Less loft has given me more carry?!

Liqdaddymac

Head Pro
Visit site
Well, I am truly confused now!

managed to get a 30 min session on a GC2 monitor to try and get my R1 setup as good as possible and was thinking 11.25* may be the best.......turns out I got the best carry distance with it set at 8.75. The R1 set at 8.75 was pretty much identical as the Covert set at 8.5N.

I was getting 153 - 156 ball speed, 2050 - 2150 spin and the carry was 260 (and a few yards either way).

Has anyone else had experience of this, I guess it's something to do with spin, as to start with the spin was up at 3000-3250 and carry was only 235-245?

I thinks it's time to book a full on custom fit session - no ideal prep for club championships this weekend!

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Well, I am truly confused now!

managed to get a 30 min session on a GC2 monitor to try and get my R1 setup as good as possible and was thinking 11.25* may be the best.......turns out I got the best carry distance with it set at 8.75. The R1 set at 8.75 was pretty much identical as the Covert set at 8.5N.

I was getting 153 - 156 ball speed, 2050 - 2150 spin and the carry was 260 (and a few yards either way).

Has anyone else had experience of this, I guess it's something to do with spin, as to start with the spin was up at 3000-3250 and carry was only 235-245?

I thinks it's time to book a full on custom fit session - no ideal prep for club championships this weekend!

what were the launch angles relative to the loft settings.....it's all going to be in there

Liqdaddymac

Head Pro
Visit site
Launch was mostly around 11.2 (8.5) with Covert and 11.4 (8.75) with R1, have no idea if that means I am around +2.7 AOA or if I am hitting down on the ball and have negative AOA as the GC2 doesnt show this as far as I could see.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I've certainly seen similar results - a 10.5 cranked to 8.5 worked best for colleague.

I suspect it's Spin and Launch combined.

GC2 can show Head details with an upgrade (HMT) - also requires some 'position indicators' on the head.

Last edited:

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
With 150-odd ball speed, you have decent clubhead speed, probably around 105. That means that optimal launch for you is probably lower than someone with 90 mph clubhead speed, say, and so long as the spin and launch get along, all is good.

Note also that because it says 8.75 degrees, it may not necessarily be so. Tests on golf clubs have shown up to 2 degrees variance on the true loft, always in the direction which flatters the player.

granters

Q-School Graduate
www.theirvinegolfclub.co.uk
I get more distance on my razr fit on its lowest setting. Flies much flatter ,definitely less spin and hangs forever. On the more lofted settings it goes higher but tends to balloon and stall in the air. I hit up on the ball though. Loft is just a number

Nashy

Head Pro
Visit site
Those spin and launch numbers are very good, this will be why you were getting more distance when you changed the settings as its now a better fit for you.