Leeds Golf Centre - Wike Ridge

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I played here on 31.07.16 with my son. I won a voucher to play here at the H4H online auction last year and this was me using it. First of all, I must congratulate Leeds Golf Centre. If you want to know how to bring golf into the modern era, bring families, women and children into golf then go and visit this place. An awful lot of clubs could learn a great deal by taking a trip here, looking around and speaking to the management. They have a driving range, a par 3 course, a footgolf course and an 18 hole course. The pro shop is large with a good range. The bar, come lounge come cafe is the biggest winner for me though. Friendly, relaxed, welcoming, good pricing, great range. This place does coffee and cake. Not just one cake but a selection. It is split into different areas so you can lounge on a settee, or sit upright in a chair. Basically, it encourages people to use it and I saw families, golfers and all sorts in there. No kids running around or chavs in football shirts but it was a great place to be before and after a round. Did I mention they do cakes? Nice ones too.

So, to the course. It is on top of hills so being breezy is almost inevitable but it also gives lovely views. The fairways are generous, well cut and the greens are immaculate. Not super fast but very true. Bunkers at good locations with plenty of sand, trees planted to shape each fairway. There are some good par 3's and some good par 4's particularly a couple of downhill ones that lead to greens over water. It's weakness is a lack of a range of lengths and the fact that most of the holes are just straight. The greenkeepers have cleverly cut the fairways to give an image of shape but actually there often is none. That makes too many holes just up and down. A few more dog legs or even gentle curves would have helped hugely.

Did this affect matters? Not really, We had a fun day. It's never going to be a top 10 course but it would make a great place for a society or a course you would play as part of 3 on a golf weekend. It wont beat you up, no long rough means you can find your ball in all but extreme circumstances, but it is still a test, particularly if the wind is blowing. On a still day I suspect you would score well. We smiled as we left and that can't be a bad sign.