Latest swing (caution contains videos)

philly169

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Since having brought my MP59's I havent managed to give them a proper going over on the range, so popped to Direct Golf in Cambridge and gave their new grass area a whirl (had to become a member for £10 a year). Was striking the ball very nicely for a 21 handicapper with a fairly bladey club..

Two things I've picked up on: 1) shoulders are quite open 2) quite wristy on my takeaway... Any positives/negatives you guys can see?

7 iron

[video=youtube;mU-0lex8wI0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mU-0lex8wI0&feature=youtu.be[/video]

5 iron

[video=youtube;MPj3WRX58aE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPj3WRX58aE&feature=youtu.be[/video]

ps. sorry for the crap size, need to learn to film it in landscape from the iphone...

Last edited by a moderator:

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not that I was going to comment (just enjoy!) but I fear your links are not quite right.....they're not blue and you can't click on them. :)

Oooh, magic genie....fixed.....

philly169

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not that I was going to comment (just enjoy!) but I fear your links are not quite right.....they're not blue and you can't click on them. :)

Oooh, magic genie....fixed.....

You were too eager to respond! links fixed. can't work out how to add the actual embedded link!

​I can ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

macca64

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Don't look to bad to me,not sure if its camara angle,but how's your grip position looks a bit strong or is it weak get those mixed up,

philly169

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
not skilled enough to critique but you do look a bit wobbly at the finish (balance maybe)

looked nice and smooth though, wanna swap swings :D

yeah, balance was a bit off today, swinging too hard i thinks. Now your at 26 gibbo, i'd keep your swing its obviously going to help you :)

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
I fear the Kid, Just One and others may be lining up another epic battle over plane.....

(Not the 747 type....)

:(

Whoops, I've said too much.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
not on plane but not far off! and for a 21 h/capper its an excellent swing- no way you'll stay at 21 with that swing unless you 3 putt everything.

The video quality is excellent, iPhone 4 and what software?

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
right hand looks a little strong but i played with a fella tonight who plays of 11 and having a really strong right hand doesnt hold him back one bit. he was level par after 9 holes.

timchump

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
can't believe your off 21, looks good, is your home club Carnoustie?

the new mizunos sound sweet to

only thing i thought is your follow through looked a bit cramped, id try extending the arms pointing at the target a bit more

philly169

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
not on plane but not far off! and for a 21 h/capper its an excellent swing- no way you'll stay at 21 with that swing unless you 3 putt everything.

The video quality is excellent, iPhone 4 and what software?

Just a standard iphone4 and uploaded to YouTube. Tried trimming it on iMovie on iPad but because it's filmed in portrait it cuts the top off. Nightmare putting it in to gasp for iPad.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I got the impression the right hand was a bit strong as well. It looks like you're set to go then you regrip with your right hand putting your fingers under the shaft then wrapping around with the rest of your hand.

That and falling off balance a touch with the 5 iron are the only things I noticed, but then I'm no swing expert.

I think it looks nicer than mine! :mad:

D

Deleted Member 1156

I've definitely seen worse swings than yours...often on lower handicappers. You were losing those shots out to the right....right? You are spinning out of the ball a fraction early, try to keep your eye focused on where the ball was at address and let the natural momentum of the swing pull you up to your finishing position.

And yes, your right hand is too far under the shaft which will cause issues. Make sure you grip the club in your fingers rather than palms of your hands, you will get a much better release of the club that way.

But overall, a pretty solid swing. Work on your short game and you'll get down to a very good handicap without too many problems :thup:

Ian_S

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Looks nice. Thought your takeaway looked a little odd as you turn your hands over and presumably open the face up, but the end result looked decent so from my (admittedly untrained) eye I wouldn't worry too much. Just wondered if that's a concious thing you do.