'm thinking about 4, which would be about every 6 weeks give or take, but again would depend what we're working on. I'm going to discuss this with my pro on Sunday and work out a plan from there. May swap a swing lesson for a playing lesson too, to discuss overall game etc.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I suppose it all depends on what you want to get out of the lessons. If you just want a tidy up of your swing check the basics etc, then next year would be fine. If you want to start making improvements to the swing, making substantial changes then starting now and giving yourself more time to implement the changes then that's the way to go.

Will be booking a series of lessons for the winter and having a sit down before then with my pro to go through my stats, discuss my season and draw up a plan of action. Think we'll be looking at GIR in particular, FIR and then pitching but no doubt he'll have his own thoughts. I don't tend to play too much in the winter and would rather work on my game and any swing changes on a range rather than play on a frozen/waterlogged course but will go out and play every now and then to see how the changes hold up under pressure