Left foot flare?

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Has anyone got any info on left foot angle/setup?

Never given it any thought until today.

Currently 20-30 degrees with the right and probably 30-40 degrees with the left.

Some folks seem convinced there are benefits to adjusting.

Any thoughts or anecdotes from lessons?

billyfish

Visit site
I think that the default on your feet position is 10 to 2 as on a clock face that's how I do it. This becomes automatic one less thing to think about.

Last edited:

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
I prefer to see the back foot square and the front foot turned out 10-20 deg

Thanks Bob. You wouldn't by any chance have an opinion on any plans/methods that ask the player to deliberately move either of the feet a certain way. My first ever pro suggested just a little turned out both sides (more left), but I seem to remember reading that turning the left out more can ease rotation on the downswing.

Just a niggle in my brain really. I'm off to practise so I'll try a few things...

Thanks.

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
I prefer to see the back foot square and the front foot turned out 10-20 deg

This is what i do.....I think it means that keeping the back foot square eliminates swaying and opening the front foot helps with turning through the shot and finishing with the weight on the left leg in a posted and balanced finish.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
I tried a few set-ups (just got back from marathon practise!) and will go with the right almost square and the left "generously" turned out, but certainly not anywhere near 45 degrees. That was just *mad*....

I tell you what though, playing about with this is instant head-damaging - turn the left foot a bit too much and my alignment stick tells me my toe line is now open....only a fraction of course, but you know me.

Hit some good balls today, must be hitting is OK as my short irons have grooves full of ball covering... :)

Just noticed - 4.43pm to 8.11pm. That's quite a long time even with 15 minutes to the range.

This tends to happen when the nice chap/lady goes home and locks up.....makes all the balls sitting in front of the bays (not mine :() look rather keen to be hit again!!

Last edited: