Late starting times

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
I'm a staunch 8.30 to 9.00am started on Saturday mornings.

Covid in Wales means not being allowed to go to my home club so playing one of the reciprocals again today....not off till 1.20.

Been sat in front of the TV since 10.00...even done some ironing and peeled veg for dinner. (Wife teed off at her course at 9.00)

Blimey...this is daft... we are indeed creatures of habit

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm a staunch 8.30 to 9.00am started on Saturday mornings.

Covid in Wales means not being allowed to go to my home club so playing one of the reciprocals again today....not off till 1.20.

Been sat in front of the TV since 10.00...even done some ironing and peeled veg for dinner. (Wife teed off at her course at 9.00)

Blimey...this is daft... we are indeed creatures of habit

"Wife teed off at 9.00."

Here's an idea .... oh, never mind.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
I hate late times. For reasons I cannot fathom, if you’re out in anything other than the first half dozen groups in a comp at ours it backs up really quickly.

It’s not generally down to the early groups, who are invariably round in just over four hours, but as I walk off 18 most weeks there will be two groups on the 10th tee and another group putting out on 9.

Oh, for some robust marshalling. Or marshalling of any kind, come to think of it.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Many years ago when I used to go to college one morning a week I teed of at 1.30 and never failed to make it round but I am talking weekday not weekend.

See a few groups putting out in the dark one the 18th green on a Saturday in winter where I play.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Playing in the 4 man team season closer at Nairn, our time was 12, not enough time do do anything before, and not home till after 4 so not much light left, so do much when i got home.

not a fan of playing later either

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
In the summer months an evening round or afternoon round is fine, 2-5pm starts. In winter if not off by half 12 it’s a bit pointless, if the light doesn’t get you some weather is sure to instead

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm lucky enough not to have to bother playing at weekends and just play in the week, and brilliant it is too. I have to confess when I used to play at weekends my best ever comp rounds have come in an afternoon. I used to play in the afternoons in the week. It's like millionaires golf. Course clear no hold ups. Brilliant.

D

Deleted member 21258

You keep to those earlier tee times, I like those later tee times quiet:p:D

sunshine

Visit site
I hate late times. For reasons I cannot fathom, if you’re out in anything other than the first half dozen groups in a comp at ours it backs up really quickly.

It’s not generally down to the early groups, who are invariably round in just over four hours, but as I walk off 18 most weeks there will be two groups on the 10th tee and another group putting out on 9.

Oh, for some robust marshalling. Or marshalling of any kind, come to think of it.

Sounds like the earlier groups are very slow and holding up everyone else. "Just over four hours" is snail's pace when you're at the front of a comp with an open course ahead of you.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Sounds like the earlier groups are very slow and holding up everyone else. "Just over four hours" is snail's pace when you're at the front of a comp with an open course ahead of you.
Agree the robust marshalling looks like it should focus on the early starters.
Careful though because there is no such thing as slow players amongst those who complain about slow play.:eek:

4 hours by early starters means that everyone following takes more than 4 hours for the round.
Mind you extended tee times [10mins] can generally sort this out.
Club golfers generally tee off the first as soon as the group in front are just out of range.
It is amazing how difficult it is to hold back first tee players when they know the cannot reach the players in front.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I dislike getting up early on Saturdays so I nearly always tee off between 11 and 1pm, or even later if it's summer and we've got more daylight. Green fees are normally cheaper, plus I get a bit of a lie-in, followed by breakfast/brunch, then off to the course. Nice and easy. Then a late afternoon pint, perfect.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
This is why I am not a fan of tee booking systems. If I play at the weekends (been a while as on a bit of a golf hiatus) then I want to be teeing off by 9.30 latest. I don't want to be sitting around in the morning wasting time waiting for an 11.00 tee time when there is also not enough time to do anything before hand. I also want to spend time with my wife at weekends and so want to be back by early afternoon so as the rest of the day is free. I may be a bit odd in this regard but I would rather have to be at the club an hour early to get the tee time I want than to find that I can never get that tee time because it is booked up quickly.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site

It never ceases to amaze me when others feel it within their gift to berate golfers for slow play when they don’t even know the course, set-up, conditions, competition format etc.

Just over four hours for a 4-ball, medal, back tees, on an exposed inland links prone to high winds, with a knee high second cut, is not a “snail’s pace”. It might be at your place, but not ours. You’re welcome to visit and find out for yourself!

It’s not the early groups. If you look back from the high points on the course you can see huge gaps between the later groups, often as much as two clear holes. That’s not down to early starters - it’s down to groups further down the field, failing to keep pace with those in front.

Unless, of course, you believe the first groups out can drag the slower players behind around with them?

?

D

Deleted member 3432

This is why I am not a fan of tee booking systems. If I play at the weekends (been a while as on a bit of a golf hiatus) then I want to be teeing off by 9.30 latest. I don't want to be sitting around in the morning wasting time waiting for an 11.00 tee time when there is also not enough time to do anything before hand. I also want to spend time with my wife at weekends and so want to be back by early afternoon so as the rest of the day is free. I may be a bit odd in this regard but I would rather have to be at the club an hour early to get the tee time I want than to find that I can never get that tee time because it is booked up quickly.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

Probably 70% of members want to play early so they have the rest of the day free. Simple fact is there are not enough tee times for this to happen.

Out of interest how did it work at your club previously?

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Probably 70% of members want to play early so they have the rest of the day free. Simple fact is there are not enough tee times for this to happen.

Out of interest how did it work at your club previously?

For non competition play, turn up and tee off and so I knew what time to get there if I wanted to be off by 9 but at least I had the option to do so. Competitions were booked but less people wanted to enter comps than there would be in a general play day and so I could normally get a time that was acceptable or, in the height of summer, go with a very late time so as there was time to do things before golf. Then again, I was happy with the arrangement when I used to be at Stoke Rochford, no tee times for anything, just turn up and play.

My point is that, with no booking I could, if I wanted, get to the club at 7 and know I would be off by 9. If those times are booked, I would have the benefit of no waiting but would, in all likelihood, not get a tee time that suited me most weekends.

Guessing both clubs have had tee booking throughout covid but will see what happens when this is all over.

D

Deleted member 3432

For non competition play, turn up and tee off and so I knew what time to get there if I wanted to be off by 9 but at least I had the option to do so. Competitions were booked but less people wanted to enter comps than there would be in a general play day and so I could normally get a time that was acceptable or, in the height of summer, go with a very late time so as there was time to do things before golf. Then again, I was happy with the arrangement when I used to be at Stoke Rochford, no tee times for anything, just turn up and play.

My point is that, with no booking I could, if I wanted, get to the club at 7 and know I would be off by 9. If those times are booked, I would have the benefit of no waiting but would, in all likelihood, not get a tee time that suited me most weekends.

Who knows what happens moving forward, could be that more active golfers may mean tee booking for clubs that didn't use it previously.

Personally I prefer a tee booking system, I don't play every weekend so just wait to a couple of days beforehand when people start dropping out and fill in a gap. Prefer early but if nothing available I will play late so I spend some time with my son before golf. Bonus of that is I get to play with more people.

Tend to play mid morning midweek when I'm on my rest days which means I can drop lad off at school and pick him up if need be.

Seems I have managed to edit out some of your reply and got my response into it. Not intentional just user error, I hope it still makes sense :oops:

Last edited by a moderator:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Off at 12.40 last Saturday. Very slow at 4 1/2 hours and so not in until 5.00 and so only time for a quick drink and home. Felt like the whole day was taken over by the golf. Usually play early and at least there is the afternoon and evening to do stuff

sunshine

Visit site
How Saturday works for me:
1. Look after the kids in the morning, do their breakfast etc. Build up some credit.
2. Play golf in the afternoon.
3. Home for dinner.