Large handicap cuts

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just seen on Twitter that a guy won Conwy's weekend competition with a net 56 (82 less 26). CSS was 73 so he was 17 shots under CSS. His handicap has dropped to 19. What's the largest cut that others have seen from just one comp?

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Par 70, CSS 73, Gross 66, Net 58

On a tough course too that rarely sees net par broken by more a few players each comp

Legit as well by all accounts

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
a guy at my club off 13 shot 74 gross in the first round of the club champs last year, CSS was 73

shot 96 in the 2nd round though

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
At my first club I shot gross 73 nett 59 on a CSS of 71 in a qualifying medal for the Lombard Trophy.
Can't remember how many shots I was slashed but I didn't play off 14 again.....

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
Guy I played with last week had been cut from 42 to 24.4 a week earlier after shooting 54 Stableford points in a a comp. He admits to being a bit of a bandit, though, because he did play a lot as a junior to a handicap of about 20 and then paused while he went to uni. Since he had been out of the game for a few years, he started out on a 54 handicap just like any beginner would in Germany. Everybody was relieved to see him get cut to the 24 which seems more realistic to his current level (he did play 36 pts off that in the round I played with him).

His brother is the same story, really. He played 46 pts last week.

And as I said in the "best scores" thread, I got cut from 54 to 36 in one go after shooting 54 pts (even though that was a supplementary card, not a comp).

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Guy I played with last week had been cut from 42 to 24.4 a week earlier after shooting 54 Stableford points in a a comp. He admits to being a bit of a bandit, though, because he did play a lot as a junior to a handicap of about 20 and then paused while he went to uni. Since he had been out of the game for a few years, he started out on a 54 handicap just like any beginner would in Germany. Everybody was relieved to see him get cut to the 24 which seems more realistic to his current level (he did play 36 pts off that in the round I played with him).

His brother is the same story, really. He played 46 pts last week.

And as I said in the "best scores" thread, I got cut from 54 to 36 in one go after shooting 54 pts (even though that was a supplementary card, not a comp).

Does the EGA system not take into account the player's previous playing and handicap history?

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
Does the EGA system not take into account the player's previous playing and handicap history?

Theoretically it does, but they tend to err massively on the high side. So a player who hasn't held an active handicap for several years will usually start out way higher than his last active handicap was.

In Germany the attitude towards handicaps is different. Vanity handicaps are very common and a player is much more likely being accused of cheating when keeping a handicap artificially low (for example by avoiding playing qualifiers in less than perfect conditions or during a phase they feel they are not playing well) than of banditry.