Lessons and club fitting advice

Five&One

Head Pro
Visit site
Hi all.

Just returned to golf after an absence of 8-10 years(many reasons)

I am in the age bracket where retirement is becoming a consideration although its on the horizon rather than imminent. I am 55 okay !!!! Basically got into a position where I have a bit more time to play and enjoy the game as I used to.

I played off 16 at my best and I think I can still hit the ball well enough and I am still mobile and supple enough to get back to around that level (3 stones heavier though)however, after the absence my game is a bit of an inconsistent mess.

Driving. I have a Cobra S2 regular. I feel like I swing quite fast and I strike the ball pretty well. It all feels good and, the odd slice apart I am straighter than I have ever been. Distance though. I'm just not getting any carry.Generally between 190 and 205. Our course is damp just now so run isn't a factor but I'd like to think I can carry it consistently 20 yards further at least. I have never been a high 200's man and don't really expect to ever be one. I'd be happy with a consistently straight 230-240 drive,including the run,that I can rely upon.

Irons are brand new Cobra S3max which I loved on the range but I am hitting fat on the course. Big divots, lots of fluffs. Frustrating because I know they are right for me from my range work and I hit them long high accurate and pretty consistent. Why am I not doing it on the course ?

Short game and woods and hybrids off the deck are fine, satisfactory.

Putting is horrendous but I am happy to wait till the greens improve to pass full judgement as they are awful at my club at the moment.

Questions.

I will need lessons at some point. From the above, can anyone see the biggest area I might be able to work on myself for a bit and what area of my game should I be looking at lessons in first and foremost.

I want the best possible driver I can afford and I want to be fitted. When should you do that and make that commitment ? I can spend £200 or so but i only want to do it once? After playing regularly for a few months ? After a year. Right now ? When i get a handicap and get it down a bit ? After a driver specific lesson ? Or doesn't it really matter at mid to high handicap level ? Will going to a stiff flex help my distance on its own without a fitting ? How about a senior flex ?

My plan of attack for the year is to work away on my own for 3 months (with the odd social round) Then some lessons, then do my handicap card. I would be 25-28 if you gave me a card tomorrow which doesnt bother me ( never been a handicap snob) and is something to work from, then a fitting, then more lessons, then medals.

Lots of questions I know. Just looking to find out if anyone has decent advice which is contrary to the plan I have set for myself and if anyone is on a similar path to me or has any definite no no's I should be aware of. Should I just go and do the card right away and get right into medal play from the start for example. I am new to the club but quite easy going and sociable so meeting new people and playing with strangers doesn't bother me. Does it bother anyone else though. Will they want a newby hacker playing for his card losing his ball every 4th hole and spraying divots everywhere ? I only played in societies before, fairly big and very active ones so don't know a lot about the finer points of club membership.

Any contribution will help so crack on if you have something to add that might clear some of the fog for me and make the path a bit clearer and easier.

Last edited:

sev112

Tour Winner
Visit site
Go out and play the medals now , ESP if the weather is getting better

Ayone would be happy with 230 yards straight drives all the time, it is the panacea that we are all searching for
Might be who speaking to your pro about whether the shaft in your driver suits your swings and swing speed. Nothing wrong with the driver head nor the irons

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I'd say get your handicap and start playing competitions as soon as you can.

A possible reason for the difference orange to course is that range mats allow you to hit fat and get away with it because the club bounces off the mat. On the course at the moment, the club will dig into the soft ground.

LIG

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Your story mirrors my own - except for the age bit :D

You should stick to your own plan! It's a great plan! :thup:

IMHO you're likely to enjoy your course play more once you stop duffing and that is easier corrected at the range.

Speak to your pro about an initial lesson to avoid grooving a "bad" swing, then practice that swing until you feel comfortable, then get fitted. You can submit handicap cards at any time but I'd wait at least until after the initial 3month period of getting your swing back.

Happy swinging!:thup:

mab

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I agree with the posts above - get your handicap and start playing in medals as soon as you can... as much for the added enjoyment you'll get from golf as anything else.

Edit - I was also considering the social aspects here. If your preference would be to improve your golf before playing in comps and you think you'd get as much enjoyment doing it that way, then great. :)

Regarding your driving, the Internet is full of people who think they drive the ball 50 yards further than they actually do. If you know your swing speed, use the Tajectory Optimiser on the following site and play with a few variables:

www.flightscope.com

I'm on iPad so can't see the variables at the moment. However, use a smash factor of around 1.48 and, for your swing speed, you'll see what your potential is with the driver. Remember, that's your POTENTIAL, i.e. the best you can achieve - it is not what you should be expecting on every drive.

As for fitting, in my opinion, going to Nevada Bobs, American Golf, etc. to hit three drivers with their stock shafts and choosing the best of what is likely a mediocre bunch for you, is not particularly effective. There are people that do proper custom fitting but not sure what options you have in your part of the world. Post on the main board and I'm sure someone will advise.

There's nothing wrong with your driver though - its a great club. You could always keep an eye out for shafts on eBay with the characteristics you think would improve your ballflight / launch conditions to maximise your potential.

Last edited:

El Bandito

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Very personal choices. My thoughts:

1. Presumably, you are coming back to Golf because you enjoy it. So get out there and play. Enjoy it! I have never met members whom have had a problem with spraying the ball all over the place (nor a member who has not sprayed it round at some point!)
2. You can play golf. 16 handicap shows that. Absolutely nothing wrong with the bats. A bit of age, a bit of ballast and some time away is going to make a difference. I would recommend a 'basics' lesson with the pro, some practice and lots and lots of golf!
3. Driver fitting. Go for a proper one when you are ready. (Not American golf etc) go with a completely open mind. I would probably leave it until I felt my swing (for all its flaws) was consistent. I wouldn't look to change your flex without a fitting.

Most important, get out there and enjoy it!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Get out and play and see how it goes. If you are struggling I would advocate a few lessons first. If you are looking at C/F then I would suggest getting a swing that repeats (as much as possible) so you aren't getting fitted and then rebuilding a swing after your have the specs sorted.

In_The_Rough

Tour Winner
Visit site
Get out and play and see how it goes. If you are struggling I would advocate a few lessons first. If you are looking at C/F then I would suggest getting a swing that repeats (as much as possible) so you aren't getting fitted and then rebuilding a swing after your have the specs sorted.

Agree with the above. If at all possible as well try and avoid practicing your Iron shots off mats as has been mentioned fat shots turn out quite good and I tend to find out that you do not not really learn much. They are good for practicing your tee shots but for owt else a definite no no

Five&One

Head Pro
Visit site
Belated thanks to all for some great responses and superb little tips.

So, had a think. Decided to change club to one a bit more local with a bigger membership and a huge grass practice area rather than a matted range. It also has a social scene I am on the fringes of already so I know a few guys that play. It's not cheap but there is a saving on petrol. No more irons off mats for this boy.

Will be getting the H/cap ASAP and playing as many medals as I can. Keeping the current driver as it goes straight and thats good enough for now, taking lessons and just play play play until the scoring justifies a fitting and an all singing all dancing Big DOG.

thanks again chaps.